75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

9 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

HP's core fanbase has grown up. They aren't teenagers anymore. That could lead to less of a rush factor and better legs.

Yeah, this is pretty much only appealing to those who saw the original movies in theaters. 

1 minute ago, Treecraft said:

Wouldn't it be the opposite way round? If the large number of adults seeing this movie are the "core fanbase" then you're confirming it will be frontloaded. "core fans" don't improve legs, regardless of their age.

What I'm saying is, HP's main fanbase (those that read the books when they were released) is now older than when the originals were released. Only 5 years, but at that age, it's a big difference (jobs, marriage, kids, etc.). That combined with FB being considerably less hyped compared to the HP series, could lead to better legs.

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

What I'm saying is, HP's main fanbase (those that read the books when they were released) is now older than when the originals were released. Only 5 years, but at that age, it's a big difference (jobs, marriage, kids, etc.). That combined with FB being considerably less hyped compared to the HP series, could lead to better legs.

I agree that a lower opening will generally lead to stronger legs. I'm not convinced that 5 years makes enough difference to the fans though.

21 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

I know the talk all week was how this was going to skew older, but doesn't that number still seem low? 

Not really at this point.  If you figure that a 7 year old kid who watched the first Harry Potter in 2001 is now 22 years old, it kind of puts it in perspective.  A kid that was 7 when the books came out is now nearly 28 years old.  

The material is older and darker and the core audience grew up.  I think this will eventually find families as well, but it was written for an older audience in their 20's 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I was about to refute that but I saw DH2 in theaters :kitschjob: 

I saw all of them in theaters. I saw the last 3 or 4 on OD. But with FB I was like "sure I will see it one of these days". It ended up being Saturday night. It could have been next Wednesday.

Just now, CJohn said:

I saw all of them in theaters.

I was about to refute that but I saw DH2 in theaters :kitschjob: 

I saw all of them except the 1st in cinemas, and the new one could not look more boring :lol: I'm glad I have grown up.

3 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

I saw all of them except the 1st in cinemas, and the new one could not look more boring :lol: I'm glad I have grown up.

It is boring. I almost fell asleep during the first half. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I saw all of them in theaters. I saw the last 3 or 4 on OD. But with FB I was like "sure I will see it one of these days". It ended up being Saturday night. It could have been next Wednesday.

I was 1 when the first came out and I wasn't even alive for the first three books :jeb!: 

I was 1 when the first came out and I wasn't even alive for the first three books :jeb!: 

I was 8 years old when the first movie came out. I have never read the books.