Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

1 minute ago, robertman2 said:

This will probably be like Deadpool. A bit of Oscar Talk, but nothing really comes of it

It's a lot better but yeah. It's like an Edgar Wright joint with a much sharper screenplay but lacking the verve behind the camera to truly elevate it. So... Very, very good but - not that it means shit - Oscars ain't taking note of it.

• Like 1

Anyway I just saw this film. Really good although I did predict the ending (not all aspects of it but I saw it coming) The crowd reaction was the best. It was a full theatre.  My friends all loved it too and a few of them who didn't watch the trailer were totally shocked by the ending lol. 

• Like 1

As a huge horror fan, I hope this is actually this good. But I can't help but feel politics are at play with these reviews.

Just choosing one blurb as an example and I'm not reading any further because I don't want to be spoiled:
"Cultural appropriation shifts from 'problematic' to 'horrific' in writer-director Jordan Peele's sharp take on the scary world of stuff white people like."

I've followed RT since like 2002-2003 (back when I was in high school) but lately they go a lot easier on movies that have themes they like and a lot harder on themes they don't like. Like No Escape got trashed for being xenophobic. Neighbors 2 was reviewed better then a lot of other comedies like it.

Right now this is still at 100% with an average rating of 8.3/10 (and I'm paying more attention to the latter). To compare, The Cabin In The Woods is one of the most fun horror films of the last decade and has an average rating of 7.9/10. I'm sorry there's nothing in the promotional material that indicates that this is anywhere near on that level. But I've only seen one trailer so I'm not claiming to be an expert on this movie. It looked fun but not 100%/8.3 fun. 

Toy Story 3 couldn't even get 100% and I remember when that negative review came in. Believe it was that Cole guy.

I seriously hope I'm proven wrong. I want to be wrong. I want this to be as good as they are saying it is. If it really lives up to the hype then awesome. Win/Win. But like Ghostbusters I'll wait to see it outside of the headlines and judge it that way.

If it actually is this good then that gives me a lot of hope for the upcoming Halloween sequel which is also being written by someone who usually does comedy. I want to believe John Carpenter there.

Edited by somebody85

19 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

As a huge horror fan, I hope this is actually this good. But I can't help but feel politics are at play with these reviews.

Just choosing one blurb as an example and I'm not reading any further because I don't want to be spoiled:
"Cultural appropriation shifts from 'problematic' to 'horrific' in writer-director Jordan Peele's sharp take on the scary world of stuff white people like."

I've followed RT since like 2002-2003 (back when I was in high school) but lately they go a lot easier on movies that have themes they like and a lot harder on themes they don't like. Like No Escape got trashed for being xenophobic. Neighbors 2 was reviewed better then a lot of other comedies like it.

Right now this is still at 100% with an average rating of 8.3/10 (and I'm paying more attention to the latter). To compare, The Cabin In The Woods is one of the most fun horror films of the last decade and has an average rating of 7.9/10. I'm sorry there's nothing in the promotional material that indicates that this is anywhere near on that level. But I've only seen one trailer so I'm not claiming to be an expert on this movie. It looked fun but not 100%/8.3 fun. 

Toy Story 3 couldn't even get 100% and I remember when that negative review came in. Believe it was that Cole guy.

I seriously hope I'm proven wrong. I want to be wrong. I want this to be as good as they are saying it is. If it really lives up to the hype then awesome. Win/Win. But like Ghostbusters I'll wait to see it outside of the headlines and judge it that way.

If it actually is this good then that gives me a lot of hope for the upcoming Halloween sequel which is also being written by someone who usually does comedy. I want to believe John Carpenter there.

LOL You haven't even seen it so you cant' say anything. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, ban1o said:

LOL You haven't even seen it so you cant' say anything. 

I didn't say anything besides what I did. It wasn't meant to be a good or bad thing. I just think politics are at play with those reviews due to past incidences. Like I stated repeatedly, I hope it blows me away. I hope it's as clever as something like The Cabin In The Woods or You're Next. 

14 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I didn't say anything besides what I did. It wasn't meant to be a good or bad thing. I just think politics are at play with those reviews due to past incidences. Like I stated repeatedly, I hope it blows me away. I hope it's as clever as something like The Cabin In The Woods or You're Next. 

kk....

Edited by ban1o

It's much better than CABIN IN THE WOODS although it isn't as mockingly self-referential. (It clearly draws heavily from some classic horror thrillers but it doesn't do it to directly comment on the genre, the way CITW did). 

"Politics" doesn't have anything to do with it. Social commentary, yes, absolutely -- it's a central pillar to the whole concept. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I didn't realize that would be such a controversial statement. :lol: 

I'll agree that it's a better movie than Split, but Cabin in the Woods?  No sir!

But then again, the comparison is a little weird too, because they aren't really going for the same thing at all.

5 minutes ago, Rallax said:

I'll agree that it's a better movie than Split, but Cabin in the Woods?  No sir!

But then again, the comparison is a little weird too, because they aren't really going for the same thing at all.

They both co-star Bradley Whitford! Totally same movie!

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's much better than CABIN IN THE WOODS although it isn't as mockingly self-referential. (It clearly draws heavily from some classic horror thrillers but it doesn't do it to directly comment on the genre, the way CITW did). 

"Politics" doesn't have anything to do with it. Social commentary, yes, absolutely -- it's a central pillar to the whole concept. 

To each his own. I really liked Get Out, but I loved CITW.

GO absolutely deserves to be fresh, even highly rated fresh, but at this point the hype has passed the actual quality. Realistically, almost no movie could live up to a 130+ 100% fresh start, expectations are in the stratosphere.