kayumanggi

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 07.26.2024 | Disney | latest trailer on page 76

The only thing that has me unsure about rotten is even The Marvels/Flash/Love and Thunder got fresh on RT albeit barely at the 62-63% range and the Funko critics are really really raving about this one as did Mario which barely missed the fresh mark at 57%. (Tbh I think as the trades are getting tired of CBMs, the MCU may just normalize like other blockbuster franchises of okay reviews, strong audience scores). Not going to doom yet but it doesn’t need to do 200m+ OW/$1.5B to be a success and perhaps that was too much to ask for even at MCU’s peak. So long as it does above the first two and the GA likes it, all is well. I do think $1B is a question mark but think it can still get there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Don't know where it's gonna land, but the RT Score Watch itself is gonna be wild if there truly is a large split between critics as it has the potential to be a rollercoaster, depending on which groups reviews get posted first.  And then which get posted second and third and fourth.

The trades will be first and all at the exact same second. The smaller blogs, which seem to be almost all the outlets that actually liked it, won't be.

3 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

What, Cinemascore is literally like opinion of Audience, straight from theaters.

It does mean something, why is that even a question.

It may be "an opinion of audiences" but it doesn't really mean that much. It's been pretty well proven at this point that the main way to get an ultra high Cinemascore is to give the specific opening day audience EXACTLY what it wants. That may or may not jibe with a film actually being a success. It certainly doesn't with a film's actual quality/long term reception if Dominion's A- was accurate and not statistically screwed up.  But the "Apes B Doomed" stuff that people repeated as gospel here shows it doesn't really capture the actual overall attitude/reception to a movie well. It certainly doesn't guarantee longevity.

Unless joker 2 does have like A+ cinemascore and blows UP in latam and Asia , inside out 2 IS safe as the highest grossing movie this year 

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

That does seem to be the case. But the narrative around it's gonna be exhausting through to, at most optimistic, SDCC on Saturday 

Boy, is that going to be awkward now! They even have a celebratory panel for the movie there on Thursday, on the assumption that everyone would love it. And well...

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It may be "an opinion of audiences" but it doesn't really mean that much. It's been pretty well proven at this point that the main way to get an ultra high Cinemascore is to give the specific opening day audience EXACTLY what it wants. That may or may not jibe with a film actually being a success. It certainly doesn't with a film's actual quality/long term reception if Dominion's A- was accurate and not statistically screwed up.  But the "Apes B Doomed" stuff that people repeated as gospel here shows it doesn't really capture the actual overall attitude/reception to a movie well. It certainly doesn't guarantee longevity.

I'll definitely trust Cinemascore over Imdb, RT Audience score and twitte/reddit.

It may not be completely accurate but it's still opinion from theater going audience which is automatically better than online forums and sites.

Only thing that gives more detailed Audience opinion is posttrack, again directly from Theater going audience

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

I'll definitely trust Cinemascore over Imdb, RT Audience score and twitte/reddit.

It may not be completely accurate but it's still opinion from theater going audience which is automatically better than online forums and sites.

Only thing that gives more detailed Audience opinion is posttrack, again directly from Theater going audience

Cinemascore isn't worth wiping my butt with after "Joker B+/Dominion A-". I'd sooner trust the Ancient Aliens guy for scientific advice than use Cinemascore as a gauge of a film's trajectory.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Boy, is that going to be awkward now! They even have a celebratory panel for the movie there on Thursday, on the assumption that everyone would love it. And well...

Well the people at SDCC will love it. The fan reactions have been great. The critical reception with big outlets is where the pans are from 

Even with mixed reviews, this doesn't change the fact that 7 out of the last 8 MCU movies opened to $100M+ (including a streak of 6 $100M openers in a row, the longest streak in Hollywood history) and that the MCU will own the top 4 post-pandemic opening weekends. What a strong franchise. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I see we're still going with the "Cinemascore actually means something" even after Apes shot that theory full of holes, but whatever.

You do know Apes audience is not really similar to superhero crowd. Even the best  got A-.

Do you suddenly forget quantumania ,flash,marvels . BCS is death knell for any superhero movie.

Nolan movies get Bs and those have had great legs.

CS theory is not really plugging holes. 

Context to which kind of audience and how CS works for different  genres matters..

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Cinemascore isn't worth wiping my butt with after "Joker B+/Dominion A-". I'd sooner trust the Ancient Aliens guy for scientific advice than use Cinemascore as a gauge of a film's trajectory.

This is a terrible comparison. Different genres and demographics operate under very different assumptions on Cinemascore, it's not a zero-sum game. A dark psychological film doesn't play on the same scale as a dumb dino film for families.

This isn't to say that Cinemascore is the end-all-be-all, as nothing is. It's just a tool. You can use it properly or not. And it's not infallible.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2