Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

On 26.1.2017 at 3:35 AM, ban1o said:

I just realized the trailer for this has 62 million views on facebook. Like how? 

Movies targeting african-americans usually do much better on Facebook than on Youtube. Madea had pretty poor clicks via YT but did massive numbers on FB and broke out.

Also, the topic of the movie is just very current, with all the headlines concerning violence against african-americans and the gap between black and white getting bigger and bigger again. 

This should do very well and looking at the number of 1-pointers at IMDB, white racists won't like the movie at all. But that's good. Because it will give the movie even more attention.

Edited by Poseidon

13 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Movies targeting african-americans usually do much better on Facebook than on Youtube. Madea had pretty poor clicks via YT but did massive numbers on FB and broke out.

Also, the topic of the movie is just very current, with all the headlines concerning violence against african-americans and the gap between black and white getting bigger and bigger again. 

This should do very well and looking at the number of 1-pointers at IMDB, white racists won't like the movie at all. But that's good. Because it will give the movie even more attention.

lol I noticed the score on imdb. When it comes out it will probably rise a bit. They downvote all films about racism. But yeah they don't seem to like this movie at all. 

17 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Split's breakout is an encouraging sign for this. Obviously it's not going to do $130m+ like Split, but $50m doesn't seem impossible at all given the strong reviews and marketing so far.

I don't like to have much hopes, because it almost always end in disappontment. But, if it keeps the buzz that it has right now, 2017 may be the first year in history where we have two Horror movies grossing $100m+, that would be insane, even if it is unlikely.

8 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I don't like to have much hopes, because it almost always end in disappontment. But, if it keeps the buzz that it has right now, 2017 may be the first year in history where we have two Horror movies grossing $100m+, that would be insane, even if it is unlikely.

Yes, I agree. I think the banner year 2016 was for horror and the way something like Split (or even The Bye Bye Man, how'd that do $15m?) has broken out this year proves that there's a growing market for quality, original horror. That being said, $100m is a near-impossible milestone for any horror film to reach.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Three. Alien is probably gonna hit 100 million

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

mmm 100 million seems a bit much. I don't know though lol. Maybe. I was predicting around 60 million. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Yes, I agree. I think the banner year 2016 was for horror and the way something like Split (or even The Bye Bye Man, how'd that do $15m?) has broken out this year proves that there's a growing market for quality, original horror. That being said, $100m is a near-impossible milestone for any horror film to reach.

2016 was the best year for the genre in this decade, I thought it would be impossible to surpass it, but is looking more likely every day. With Split breaking out in a big way, Get Out following the same steps, and Wellness looking really promissing, this could end as the biggest year for the genre, both in quality and in Box Office. After two terrible years (2014 & 2015), it seems that things are improving on a big way, a big reason for this is the ascencion of once indie directors, that are going to big studios and regaining the credibility of the genre.

14 minutes ago, ban1o said:

mmm 100 million seems a bit much. I don't know though lol. Maybe. I was predicting around 60 million. 

People used to underestimate the potential of Don't Breathe before the release, and I'm feeling similar vibrations coming from this, the only thing that could hurt it is that it's being released after 4 horror movies in less than two months, the market may be saturated when this is released.

23 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Oh, shit, I forgot about that, haha! This franchise is so mainstream that I consider it more as a Sci-Fi Blockbuster, than a Horror movie, but, yeah, you're right.

Just because it's mainstream doesn't mean it's horror. Also, it could end up being more of an action movie like Aliens

A horror film with the power to put a rascally grin on the face of that great genre subverter John Carpenter ( They Live ), Get Out has more fun playing with half-buried racial tensions than with scaring us to death

A complex, accomplished genre hybrid that should alter Jordan Peele's business card.

The craziest thing about Jordan Peele's "Get Out" is this: Sometimes it's even better as a horror movie than a social critique.

It's not just a frightening concept, and it's not just terrifically suspenseful. It turns society on its ear in a way that only the best movies can.

100% after 23 reviews, and a 7.9/10 score.

• Like 1