kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

39 minutes ago, XXR Electric Touch said:

O/U AOU WW?

Way under .

Don't think  it's touching AOU Dom

Definitely not touching it OS either.

Think this is going to be closer to DS2  in box office and probably critical wise .

Highest I see this is civil war to IM3 box office.

Highest r rated 735m OS .

AOU benchmark is ridiculously high.

DP2 ended with 2.5 legs (A CS ) and I think will be front loaded too even with an A .

Joker WW is the bar  to leap over.

25 minutes ago, YM! said:

Under. Think the MCU connection will be more of a hinderance than a help OW as seen with Guardians but can make up for it in legs. 

Marvel Studios is really trying very hard to minimise the impact of the MCU connection on DP3. They moved up DP3 to May and pushed Avengers 5 by a year lol. I think they would be able to minimise the impact, so 1 billion is still in play.

MCU brand can be a hindrance or a help depending on Marvels. If it’s great we can have a “is McU returning to good movies?” narrative. If it’s bad then simply “Gotg was an exception.”

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Don't think  it's touching AOU Dom

Oh I definitely think it's touching this (assuming it's good). MOM would have beaten AOU DOM if it was good. Deadpool + Wolverine + cameos is definitely a bigger draw than Strange + Wanda + cameos. 

DP1 + DP2 made ~42% domestically and neither had China. I think DP3 can do 500 DOM with a similar split. Puts it at $1.2B worldwide. AOU worldwide is just a high end target.

• Like 4

DS2 was back when the mcu brand was a big boon. If we want that back this will probably be more of the final movie that does the rebuilding (if it can be closer to NWH than MoM/QM) than the first that benefits from it.

Edited by LegionGPT
  • Like 1

I think this movie tops out at Guardians 3 numbers. It seems like studios have overestimated the value of these decades ago legacy characters. My hot take on this is that this movie would’ve had higher potential if they threw Deadpool into the MCU at the start of the film and let him take the piss out of the current big players in the MCU instead of revisiting all of the old Fox characters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

When it comes to the backlash/people being tired of the multiverse story angle, I would be VERY SURPRISED if the movie doesn't address that.

*DP at some point during his multiverse adventures*

"Oh god! Not ANOTHER nostalgia-bait Multiverse Saga flick!  Aren't we fucking sick of these yet?!? What's next, I land in the god damn MCU???"

*ten seconds later*

"FFFF<BLEEEP>."

(adjust as needed if it is "just" Deadpool's original universe and the mainline MCU)

Hell, won't be surprised if a (sanitized) version of something like that winds up in the trailers/promotion materials.

To put it a different way, if this was a straight take on the concept, then... yeah timing's not great.  But for something that wears meta commentary on its sleeve then... Well, execution is what matters, as always.

(do agree with those worried about the WGA strike affecting the film, however.  Absolutely is a possibility.  Not a guarantee one way or the other, but a def factor to consider)  

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

When it comes to the backlash/people being tired of the multiverse story angle, I would be VERY SURPRISED if the movie doesn't address that.

*DP at some point during his multiverse adventures*

"Oh god! Not ANOTHER nostalgia-bait Multiverse Saga flick!  Aren't we fucking sick of these yet?!? What's next, I land in the god damn MCU???"

*ten seconds later*

"FFFF<BLEEEP>."

(adjust as needed if it is "just" Deadpool's original universe and the mainline MCU)

Hell, won't be surprised if a (sanitized) version of something like that winds up in the trailers/promotion materials.

To put it a different way, if this was a straight take on the concept, then... yeah timing's not great.  But for something that wears meta commentary on its sleeve then... Well, execution is what matters, as always.

(do agree with those worried about the WGA strike affecting the film, however.  Absolutely is a possibility.  Not a guarantee one way or the other, but a def factor to consider)  

People don’t understand: if publicly acclaimed character *check notes* The Flash can’t carry a multiverse film, never mind that even Doctor Strange could and Spider-Man was able to pull it off not once but three times with one of them being one of the most successful films since the pandemic, Deadpool will fail because people are tired of this for ~reasons~.

Having said that, I’m definitely here for Deadpool trashing the MCU, DCEU, Gunn’s DCU and the Fox Men era equally. It’s going to be glorious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hades said:

I Miss when this was an Xforce movie to be directed by Drew Goddard..

The cameo fest novelty will be long gone by the time Secret Wars gets here..

If Marvel Studios had a dime for every time someone doubt that they can pull it off an Avengers film, even more so one with the scope and hype behind something like Secret Wars has (people have been waiting for something like this for like since their childhoods, most weren’t even born when the Jonathan Hickman’s Secret Wars happened, let alone the OG one during the eighties), Disney would be the first company valued one trillion, and not Apple.