kayumanggi

THOR: RAGNAROK | 538.9 M overseas ● 854.0 M worldwide

Surprising opening in India, that's a potentially huge market for Hollywood movies in the long run given its huge population, and a very young one at that.

Meanwhile China, Brazil, Mexico and Indonesia will help enormously. As for Brazil it has the potential to become twice bigger than Japan as a movie market on the long run at worst, 4 times bigger at best, see the potential ^^

• Like 1

I dont see how brazil is going to become twice as big as japan considering a blockbuster can gross 100m in Japan while 30m is norm in Brazil. We hav e uber blockbusters like Frozen which almost grossed 250m which Brazil wont have for A LONG TIME. Even mid level major hits like DM3, Pirates 5 and Fantastic beasts are way bigger than any Brazil gross for probably another few years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Surprising opening in India, that's a potentially huge market for Hollywood movies in the long run given its huge population, and a very young one at that.

Meanwhile China, Brazil, Mexico and Indonesia will help enormously. As for Brazil it has the potential to become twice bigger than Japan as a movie market on the long run at worst, 4 times bigger at best, see the potential ^^

India can be big but wont for a very long time. There are many factors that prohibit foreign movies getting too big such as low screen count per population, relatively low ticket prices, and the fact that it has the biggest and pretty robust movie industry of ifs own.

The highest grossing movie was Jungle Book which did 39 and the second highest was Furious 7 at 25. Superhero movies barely make it into the 10's except for the big ones. It will be a long time before India catches up to the likes of Japan and european markets in terms of grosses

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont see how brazil is going to become twice as big as japan considering a blockbuster can gross 100m in Japan while 30m is norm in Brazil. We hav e uber blockbusters like Frozen which almost grossed 250m which Brazil wont have for A LONG TIME. Even mid level major hits like DM3, Pirates 5 and Fantastic beasts are way bigger than any Brazil gross for probably another few years. 

That's why I said 'long run' meaning 15-20 years. We're obviously not there yet.

It's still very likely though, Brazil is far more populated,it's like Japan and Germany combined.

As for the gross of movies I need to remember this market is hampered by a terrible exchange rate. With 2011's ER Captain.America Civil War would have grossed $75m instead of 40m.

6 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

India can be big but wont for a very long time. There are many factors that prohibit foreign movies getting too big such as low screen count per population, relatively low ticket prices, and the fact that it has the biggest and pretty robust movie industry of ifs own.

The highest grossing movie was Jungle Book which did 39 and the second highest was Furious 7 at 25. Superhero movies barely make it into the 10's except for the big ones. It will be a long time before India catches up to the likes of Japan and european markets in terms of grosses

That's for sure, that's why we're lucky to have other big markets.

India is likely to be part of a second wave of promising markets in the 2030s along with Nigeria, Vietnam, Egypt and Bangladesh.

14 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

That's for sure, that's why we're lucky to have other big markets.

India is likely to be part of a second wave of promising markets in the 2030s along with Nigeria, Vietnam, Egypt and Bangladesh.

Don't think so. The problem is not size of market but that people in large don't watch hollywood here. local films are very dominant here with regional films dominating their own markets. India is among the few countries where local cinema is much ,more robust than hollywood.

2 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Don't think so. The problem is not size of market but that people in large don't watch hollywood here. local films are very dominant here with regional films dominating their own markets. India is among the few countries where local cinema is much ,more robust than hollywood.

And I do not see it as a "problem". There is life outside Hollywood.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

While I don't see that local domination change it's still possible to increase their share of the market in many ways over the long run. With globalization Indians are likely to discover many other cultures, the same happened in South Korea. I see India as a giant South Korea when it comes to the movie market.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Without Hollywood I would barely watch movies or TV shows to be honest.

Most of my favorite films and TV shows ever come from USA. I will never deny that. Casablanca, The Godfather, The Apartment, The Wire or The Sopranos are unbeatable. But to fix our attention just in Hollywood means to miss many others examples of very good cinema or series. I can compare Plácido, Spirited Away, City of God or Romanzo Criminale with the titles I have said at the beginning.

I obviously understand the interest with Thor or any other Hollywood blockbuster in this site. It would be absurd to say other thing. But precisely being in a box office and movies site, wherever they come from, I do not get, for example, the lack of interest I have seen here in something that is able to make $850m in a single market outside USA. Wolf Warrior 2 has not been released in my city so I do not know if it is a masterpiece or a piece of shit yet, but I perfectly know that Thor 3 it is not The Godfather either. And it is just an example. I will continue consuming Hollywood products, but I will try more things outside there too.

Said this, I am sorry about the off-topic :blush: and I think that Thor will reach $500m OS.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, peludo said:

Most of my favorite films and TV shows ever come from USA. I will never deny that. Casablanca, The Godfather, The Apartment, The Wire or The Sopranos are unbeatable. But to fix our attention just in Hollywood means to miss many others examples of very good cinema or series. I can compare Plácido, Spirited Away, City of God or Romanzo Criminale with the titles I have said at the beginning.

I obviously understand the interest with Thor or any other Hollywood blockbuster in this site. It would be absurd to say other thing. But precisely being in a box office and movies site, wherever they come from, I do not get, for example, the lack of interest I have seen here in something that is able to make $850m in a single market outside USA. Wolf Warrior 2 has not been released in my city so I do not know if it is a masterpiece or a piece of shit yet, but I perfectly know that Thor 3 it is not The Godfather either. And it is just an example. I will continue consuming Hollywood products, but I will try more things outside there too.

Said this, I am sorry about the off-topic :blush: and I think that Thor will reach $500m OS.

Don't worry I understand, I love Ghibli movies for example and some French films so ofcourse there are great things everywhere 🙂

• Like 1

More details http://deadline.com/2017/11/thor-ragnarok-china-weekend-results-international-box-office-1202202193/

The top plays so far are China($55.6M), the UK ($27.2M), Korea ($25.8M), Brazil($19.3M) and Australia($15.5M).

Thor is looking muscular in holds — and should get across $500M internationally. But he does have Justice League in his path this coming Friday as part of a day-and-date worldwide release that will stoke the Marvel/DC fans’ rivalry.

Edited by fabiopazzo2
  • Like 2