That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Saturday Asgrard pg 28 or 29 DS 32 Trolls 19 HR 5.8

Just now, filmlover said:

Pretty much, even if it finishes with $275M or thereabouts (the second weekend drop will be around 50-55% at least since it's a comic book movie, and Fantastic Beasts will obviously make a dent in its third weekend, so it won't have much time to develop legs beyond Thanksgiving weekend since the plethora of December releases will force theaters to drop it).

It won't be losing many theaters until its 7th weekend.

If the Doctor were to follow the trajectory of Marvel’s most recent origin story (Ant-Man), it would land around $84 million for opening weekend. That being said, Ant-Man also has the benefit of summer audiences on Thursday night. Thor: The Dark World is likely the next best comparison, but as a sequel that opened three years ago, it also isn’t an apples to oranges comparison.

Bottom line: the picture won’t clear up much until Saturday morning, but signs still point to an opening three-day frame between $80-95 million.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/thursday-night-report-doctor-strange-trolls-hacksaw-ridge/

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The marketplace was starving for a movie that was 1) youth-skewing (the fall movies were all aimed at adults) and 2) felt like an event (which none of the fall movies did) so this number makes total sense. Still, huge.

Hmmm in my viewinf around 50% of the audience was over 40y old, some looked like 60y+. It was a 10 minutes before 8 oclock in the evening viewing.

I am not sure about the 'youth-skewing'... but as I was surprised about that, it might have been an accidental age-combination. I try to watch it again, this time in English = older people in my region usually are avoiding original language movies (not counting for the big cities), curious to see their ages

I agree to it is not directed at adults only, but maybe there are more Doctor Strange fans out there than I assumed? I mean from then.

• Like 1

Thank God that it's gonna make more money than Ant-Man. Good movie; not gonna get too excited about OW because Marvel has become more frontloaded recently. Definitely excited to follow its run (and for the future of the character too)

• Like 2

Just now, Blankments said:

Thank God that it's gonna make more money than Ant-Man. Good movie; not gonna get too excited about OW because Marvel has become more frontloaded recently. Definitely excited to follow its run (and for the future of the character too)

Oh right, you're on the "Ant-Man is shit" train :kitschjob: 

Just now, terrestrial said:

Hmmm in my viewinf around 50% of the audience was over 40y old, some looked like 60y+. It was a 10 minutes before 8 oclock in the evening viewing.

I am not sure about the 'youth-skewing'... but as I was surprised about that, it might have been an accidental age-combination. I try to watch it again, this time in English = older people in my region usually are avoiding original language movies (not counting for the big cities), curious to see their ages

I agree to it is not directed at adults only, but maybe there are more Doctor Strange fans out there than I assumed? I mean from then.

Most movies this fall have really only appealed to adults and skewed older (over 2/3rd's of The Accountant's opening weekend audience was over 35, and 80%+ of The Magnificent Seven's opening weekend audience was over 25), so it's safe to say the over 25 demographic polling for Doctor Strange won't be that severe.

I think trolls will debut closer to 50 than 40. The comp with Home as well as Big Hero 6 (2 years ago) seems to work well in it's favor. First weekend of November animated films play differently than May or September flicks so while Storks offers an interesting comparison from the previews to weekend ratio it's really not an apt comparison either.

Also - its times so well the Tuesday bump this week will be phenomenal (followed by a spectacular crash on Wednesday) but then it also will have the inflated holiday weekend next weekend. perfect 1-2 punch to help it before thanksgiving and Moana get here.

Also that hacksaw number is great. Like the B.O. article says its more than double Free State of Jones and that was in the summer time with a known / respected lead (not that Andrew Garfield isn't but for the adult crowd Matthew M is more known.) I think it hits upper teens with an outside shot at 20m if its preview to Friday ratio is great. Needs at least 6.5m today to think about 20m.

• Like 1