FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

And if you were truly a Disney fan, you wouldn't make so many anti-Disney club threads dude. If maybe, you didn't make so many of those threads, we wouldn't accuse you of "showing your true colors", and being so anti-Disney. 

I'm not "truly" a Disney fan,I don't root for any studio like I have an investment in them or like I do my favorite football team.  I am a fan of Disney so long as they make good blockbuster movies, and so they have earned my fandom with numerous such films the past several years. But when they make a bad or boring film, like "Good Dinosaur" or "Alice II", I don't hesitate to say so because there is no underlying loyalty. I don't have an underlying loyalty to any movie studio (strange concept!), I am a fan of good movies. 

But box office prediction is another matter entirely, I call them as I believe they will shake out, separate from my rooting interest.

IMO, Warner's has the best stable of properties. Their box office success is more solid than Disney. Disney rolls the dice every year on one big Marvel movie, one big animated movie, and one big classic remake like Alice in Wonderland. If they hit, they are on top, but the downside is huge. Warner's also has these same big franchises (DC, Harry Potter, and now the animated Lego stuff), but they have a lot more Clint Eastwood type mid-range films that can do $150m and save them if the blockbuster flops.

Plus, WB owns all of DC whereas Disney doesn't own a lot of Marvel stuff. Advantage Warner.

IMO, Warner's has less downside potential than Disney, Disney is overinvested in blockbusters. 

Warner can afford to make "bad" Batman filmsl Batman vs Superman because the  Batman franchise is timeless and they can always do-over. And hell, even a bad Batman film makes $800m WW.

Disney really can't afford to screw up an Avengers movie because their stuff isn't as culturally resonant as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman.  Warner's is following the right strategy in continuing to make these DC Universe films because in the long run they will dominate with them. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Haley Bennett's 'big year' didn't really pan out. Now she's gonna star in a film with Miles Teller aka box office poison.  Poor girl.

Poor girl. I don't know how come so many promising people ended up in that turd sandwich Girl On the Train. I didn't even recognize Rebecca Ferguson cause she was so bland here. Not a hint of her fiery screen presence from Mission Impossible. 

Damn, starring opposite Teller is a tough one. He was great in Whiplash where he's supposed to be unlikable, but that shtick doesn't go away whether he's on or off screen. No wonder his movies flop. People like stars who they want to buy a drink. 

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I'm not "truly" a Disney fan,I don't root for any studio like I have an investment in them or like I do my favorite football team.  I am a fan of Disney so long as they make good blockbuster movies, and so they have earned my fandom with numerous such films the past several years. But when they make a bad or boring film, like "Good Dinosaur" or "Alice II", I don't hesitate to say so because there is no underlying loyalty. I don't have an underlying loyalty to any movie studio (strange concept!), I am a fan of good movies. 

But box office prediction is another matter entirely, I call them as I believe they will shake out, separate from my rooting interest.

And yet you keep making clubs built around Disney movies doing less than expected. Maybe you don't despise Disney, but you certainly coming off like you do. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Haley Bennett's 'big year' didn't really pan out. Now she's gonna star in a film with Miles Teller aka box office poison.  Poor girl.

At least she's not the lead guy from Billy Lynn, who was called The Next Big Thing by Hollywood Reporter in interview around the film's NYFF premiere and whose follow-up movie is...a Gerard Butler action pic. Ouch.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

At least she's not the lead guy from Billy Lynn, who was called The Next Big Thing by Hollywood Reporter in interview around the film's NYFF premiere and whose follow-up movie is...a Gerard Butler action pic. Ouch.

:kitschjob:

53ff26e3cb_84071821_o2.jpg

• Like 8