FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

Just now, yjs said:

I now am legitimately terrified of this possibility of giving that dude satisfaction of calling it right for FB>Moana total.

That's highly unlikely. With FB's second weekend the highest I could see it going is 220. If Moana doesn't at least hit that then I don't know what to say. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's highly unlikely. With FB's second weekend the highest I could see it going is 220. If Moana doesn't at least hit that then I don't know what to say. 

well, all in all, it seems at least Moana, FB and DS will all finish with very narrow gaps with one another.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yjs said:

I now am legitimately terrified of this possibility of giving that dude satisfaction of calling it right for FB>Moana total.

Nah. I still think Moana goes higher. Not by much. A 3x multi will happen for Beasts tho. I think that is the best WB could've expected. An extremely well received movie bodes well for the franchise. 

• Like 3

Moana has one big disadvantage compared to frozen, frozen is a story about SNOW, which make it a perfect choice for christmas and new year, not to mention that year-end winter was unusually cold make frozen even more appealing to public. The blizzard that time was so insane until many people "thought" it was elsa's fault, therefore creating more buzz for frozen then make frozen extremely leggy 

Edited by titanic2187

300 seemed perfectly logical to me after it beat Frozen's OD and kicked its ass in critical reception. The amazing WOM and legs could still be yet to come, this certainly doesn't mean there's no chance of that. Frozen actually had a rough drop in its second weekend, so hopefully Moana avoids that. 

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Moana has one big disadvantage compared to frozen, frozen is a story about SNOW, which make it a perfect choice for christmas and new year, not to mention that year-end winter was unusually cold make frozen even more appealing to public. The blizzard that time was so insane until many people "thought" it was elsa's fault, therefore creating more buzz for frozen then make frozen extremely leggy 

Disney spent hundreds of millions creating snowstorms nationwide that holiday, and as such actually took a loss on Frozen. What a bomb. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

300 seemed perfectly logical to me after it beat Frozen's OD and kicked its ass in critical reception. The amazing WOM and legs could still be yet to come, this certainly doesn't mean there's no chance of that. Frozen actually had a rough drop in its second weekend, so hopefully Moana avoids that. 

It only had a bigger opening day because its previews were 1.4m higher. Frozen had a bigger true Wednesday, by about 800k.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 1

http://deadline.com/2016/11/moana-fantastic-beasts-tuesday-box-office-thanksgiving-1201859220/

6TH Writethru, Black Friday 11:27 PM: Refresh for updates, new chart coming Black Friday, the highest grossing day of the Thanksgiving stretch, grossed an estimated $69.3M from the top 24 titles, a -3% dip versus the same rankings during last year’s biggest shopping day of the year

Disney’s Moana easily crested to its highest daily take in its three-day run with an estimated $22.5M, +127% from its Thanksgiving haul of $9.9M. This shifts Disney’s Hula girl to $83M over five days, making her their second best Thanksgiving opener, behind Frozen‘s $93.6M all-time opening record, and ahead of 1999’s Toy Story 2 which made $80.1M. Of the top 10 Thanksgiving 5-day debuts, Disney will own nine of them with Moana (Warner Bros.’ Four Christmases at $46M 5-day ranks as No. 7 in the top 10).  Typically Disney animated fare, read Frozen, The Good Dinosaur and Toy Story 2, fall between 5%-6% from Black Friday into Saturday, and bean counters are expecting the same type of ease for Moana. Pic’s opening day of $15.7M was Disney’s highest opening Wednesday for an animated movie, beating Frozen‘s $15.1M. Moana counts $48.1M through three days.

While a majority of the titles in the top 10 fell an average of -23% between Wednesday and Thanksgiving, they surged on average +113.7% between Turkey day and Black Friday.

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DamienRoc said:

It only had a bigger opening day because its previews were 1.4m higher. Frozen had a bigger true Wednesday, by about 800k.

Right, but the point being 100m less than Frozen for a film that is absolutely up to the highest of WDAS standards certainly seemed logical after that OD. And maybe it will still happen. Frozen's early legs are far from extraordinary, Moana has a chance to beat it there.