Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

junketeers, what does that mean? Teach me tele

During a movie's premiere -- or extended series of premieres -- studio marketing invites a huge number of entertainment journalists to the premiere, basically to cover the red carpet and to get access to the movie's stars and main creative people for "exclusive" interviews. There's a very tacit agreement -- it's not hidden at all -- that the purpose is to help each promote the other's product: the journalists are there not to do hardcore, challenging, in-depth interviews, but essentially upbeat, cheerful, and quick ones. In return, they gain special access which lets them write coverage of the event that helps sell copies, page hits, whatever for their blog or periodical or TV show. And, on a personal level, they often get flown and stay at the Four Seasons (or wherever) on the studio dime. Most legit entertainment journalists are very open about this, and acknowledge it even while putting it aside in terms of reviewing the movie (the review is probably the most worthless part of the whole event, as far as the studio is concerned). However, there are a handful (more than a handful) of entertainment people whose job is not to provide criticism at all, but to provide glossy exciting coverage of celebrities and stars and movies and TV. Think E! Channel, or Entertainment Tonight, or Access Hollywood, or any number of shows like this. These outlets (and their on-camera personalities) are happy to give enthusiastic one-liner blurbs about how awesome a movie is, and the studios use this in their marketing. It's so blatant that the studios will even provide pre-written copy and the personalities -- the junketeers -- basically pick which one they want to use.

None of this is really trying to fool anyone. It's basically just two different entertainment/marketing companies agreeing to cross-promote each others' products.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dammit, only got around to liking about 5 of Empire's post before running out.

Don't worry though Empire, from now on I'll be showering you in enough likes, mentions @EmpireCity, and quotes you'll soon drown. 

Lol.  The troll has been trolled himself today.  Mission Accomplished. 

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

What are you talking about?! Avatar was absolutely destroyed by Force Awakens. Please don't cling to some desperate WW gross dependent on foreign exchange rates and politics. Where it counts Avatar got the ass kicking of a lifetime and abdicated its throne in under three weeks. It was a rout for the ages!

Don't be conceited Jonathan, why must the rest of the world care more about domestic?

Ng0f1Vp.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

Disney's doing its job then. We're taking it for granted as a Star Wars movie.

Yup, as a casual fan I had no idea it was a spin-off, nor did my friends who I saw it with. Makes me even more impressed with the opening.

Edited by Mattrek

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

During a movie's premiere -- or extended series of premieres -- studio marketing invites a huge number of entertainment journalists to the premiere, basically to cover the red carpet and to get access to the movie's stars and main creative people for "exclusive" interviews. There's a very tacit agreement -- it's not hidden at all -- that the purpose is to help each promote the other's product: the journalists are there not to do hardcore, challenging, in-depth interviews, but essentially upbeat, cheerful, and quick ones. In return, they gain special access which lets them write coverage of the event that helps sell copies, page hits, whatever for their blog or periodical or TV show. And, on a personal level, they often get flown and stay at the Four Seasons (or wherever) on the studio dime. Most legit entertainment journalists are very open about this, and acknowledge it even while putting it aside in terms of reviewing the movie (the review is probably the most worthless part of the whole event, as far as the studio is concerned). However, there are a handful (more than a handful) of entertainment people whose job is not to provide criticism at all, but to provide glossy exciting coverage of celebrities and stars and movies and TV. Think E! Channel, or Entertainment Tonight, or Access Hollywood, or any number of shows like this. These outlets (and their on-camera personalities) are happy to give enthusiastic one-liner blurbs about how awesome a movie is, and the studios use this in their marketing. It's so blatant that the studios will even provide pre-written copy and the personalities -- the junketeers -- basically pick which one they want to use.

None of this is really trying to fool anyone. It's basically just two different entertainment/marketing companies agreeing to cross-promote each others' products.

thank you, I'm out of likes.

• Like 1

I am about to post some pics of steelbooks like After Earth, Ted 2 and IDR, and Blurays like Gods of Egypt, The Divergent Series and Dracula Untold. Don't make me do it people.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

What are you talking about?! Avatar was absolutely destroyed by Force Awakens. Please don't cling to some desperate WW gross dependent on foreign exchange rates and politics. Where it counts Avatar got the ass kicking of a lifetime and abdicated its throne in under three weeks. It was a rout for the ages!

LOL what?, TFA beat AVATAR by 160mil 6 years later. Its also 800mil behind AVATAR worldwide.#

Lets get real here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Seen it 3 times on Blu-ray, I think it has great rematch value. Do it. 

I've gotten really bad in recent years about not liking to see big scale movies outside of a theater. I spend way too much to see a blockbuster  I like in the theater a few times, and then I kinda never watch it again. :ph34r:

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

My take on Rogue 1 is that I consider it an inferior film to TFA overall, owing to the absolutely uninteresting characters/relationships, and filler plot. But when it pops, it pops harder than TFA. Nothing in TFA thrilled me to such an extent as RO's climatic battle did. 

All in all, after how safe TFA felt, RO restored my hope (pun intended) that we might eventually get a really good Star Wars film in this new batch. It's actually pumped me for Ep 8.

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Ackbar said:

I joined these forums to simply see discussions of numbers, predictions, patterns and movies in general, not all of this mostly unrelated filler. :ohmyzod:

However, I must admit I do enjoy seeing randoms waste so much time and energy arguing online about absolutely nothing :lol:

Well there's plenty of that. But there's plenty of bullshit as well. This is pretty tame compared to DCEU threads...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Admiral Ackbar said:

I joined these forums to simply see discussions of numbers, predictions, patterns and movies in general, not all of this mostly unrelated filler. :ohmyzod:

However, I must admit I do enjoy seeing randoms waste so much time and energy arguing online about absolutely nothing :lol:

fanboyism / negative nancys goes with the territory

3 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

How weird is it that I have great fondness and love towards AVATAR, TFAand ROGUE ONE?

According to the last 25 pages or so, this is impossible.

All things are possible in senility. 

That was a joke not a personal attack

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

The Nolanites were far worse than AVATAR fans anyway. Thankfully that cult has been dispanded lately it seems.

Not all of them were worse, I have seen rather extreme fanatics in a lot of 'fandoms', including Avatar.

In my POV a fanatic not only is not a fan, he/she hurts the fandom by creating disgust or..