kayumanggi

SNOW WHITE | 03.21.2025 | Disney

7 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

It would be insane to think that a Snow White adaptation in 2023, with no star power and limited eye candy (there is no Hemsworth for the girls to thirst over here), and a less epic/fantasy mature tone will gross as much as SWATH did back in its day. 

Great full post! I'm just going to zoom this part. Girls thirsting over hot actors is super underrated factor these days. Movies that consider themselves modern think that removal of such eye candy is progressive but as Barbie shows thirsting for Ken's abs absolutely added upo to insane boxoffice. As did TGM abs (Barbie even referenced beach vollyball scene cause it was hot and nothing wrong with that). 

@MovieMan89 Great example how brilliant marketign can elevate a turkey and vice versa. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eric the Turtle said:

My dad watches that Huntsman movie once in a while when it pops up on cable TV. Think I've seen 20 or so sporadic minutes of it when I'm catching up with him to say hi. Not a lot to judge on of course, but I'm...very confused as to why my dad watches it.

Both Huntsman movies are actually pretty underrated fun adventure/action movies if you are into that sort of thing imo. I'm pretty sure my father does the same as yours and I'm pretty sure he actually prefers the second as it is a more straight-forward action movie.

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Great full post! I'm just going to zoom this part. Girls thirsting over hot actors is super underrated factor these days. Movies that consider themselves modern think that removal of such eye candy is progressive but as Barbie shows thirsting for Ken's abs absolutely added upo to insane boxoffice. As did TGM abs (Barbie even referenced beach vollyball scene cause it was hot and nothing wrong with that). 

@MovieMan89 Great example how brilliant marketign can elevate a turkey and vice versa. 

Yes the female gaze is often undermined/ignored, but it can be a draw. 

Also, I should add to my post that Charlize's Evil Queen was instantly iconic visually thanks to a very smart choice from the movie's costumer designers/producers, since they put her in gold for the most prominent scenes, in a clear reference to the "j'adore" ads that were basically everywhere back in the day (at least in Europe). Charlize's j'adore tv spots (especially the one where she walks in Versailles and meets Grace Kelly, Monroe and Greta Garbo) were so popular that even tv news broadcasts had full clips dedicated to its making of here, everytime a new one would come out it would be a pretty huge thing.

Gal Gadot might be beautiful but she is nowhere near as famous and iconic as Charlize was/is...

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Yes the female gaze is often undermined/ignored, but it can be a draw. 

Also, I should add to my post that Charlize's Evil Queen was instantly iconic visually thanks to a very smart choice from the movie's costumers/producers, since they put her in gold for the most prominent scenes, in a clear reference to the "j'adore" ads that were basically everywhere back in the day (at least in Europe). Charlize's j'adore tv spots (especially the one where she walks in Versailles and meets Grace Kelly, Monroe and Greta Garbo) were so popular that even tv news broadcasts had full clips dedicated to its making of here, everytime a new one would come out it would be a pretty huge thing.

Gal Gadot might be beautiful but she is nowhere near as famous and iconic as Charlize was/is...

I like Theriot but I would not call her Evil Queen Iconic..........................the film did not have that big an impact.

SOmeone is a fanboy, methinks.

Edited by dudalb

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I like Theriot but I would not call her Evil Queen Iconic..........................the film did not have that big an impact.

SOmeone is a fanboy, methinks.

I mean it wasn't her Evil Queen that was iconic as a character itself, it was more of a combination/lucky coincidence that the Queen's style/attire was very much reminiscent of the golden looks Charlize had for her J'adore ads, which were insanely popular and cemented her as a beauty icon. Much like (in a reverse scenario) Nicole Kidman's Chanel N°5 ad that was a pretty big hit too and was clearly inspired by Moulin Rouge.

I do think that Charlize is a terrific actress and is/was exceptionally beautiful though, so I could be a fanboy for sure.

1 hour ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I mean it wasn't her Evil Queen that was iconic as a character itself, it was more of a combination/lucky coincidence that the Queen's style/attire was very much reminiscent of the golden looks Charlize had for her J'adore ads, which were insanely popular and cemented her as a beauty icon. Much like (in a reverse scenario) Nicole Kidman's Chanel N°5 ad that was a pretty big hit too and was clearly inspired by Moulin Rouge.

I do think that Charlize is a terrific actress and is/was exceptionally beautiful though, so I could be a fanboy for sure.

I understand what you are saying. Her look in previews was captivating even if the movie didn't leave a mark in pop culture includng her character. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Is this going ti get the same backlash as TLM? People seem excited about this but complained about remakes and unorginal ideas with TLM....hmmmm

With TLM , though not a bomb, not doing what Disney probably expected it too, maybe audinces are finally getting tired of the live action remakes?

I never likes any of them, personally.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

marketing not going well when you click on snow white trending on twitter and top account endwokeness with 1.5m followers are talking about it, and Rachel is tweeting out today about being kind

There has been no marketing at all for this one so far, looks like Disney is trying to save as much money as possible.

As for the backlash, it's hard to say just how big it will be and how much it will affect the movie (either positevely or negatively): Peter Pan and Wendy had many progressive changes (a POC Peter, females in the lost boys, feminist Wendy and a POC Tinkerbell) yet it attracted very little backlash; sure that was a disney+ product, but still it went out smoothly.

TLM's backlash was huge but Snow White as a character is not an icon the same way Ariel is, and while Zegler isn't white, she still has the same eye/hair colour as the character and, much like Yara Shahidi who played Tinkerbell, has conventionally good looks, so this shouldn't be the same situation.

Regardless, the problem with the international markets is that the Asian countries will likely not be interested in this, while here in Europe there is a sense of fatigue towards these disney remakes, plus Snow White is perceived as something that's part folk tale part legend, so the modernized american version of it needs to be good to overcome a certain skepticisim (not that it is a "sacred" material or anyhting, but it's one of the most widely known and beloved tale, much like Kaguya-hime for the Japanese I would say... reworking that while also kind of taking its "european" elements out of it is a tough task). 

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

marketing not going well when you click on snow white trending on twitter and top account endwokeness with 1.5m followers are talking about it, and Rachel is tweeting out today about being kind

She’s a walking PR disaster. Sounds abrasive in interviews, always talks in a scolding tone.

Edited by Redolent
  • Like 1

Unless Gal Gadot improves her acting incredibly quickly this one is going to be a disaster.

You can use perfect looking, icon-aesthetic folks as heroes like Superman, Wonder Woman and so on if you do everything right around them.

But giving the gun villain role to someone who has never shown any range at all is quite the choice.

Gadot was even found out as Wonder Woman the moment they gave her the exposition function in JL.

Seems like this movie is a weird mix of 'Well, if you're going to do Snow White that differently, why are you even doing Snow White?'; and a bit of a PR disaster as Rachel Zegler is a very talented young woman and I would cast no aspersions on her IRL personality, but she is obviously extremely limited in her interactive experiences into a Hollywood and social media Gen Z bubble. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

There has been no marketing at all for this one so far, looks like Disney is trying to save as much money as possible.

I'm not sure why we can reasonably say anything about the film. Marketing for TLM started 8-9 months prior to release (kicked off by that Disney's "D23 expo").  We're currently 7 months away from release and 30 days into the SAG strike. the strikes alone could explain why marketing has been delayed. 

Until we even know something as basic as "what is the affirmative marketing case they're making for the film as something special you should see in theaters" or "how are they going to respond to perceived weaknesses" I'm not sure what people can figure out about the film's prospects. 

2 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Unless Gal Gadot improves her acting incredibly quickly this one is going to be a disaster.

You can use perfect looking, icon-aesthetic folks as heroes like Superman, Wonder Woman and so on if you do everything right around them.

But giving the gun villain role to someone who has never shown any range at all is quite the choice.

Gadot was even found out as Wonder Woman the moment they gave her the exposition function in JL.

Seems like this movie is a weird mix of 'Well, if you're going to do Snow White that differently, why are you even doing Snow White?'; and a bit of a PR disaster as Rachel Zegler is a very talented young woman and I would cast no aspersions on her IRL personality, but she is obviously extremely limited in her interactive experiences into a Hollywood and social media Gen Z bubble. 

The exposition you’re referring to was a lot better in the Snyder version. Everyone gave a phoned in performance with the reshoots for JL. 

Live action remakes are creatively bankrupt.

Studio casts "progressive" to get sympathy votes for creatively bankrupt product knowing very well there will be backlash on one side and defense on the other side

Right on cue, some usual suspects seethe, other usual suspects start to defend the turd and root for its boxoffice even though it's still a steaming turd 

Studio laughs all the way to the b____ oh no no no Asia rejected our unnecessarily expensive turkey sandwich and genius ploy to rally support for it! And LATAM didn't care either! And Europe didn't like it enough to offset the rejection by those other markets! And even singalong couldn't stretch the doemstic boxoffice! But surely we'll make over 1B next time, right? Right?

This is not even a parody. This is what they do and absolutely everyone in US falls for it one way (backlash) or the other (defense). That's why they'll keep shitting the remakes out for the next 50 years.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, joselowe said:

Is this going ti get the same backlash as TLM? People seem excited about this but complained about remakes and unorginal ideas with TLM....hmmmm

There will be backlash regardless cause some people will just find anything to be mad about (for the clicks/attention/ad money).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Live action remakes are creatively bankrupt.

Studio casts "progressive" to get sympathy votes for creatively bankrupt product knowing very well there will be backlash on one side and defense on the other side

Right on cue, some usual suspects seethe, other usual suspects start to defend the turd and root for its boxoffice even though it's still a steaming turd 

Studio laughs all the way to the b____ oh no no no Asia rejected our unnecessarily expensive turkey sandwich and genius ploy to rally support for it! And LATAM didn't care either! And Europe didn't like it enough to offset the rejection by those other markets! And even singalong couldn't stretch the doemstic boxoffice! But surely we'll make over 1B next time, right? Right?

This is not even a parody. This is what they do and absolutely everyone in US falls for it one way (backlash) or the other (defense). They'll shit them out for the next 50 years.

Didn’t TLM do pretty well in Southeast Asia and Japan? 

Edited by WittyUsername

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Didn’t TLM do pretty well in Southeast Asia and Japan? 

it opened low in Japan and legged out to 23M which is low. People here look at legs in a vacuum but it's the total that matters. For such a big market, that's low. AWOW didn't do well there either but it didn't need to cause it made billions everywhere else. Elemental legged it out to 48M and counting in SK so twice as much as TLM in Japan. Point being, it didn't have any significant market where it blew up, it was doing mediocre business due to low opening everywhere. I personally don't think that stunt casting could have shaved off more than 50M WW so there was never that much interest in TLM compared to BatB, Aladdin, TLK. Disney overestimated the deamnd for this IP. But because of stunt casting, people now think it lost 500M which is mathematically impossible yet perception persists. So it backfired. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2