Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

1 minute ago, Jessie said:

Well sure but when every person I know who has seen the film doesn't think too much of it I think I'll take actual people's opinions as apposed to fanboy on a website that praises the shit out of all their franchise favourites

Sure but by the same token I've yet to talk to anyone I know personally who didn't love it. Not sure why your friends didn't but that's unusual.

I thought Finding Dory rocked by the way. I really enjoyed it and Civil War (great!). I still want Rogue One to pass them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

Sure but by the same token I've yet to talk to anyone I know personally who didn't love it. Not sure why your friends didn't but that's unusual.

I thought Finding Dory rocked by the way. I really enjoyed it and Civil War (great!). I still want Rogue One to pass them.

What do we have apart from anecdotes and biased polls...

• Like 1

Rogue One will play well with fans. Too many references to ANH that will thrill them. I myself loved every one of them including fleeting appearances of certain characters. But I doubt it will be a must watch for GA. TFA became a movie that could not be missed. Generally record breakers have that factor.

1 minute ago, Jessie said:

People on this site treat audiences like idiots "it has a great 3rd act so WOM will be strong" ?

It's like you guys think audiences have a very selective memory and forget the dull first two thirds of the movie 

I watched with 6 people and they found the film good but the ending was spectacular.

If a film leaves you ending with a good feeling, that is usually what people remember. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Rogue One will play well with fans. Too many references to ANH that will thrill them. I myself loved every one of them including fleeting appearances of certain characters. But I doubt it will be a must watch for GA. TFA became a movie that could not be missed. Generally record breakers have that factor.

unlike many franchise, a lot of the general audience are Star Wars fans to some degree or another.

Meaning references that are obscure in other franchises are well known as they are so much part of our culture.  

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dory was fantastic. You dont have any interaction with kids with disabilities. Except the dreamworldish climax with octopus riding the truck it was brilliant. New characters were top notch. Zootopia and JB were other blockbusters with rock solid story lines.

Civil War is much better than Rogue One in my opinion. That being said R1 had the best finish of all the blockbusters. That still does not make up for boring 1st 2 acts.

Dory was brilliant. I'll give you that. Although it took me two viewings to realise just how good. In its own way it's on a par with the original. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jessie said:

People on this site treat audiences like idiots "it has a great 3rd act so WOM will be strong" ?

It's like you guys think audiences have a very selective memory and forget the dull first two thirds of the movie 

Name a single shred of evidence other than your personal opinion that indicates Rogue One won't have good WOM.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That's me!

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

lol calling for a sub 3 multiplier ? 

its previews will be close to 20% of OW. Plus with christmas Eve falling on saturday affects holiday legs more than usual. I am definitely confident it will have weaker legs than TFA despite opening weaker. Not sure about sub 3.0 multi but it wont be that far off.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jessie said:

So I paid £15 to see this in imax just for Dunkirk despite already having an unlimited card so I was disappointed not only by the fact there was no prologue shown but the film also happened to be one of the mist boring blockbusters I've seen in a while. The general consensus from everyone I went with was it was meh. Sure the end was fun, but it wasn't worth the first hour and a half if boredom 

Expect lackluster WOM

Prologue is only in Manchester and Sheffield outside of London 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Moreover, it's such a strange notion that there has to be a clean line separating the two. Grandiose, larger-than-life stories only ever benefit from intimate character moments and gestures, and grand spectacles that actually age well and still have an impact on people decades later do so because there are feelings and emotions in there that people recognize and that feel authentic no matter the context. Whatever the budget of your movie is, or the amount of VFX you're gonna throw in there, you need to locate some kind of an emotional core and do it right, otherwise your movie might make money but no one will really give a shit a few years or even months later. If anyone has such a problem with films that are all purely about character and relationships that they have to endlessly vent about it and make blanket statements about what kind of stories "we" need or don't need, well, that's their problem. 

Abso-fucking-lutely.

Ky54zOn.gif

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I watched with 6 people and they found the film good but the ending was spectacular.

If a film leaves you ending with a good feeling, that is usually what people remember. 

Really? Well godzilla had a good ending, didn't help that out.

Come to think of it this was exactly like godzilla ?. Boring until the end and initially everyone though that ending was going to generate phenomonal WOM. Watch the same happen here 

Edited by Jessie

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

its previews will be close to 20% of OW. Plus with christmas Eve falling on saturday affects holiday legs more than usual. I am definitely confident it will have weaker legs than TFA despite opening weaker. Not sure about sub 3.0 multi but it wont be that far off.

It's going to be dangerously close to Baumers under 450 according to you!

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

You do realize that business just shifts to Sunday to Tuesday...

look at 2011, I am usually conservative as well but based on the past it will be smooth sailing.

I am think 350 million by 27th is possible. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1