WrathOfHan

Vice | Opening Wide on Christmas | Let's call it... mixed reviews #DiViceive

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Just as an aside, while I did like Big Short, I do wish Ferrell and McKay did another movie together. Feels like forever since Anchorman 2, and I need my high-quality Ferrell fix soon.

I concur with this. The lack of McKay on Holmes and Watson really shows. I presume by high-quality Ferrell fix, you don't expect to get it from Holmes and Watson, right?

1 minute ago, Jay Beezy said:

I concur with this. The lack of McKay on Holmes and Watson really shows. I presume by high-quality Ferrell fix, you don't expect to get it from Holmes and Watson, right?

Dude directing Holmes and Watson directed Get Hard. I'm generally a Ferrell apologist. I will defend Blades of Glory as a cinematic masterpiece until the day I die.

But Get Hard's one of the worst comedies I've ever seen. There is no way I can even try to defend it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Dude directing Holmes and Watson directed Get Hard. I'm generally a Ferrell apologist. I will defend Blades of Glory as a cinematic masterpiece until the day I die.

But Get Hard's one of the worst comedies I've ever seen. There is no way I can even try to defend it.

Blades of Glory and The Campaign are the only two Ferrell movies I've enjoyed that weren't directed by Adam McKay. The Campaign at least had Jay Roach who is a solid comedy director in his own right.

In terms of other non-McKay Ferrell movies, you have, in order of release, Semi-Pro, Land of the Lost, Get Hard, Daddy's Home, The House, and Daddy's Home 2. I'm not sure if there are others, but with those, he's batting less than .300 without Adam McKay.

Edited by Jay Beezy

27 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Immediately dismissing any negative criticism about this movie as said critic being a “closeted conservative” is...questionable, to say the least.

Newsday reviewer is sad McKay isn’t going easy on a war criminal:

”Not really a biopic but a two-hour hate-fest that stoops lower than necessary...

Cheney helped sell Americans a war in Iraq using false information. A fair point — but all this movie wants to do is punish him for it.”

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PANDA said:

”Not really a biopic but a two-hour hate-fest that stoops lower than necessary...

Cheney helped sell Americans a war in Iraq using false information. A fair point — but all this movie wants to do is punish him for it.”

@Cmasterclay's theory has some evidence to it.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PANDA said:

Yikes at those quotes. It's like people intentionally forget just how terrible the Dubya administration really was. There's criticisms to be had with this film I'm sure, but not being subtle about bashing awful people shouldn't be one of them.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, PANDA said:

Not everyone is going to want to see a movie that's bathed in so much hatred; if it's not to his tastes, then it's not to his tastes and he's allowed to review it as such.  I don't think it's productive to immediately claim that every review is a result of closeted conservatives coming out to defend Cheney.  Everything I've read about this movie makes it sound divisive, and naturally there are going to be some people that don't like the movie not necessarily because they disagree with its political message, but how it approaches its political message.

yeah there has to be more nuance in the discussion for sure. like Sorry to Bother You is a film that has a message I AGREE WITH totally. but like i said in the review thread it makes its point pretty early and then... continues making that point in a way that's not espeically interesting.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Not everyone is going to want to see a movie that's bathed in so much hatred; if it's not to his tastes, then it's not to his tastes and he's allowed to review it as such.  I don't think it's productive to immediately claim that every review is a result of closeted conservatives coming out to defend Cheney.  Everything I've read about this movie makes it sound divisive, and naturally there are going to be some people that don't like the movie not necessarily because they disagree with its political message, but how it approaches its political message.

Im not saying they shouldn’t be allowed to criticize the movie or anything.  I could care less about the final tomatoscore for this.

I was just pointing out that there some.. eye raising takes by a few critics

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah there has to be more nuance in the discussion for sure. like Sorry to Bother You is a film that has a message I AGREE WITH totally. but like i said in the review thread it makes its point pretty early and then... continues making that point in a way that's not espeically interesting.

I think there can be nuance to the discussion.  Wasn’t trying to turn it into “any critic that doesn’t like it is actually a trump supporter” type of conversation.

But there were definitely a few takes that read like they were upset the film wasn’t more sympathetic to Cheney, which is where my comment came from.

I get your point though.  Reminds me of Elysium, which made me mad because it was making an argument for universal healthcare (which I’m absolutely for), yet it did so so poorly that it felt like it would end up doing the opposite of what it set out to do

• Like 1