La Binoche

Weekend numbers. Moana 28.3 | FB 18.5 | Arrival 7.3 | Allied 7 | DS 6.8 | Trolls 4.6 | Hacksaw 3.4

Sony's sci-Fi thriller, LIFE, springs into theaters 2 months earlier than expected, dropping 3/24/17 instead of 5/26/17.

Sony's chill pill, KEEP WATCHING, has been removed from their schedule. Was set to mess with young minds on 3/24/17.

Paramount's BAYWATCH will now flaunt its wares on 5/26/17. Was previously set to drop 5/19/17.

Mark your calendars! Box office bottom feeder weekend is set for March 24--LIFE, KING ARTHUR & POWER RANGERS all debut in wide release.

• Like 2

Top Playdates

Do you want to go straight to Hawaii, Hawaii, straight to Hawaii
1-CT Cons Victoria Ward, Honolulu HI            (Moana)
2-CM Mountain view, Mountain View CA        (Moana)
3-Pac Arclight Hollywood            (Jackie)
4-Pac Kapolei, Kapolei HI            (Moana)
5-Regal Union Square, NYC            (FBAWTFT)
6-El Capitan, Hollywood                (Moana)
7-AMC Disney Springs, Orlanda FL        (Moana)
8-AMC Lincoln Square, NYC            (Jackie)
9-CM Century Tanforan, San Bruno CA        (Moana)
10-Lincoln Plaza, NYC                (MBTS)
11-CT Olino , Kapolei HI            (Moana)
12-CM Daly City CA                (Moana)
13-AMC Burbank CA                (Moana)
14-PAc Grove Stadium, Los Angeles CA        (Moana)
15-The Landmark, Los Angelese CA        (Jackie)
16-LMT Megaplex Jordan Common, Sandy UT        (Moana)

Top Canada
1-CPLX Sivercity Yorkdale ,Toronto ON (Moana), 2-CPLX Queensway Etobicoke ON (Moana), 3-CPLX Scotiabank Vancouver (FBAWTFT)

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Movies that portray a very strong seasonal atmosphere throughout should be released in the proper season. Or are you telling me christmas based movies would do well in June? 

Christmas moves do well in December because Christmas falls in December. Not because it's cold and snowing in December. If weather were to change and make December hot and make it snow in June, Christmas movies would still release around Christmas.

On 12/4/2016 at 10:09 PM, Mojoguy said:

Only Tangled and Frozen have had white leads during this WDAS Revival.

Bolt, Pooh, and Zootopia had talking animal leads
PATF, BH6, Moana had POC
WIR had video game characters

Gigantic is coming up, and they are going to make Jack Spanish even though its based on an English fairy tale. I don't really have an issue with that. But what's the opposite of white washing?

Just to make one observation here:  Spanish people (as in people from Spain) are white.  Do not confuse them with Latinos, who are mixed with natives of Latin American countries and are people of colour.

The perception of the Spanish as non-white is just the result of people screwing up and mixing them up with darker-skinned Latinos and Hispanics from areas with mixed spanish/other race heritage.  While there are some more swarthy Spanish, it's usually the result of interbreeding at some point with other races and a lot of actual Spanish people are really damn undeniably white.  

So them making Jack a Spanish guy isn't the opposite of whitewashing, it's just ignoring the origin of the story they're using as a basis.

• Like 1

I'm a Spaniard, and when I lived in the US I found quite laughable that I could claim minority status for lots of stuff if I wanted (I never did, it was ridiculous), because regulations often conflated European Hispanics with American Hispanics. I'm white as a sheet.

There could be story reasons for Jack to be POC in that adaptation - if they want so -, Spanish people mixed with indigenous peoples very liberally once they moved to America. But if Jack is from peninsular Spain, well that was a 95% white country until the last two decades or so.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sal said:

Just to make one observation here:  Spanish people (as in people from Spain) are white.  Do not confuse them with Latinos, who are mixed with natives of Latin American countries and are people of colour.

The perception of the Spanish as non-white is just the result of people screwing up and mixing them up with darker-skinned Latinos and Hispanics from areas with mixed spanish/other race heritage.  While there are some more swarthy Spanish, it's usually the result of interbreeding at some point with other races and a lot of actual Spanish people are really damn undeniably white.  

So them making Jack a Spanish guy isn't the opposite of whitewashing, it's just ignoring the origin of the story they're using as a basis.

This is mostly correct, just want to add that Latin Americans per se are not one race. We have everything here, it's more of a cultural designation. Just like the US, Latam is a multiracial pot, it's just that we have a bigger mixed population because we interbred more than we "genocided".

• Like 1