CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Jodorowsky will be more than a decade shy of living an entire century when this film is released. His drug fueled imagination for the novel's translation to film still remains a phantom pain for his soul. I hope Denis makes a film that soothes the lifelong pain he's endured with that failed production. A failed production that still spawned some of the greatest minds of adult sci-fi cinema. Lynch's film was basically a contractual agreement from Dino to make Blue Velvet (no strings attached). It's still a cult classic of some sort. The Sci-Fi channel miniseries has its fair share of fans. I think this will be the best version yet considering the pedigree and budget involved.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

I hope Denis makes a film that soothes the lifelong pain he's endured with that failed production

Not sure what you mean, but if Denis make a good movie that would probably destroy him.

In is documentary he speak how hurt he got when someone as good as Lynch was making one and how relived he was when he saw it in theater that it was absolute shit.

1 hour ago, ThePhasmid said:

Jodorowsky will be more than a decade shy of living an entire century when this film is released. His drug fueled imagination for the novel's translation to film still remains a phantom pain for his soul. I hope Denis makes a film that soothes the lifelong pain he's endured with that failed production. A failed production that still spawned some of the greatest minds of adult sci-fi cinema. Lynch's film was basically a contractual agreement from Dino to make Blue Velvet (no strings attached). It's still a cult classic of some sort. The Sci-Fi channel miniseries has its fair share of fans. I think this will be the best version yet considering the pedigree and budget involved.

If Dune (1983) enabled Lynch to make "Blue Velvet" then even if Dune was a poorly done  adaptation (which I think it was;Lynch was just not a good choice for the material ) it has justified it's existence.

I have very mixed feelings about Lynch as a whole, , but "Blue Velvet" is a masterpiece and one of the 3 or 4 best American films of the 80's.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Blade Runner 2049

John Carter

Ender's Game

Futuristic sci-fi book adaptations have clearly fared well in recent years...

$150m DOM $450m WW is where I think Dune will end up. Hopefully the budget is reasonable...

Exactly! Enders Game so disappointed me. I loved the book, audio book (8 hour audio play is incredible!)

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Exactly! Enders Game so disappointed me. I loved the book, audio book (8 hour audio play is incredible!)

Dune is a much bigger deal than Ender’s Game.  It’s being helmed by a much better director, with much more studio support.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric #RIPKobe said:

I still have no idea what Dune is really about, and I kind of don't want to until I see the movie. All I know is that the main character rides a sand worm thru the desert, and Timmy on there sounds hot as h*ck.

It might be that rarest of blockbusters: the Horny Blockbuster. 

Then again, Villeneuve’s directing. :thinking:

6 hours ago, Elessar said:

A movie like this? Of course it's gonna exceed $125m. We are not in the 90s anymore.

Given how BR2049 cost $150m, Mortal Engines cost $100m, and Ender's Game cost $115m, and considering how all those films ended up flopping relative to their budgets, I think $125m for Dune is reasonable.

I'm not saying that Warner Bros is going to be reasonable in the budget, they are one of the most unreasonable studios when it comes to throwing money against the wall. But if Dune costs upwards of $150m, it's going to struggle to turn a profit.

• Thanks 2

Dune isn't as unaccessible as made out to be. Under the philosophy and some futuristic world building that slows down the reading (CHOAM), it's a fairly familiar Hero Journey (think Anakin more than Luke though) where love messes up with a grand plan. So plenty of accessible points there. it really matters what they choose to emphasize and how they balance it out with less accessible stuff that gave the book its stamp.

47 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

But if Dune costs upwards of $150m, it's going to struggle to turn a profit.

No way of saying this before seeing any trailers and buzz closer to release.

We can only say as much as that it's not a surefire hit like, say, some comic book movie.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

No way of saying this before seeing any trailers and buzz closer to release.

We can only say as much as that it's not a surefire hit like, say, some comic book movie.

If you want to ignore historical precedent, be my guest. But the trend of futuristic Sci-Fi book-to-film adaptations in the past decade is clear: The audiences aren’t showing up.

I think that taking trends into consideration is fair but trends are not forever and they get replaced by new trends. You never know when a futuristic sci fi book-to-movie is going to break out. remember that SH movies weren't a thing OS for a long time until they became all the rage. So that trend got bucked eventually.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If you want to ignore historical precedent, be my guest. But the trend of futuristic Sci-Fi book-to-film adaptations in the past decade is clear: The audiences aren’t showing up.

Yeah but most of those movies were dead on arrival, its all about how they are advertised. Blade Runner was never a big hit in the first place so a flop was expected. Enders game looked like an unappealing children's sci fi and john carter was just not that good.

If the trailer and product is good there no reason this can't break out, people showed up for The Martian after-all

Its the same case with video game adaptations, is the source material to blame or the string of shitty productions we've been given? 

• Like 1