POTUS 2020

Weekend BO- Actuals Mo 18.53, OCP 16.89, FB 10.43, Arr 5.58, NA 3.16, MbtS 3.13

I missed the sitcom discussion! Which means I wasn't able to pimp NEWS RADIO. Man, was that a great show, although it never recovered from poor Phil Hartman's murder. 

In terms of sitcoms being dead or not any good, things are cyclical. And sitcoms evolved from and are designed to fill a particular niche. They're usually not trendy or hip or cutting edge, but people like laughing and I don't see them going away anytime soon. In fact, the best of them held up better than some dramas of their time. 

Admittedly, working on one gave me an appreciation for the genre I never really had before (even if I wasn't working on a traditional one). 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KGator said:

And that means what to this discussion?  Whether you individually like Friends or not doesn't change the fact that a lot of teenage girls in the US love the show and it has found new generations of devoted fans in syndication and on Netflix.

So because a lot of teenage girls in the US love the show and it has found a new audience on Netflix I'm not allowed to have an opinion on it? It sucks. 

Watched Things to Come and fuck Natalie PortMAN, fuck Phlegmma Stone, fuck Lamy Adams, fuck them all. Just give Huppert the Oscar already. #OscarsSoWhite? How about #OscarsSoAmerican? 

CzXlVKGWEAADiU8.jpg

Also what a great, stirring cover of Unchained Melody they used during the final scene. 

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, Gumby said:

They seemed to have banked on a Clinton win and was going to use this film to promote some new gun control agenda.

Besides the hilarious twitter appeal to Hillary fans (hashtag "Nasty Woman" lol), I saw an ad with the tagline "The Movie the NRA doesn't want you to see!"

This movie wasn't even marketed as a movie. It was championed as a left-wing, anti-gun diatribe.

Are you thinking of something else? Elle is a foreign movie that literally has nothing to do with gun control. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Are you thinking of something else? Elle is a foreign movie that literally has nothing to do with gun control. 

You clearly didn't get the nuanced gun control message in Elle. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I missed the sitcom discussion! Which means I wasn't able to pimp NEWS RADIO. Man, was that a great show, although it never recovered from poor Phil Hartman's murder. 

In terms of sitcoms being dead or not any good, things are cyclical. And sitcoms evolved from and are designed to fill a particular niche. They're usually not trendy or hip or cutting edge, but people like laughing and I don't see them going away anytime soon. In fact, the best of them held up better than some dramas of their time. 

Admittedly, working on one gave me an appreciation for the genre I never really had before (even if I wasn't working on a traditional one). 

Norman Lear sit-Coms were trendy/hip/cutting-edge. So was Roseanne.

By the way on current sit-coms, Mom is fantastic. 10/10 recommend.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Norman Lear sit-Coms were trendy/hip/cutting-edge. So was Roseanne.

By the way on current sit-coms, Mom is fantastic. 10/10 recommend.

By sheer dint of numbers, and with the establishment of the format (and occasional genius), yes, once in awhile they are. But the genre in general is much less reliant on those factors. Heck, sitcoms are modest, all they are is an evolution from live vaudeville acts. (I mean this as a compliment.)

As for sitcoms, my cable channel

plays How I met your mother, That '70s Show and According to Jim.

HIMMYM is abysmally unfunny and confusing, what with all the time jumping. I like Smulders, I find NPH genuinely annoying, Segel has one of the creepiest faces ever (how he hasn't been cast in a horror movie yet, I'll never know) and the Ted guy is kinda typical "average American male who loves Star Wars"  straight-man-in-comedy character.

The '70s Show, i'll never understand how it lasted so many years. The timing is COMPLETELY OFF and the acting is so wooden, god... Also full of stereotype characters like the main character (similar to the Ted guy from HIMMYM now that I think about it) and VERY sexist (every female role is cringeworthy, save for the red headed girlfriend, which is just...there).

According to Jim? for god's sake, I can't even start..

And yet, no Parks and Rec, no 30 Rock, no Curb your enthusiasm, just the above mentioned garbage...smh

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Xavier said:

As for sitcoms, my cable channel

plays How I met your mother, That '70s Show and According to Jim.

HIMMYM is abysmally unfunny and confusing, what with all the time jumping. I like Smulders, I find NPH genuinely annoying, Segel has one of the creepiest faces ever (how he hasn't been cast in a horror movie yet, I'll never know) and the Ted guy is kinda typical "average American male who loves Star Wars"  straight-man-in-comedy character.

The '70s Show, i'll never understand how it lasted so many years. The timing is COMPLETELY OFF and the acting is so wooden, god... Also full of stereotype characters like the main character (similar to the Ted guy from HIMMYM now that I think about it) and VERY sexist (every female role is cringeworthy, save for the red headed girlfriend, which is just...there).

According to Jim? for god's sake, I can't even start..

And yet, no Parks and Rec, no 30 Rock, no Curb your enthusiasm, just the above mentioned garbage...smh

That 70's Show is fantastic. Yeah the characters are stereotypes but the show uses them well. It had a great cast as well.