WrathOfHan

Vice | Opening Wide on Christmas | Let's call it... mixed reviews #DiViceive

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Isn't there some sort of credit in the argument that Bush's death is even more of a problem this has to overcome than the mediocre reviews? (For a BP nomination).

Ehh, H.W. isn't really in a factor in this movie, I doubt it changes anything.  Granted, this was never going to be a blockbuster anyways, 100m was a best case scenario pipe dream (especially given who's distributing the movie).

14 hours ago, TMP said:

The editing in this clip is atrocious

Maybe it'll be better in the context of the movie but those freeze-frame shots definitely looked better among the handheld zaniness of The Big Short then the more traditional camerawork displayed here.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I haven't watched said clip, but clips released to promote a film are edited differently than they are in the movie.

Clips aren't normally edited to break the 180 degree rule between shots, or to freeze-frame and zoom in like an iMovie film by a middle schooler if either of those aspects aren't in the final film. 

32 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I haven't watched said clip, but clips released to promote a film are edited differently than they are in the movie.

I know they do this, but it doesn't really matter what you add. The actors aren't performing in a way that works for the comical editing choices, random freeze frame zooms, jarring back and forth cutting, hearing Bale's voice even when his mouth isn't moving, random cutaways to closeups of other things etc. It's not just the pacing that doesn't work.

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

random cutaways to closeups of other things

813Yi1ZEVRL.jpg

Of the title of the book, Gellman said in a television interview:

"Cheney’s Secret Service codename. They have a wry sense of humor about the way they give codenames, and a lot of times they have a double meaning. Obviously, Cheney is an avid fisherman. I thought it was a nice metaphor for the way that he works. He tends to approach the levers of power obliquely. He doesn’t like to—like you to see him coming, doesn’t like to have an overt public role. He finds his way to the place where decisions are made and often doesn’t leave many signs of his presence.

I'll post some longer thoughts later when I'm done with family stuff, but this movie is totally all over the place and definitely bites off more than it can chew. Good performances all around and there are some real standout moments (the ending in particular packs a punch). I don't think it lives up to The Big Short because of the fact it's a biopic rather than an ensemble though stylistically they share a lot of similarities.

This film is a mess. Basically, the whole point of this film is blaming audiences for not being smart enough -- or as smart as Adam McKay -- to see through Dick Cheney. However, "Dick Cheney is evil" has been the general consensus on the Right for years so this film doesn't really add any new insights to the narrative nor is it half as smart as it thinks.