WrathOfHan

Vice | Opening Wide on Christmas | Let's call it... mixed reviews #DiViceive

4 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

Yeah, I think this is going to flop. Not sure how many theaters Annapurna is trying to put this in, but I'm expecting ATMITW numbers with a similar theater count.

BOP said a couple months ago they only planned on a barely wide release initially, but who knows at this point. I'm still expecting 35-40M just because January is dead and Bale/Adams have prominent buzz. 

Edit: If The Iron Lady can do 30M (35M adjusted) with a 52% RT score, Vice can hit that mark at the very least. Adams may be the first winner from a rotten movie since Streep.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Hey.

So uh, the embargo is now on Monday.

tenor.gif?itemid=12322506

On 12/11/2018 at 12:19 AM, WrathOfHan said:

It's pretty clear the movie is shit at this point. It didn't screen for any critics or guilds, and there's no Thursday previews similar to 15:17 to Paris.

:Gaga:

3 hours ago, Spagspiria said:

Yeah, I think this is going to flop. Not sure how many theaters Annapurna is trying to put this in, but I'm expecting ATMITW numbers with a similar theater count.

I think releasing this on/around Christmas was a huge mistake tbh. Nobody really wants to see a movie like this, that mainly serves as a reminder of a black mark on history, at this time of year (especially in a year like this where there looks to be no shortage of more broadly-appealing titles).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think releasing this on/around Christmas was a huge mistake tbh. Nobody really wants to see a movie like this, that mainly serves as a reminder of a black mark on history, at this time of year (especially in a year like this where there looks to be no shortage of more broadly-appealing titles).

I still can’t believe Annapurna’s mess on 12/25. They really should have just kept Beale Street going wide on 12/25 then brought Vice and Destroyer into January.

This is gonna be a wack ass year for Best Picture no matter what makes it in:

The frontrunner that made over 200M DOM

A black and white foreign film

A movie from the guy that made The Lobster

An MCU movie

A Spike Lee joint

Oscar bait straight out of the 80s

A divisive movie that will be yellow on Meta and potentially rotten

A problematic hit biopic that is barely even fresh on RT and below 50 on Meta

A jumpscare horror movie produced by Michael Bay

A Disney sequel

An indie movie revolving around middle schoolers

Like damn. Beale Street feels like the most normal contender of the bunch, and a not that long ago, it would've been too indie to make it :lol: 

As for whether this is still making it into Picture, idk. It depends on what the industry's side is. Given Adams is probably winning her category, they at least have to be closer to the love it side, right?

• Like 2