POTUS 2020

Weekend BO- Actuals Mo 18.53, OCP 16.89, FB 10.43, Arr 5.58, NA 3.16, MbtS 3.13

16 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Impeccable timing. 

On Earth 2 where Clinton won I'm sure it opened on top this weekend. 

In addition to the details already given to you:

I am sure the RT details have 'nothing' to do with it... (I didn't check the reasonings, but critics and audience seem not to think it's award material according to the averages....)

Maybe a group of reasons?

57 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

This looks like a movie quote from a comedy. :lol:

When I say worked with a guy I mean he was fired and I have his job now. But that's a story for another time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Miss Sloane got zero marketing here at least. I have not even heard of that film if it wasn't for these forums.

The decision to go wide on this was complete corporate ineptitude. Who thought it would be a good idea?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

The decision to go wide on this was complete corporate ineptitude. Who thought it would be a good idea?

They went wide in order to take advantage the slow period before Christmas. They had no idea who would win the election, so it's just bad luck. It would not have made money anywhere else especially since it had little to no oscar buzz.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

That show is godawful outside of the chemistry between those two.

Funnily enough, I read recently that they had Oscar winner Mercedes Ruehl on it in a guest spot. How the mighty have fallen.

Being over 40 after winning her Oscar, did her career no favors. Besides plenty of older Oscar winners actors guest star on sitcoms. It's nothing new.

Edited by Fancyarcher

5 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

You want to reach back into ancient history, All in the Family is pretty amazing.  Great writing and one of the all-time iconic characters in Archie Bunker.  Still holds up today whenever I catch an episode.

It's also one of those shows that would absolutely never get greenlit these days.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Loved Friends as a kid but it's so cringe now. Dated, not funny, too white. Hell, even The Golden Girls is more watchable now. 

And that means what to this discussion?  Whether you individually like Friends or not doesn't change the fact that a lot of teenage girls in the US love the show and it has found new generations of devoted fans in syndication and on Netflix.

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I once worked with a guy who was obsessed with MASH. He'd watch episodes every day. 

MASH is absolutely hysterical. I actually got into the show because my younger brother was obsessed with it, along with a bunch of other shows when we were growing-up.

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Sitcoms died for a reason, they suck. 

This post would probably have more impact if there weren't about 25 sitcoms on prime time network television in the 2016-2017 broadcast year.  And that doesn't include all the cable networks that have their own original comedy programming.

5 minutes ago, KGator said:

This post would probably have more impact if there weren't about 25 sitcoms on prime time network television in the 2016-2017 broadcast year.  And that doesn't include all the cable networks that have their own original comedy programming.

And none of them are particularly successful. So the popularity of sitcoms died at least. Excluding the adult animated sitcom. 

Miss Sloane plays it a bit too fast and loose and preachy in the final act, but I still dug it a good bit. Also could have ditched a subplot that made for a good single scene but then got dragged out for a handful more through the movie.

Chastain was brilliant.

2 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Elle...well....great. It really is something else.

They seemed to have banked on a Clinton win and was going to use this film to promote some new gun control agenda.

Besides the hilarious twitter appeal to Hillary fans (hashtag "Nasty Woman" lol), I saw an ad with the tagline "The Movie the NRA doesn't want you to see!"

This movie wasn't even marketed as a movie. It was championed as a left-wing, anti-gun diatribe.