John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Dude let's talk apples to apples please. I was talking domestic box office which is what the conversation was about. Only way you can remotely compare with divergent is the final film. Hands down domestically HG beats Twilight and nearly does so in total box office in spite of having 1 film less. 

The conversation was about whether Jlaw was the reason why THG got the box office numbers that it did. I wasn't aware that it was strictly for domestic BO. 

I only brought up its domestic OW to show that there is no way you can say that Jlaw was a nobody when the first film came out and then turn right back around and say she was the reason why the film opened to what it did. She is PART of the reason why the films were successful. I don't think anyone could deny that. She's not the only reason though which is what some of the folks on here like to claim. But I am going to leave it at that. Of course she had a part. But she's not the only reason. Thats my belief. Others may disagree and thats their opinion and they have a right to have it. 

Edited by Nova

47 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Exactly it's an asinine argument showing zero box office knowledge or film knowledge and coming in a post saying how other posters here are clueless about the box office? Look in the mirror dude. Yeah some chick who had been in nothing significant was the reason for a $152M OW. Ok. 

post-58969-Meryl-Streep-yes-yes-yes-gif-

• Like 1

@straggler I don't think that Joy and Our Brand Is Crisis are an apt comparison at all or are you saying that Jlaw is a bigger star than Sandra Bullock? There are movies that simply aren't appealing no matter who you put in them. Joy was definitely more appealing concept and was sold on Jlaw's "feminist icon" post-essay persona (I read that thing and the point stands - regular folk don't give a shit whether JLaw was robbed off her 5M on top of 15M and the essay wouldn't exist without Sony leak prompting social media and media backlash against Renner's pay). As it is, that clearly didn't appeal to enough people to make 60M production break even (101M worldwide and 56M domestic gross). And there's undeniable drop in her franchise boxoffice even though marketing was focused on her (see X Men Apocalypse). You can blame Mockingjay split all you like but everyone will tell you are HP:DH and Twilight:BD splits had negligible drops for Pt 1 while both Pt 2 increased. Mockingjay took a nosedive and than another. So split was definitely not the only factor nor was unpopularity of the book. Breaking Dawn book was far more hated, so much so it was a running joke even by those who didn't read it, yet the movies are among the franchise's highest grossing. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Maybe 100% is too high but I don't think it will increase as little as 55%.  

You are right that the pattern is different every year but Christmas doesn't stay on the same calendar day either. Compare the new release family / kid films in 2011 with sing and see what we are saying. Look at how boxing day on the Monday changes the box office when compared with say a Thursday or Friday  (2013, 2014). 

I would love to see an increase closer to 100% statistically it's not probable. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

The conversation was about whether Jlaw was the reason why THG got the box office numbers that it did. I wasn't aware that it was strictly for domestic BO. 

I only brought up its domestic OW to show that there is no way you can say that Jlaw was a nobody when the first film came out and then turn right back around and say she was the reason why the film opened to what it did. She is PART of the reason why the films were successful. I don't think anyone could deny that. She's not the only reason though which is what some of the folks on here like to claim. But I am going to leave it at that. Of course she had a part. But she's not the only reason. Thats my belief. Others may disagree and thats their opinion and they have a right to have it. 

I am out of likes lol. But you are right, she really had nothing to do with the opening weekend but she had much to do with the legs and final gross. That was my point / belief and that comes from someone who only finds the films mildly interesting and hasn't even seen the last one. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

What I'm trying to say is that I really think we should just acknowledge that the people in the film industry are normal people, with a lot of spotlight, and thus stop judging them for every little thing.  I don't know Jennifer Lawrence, I only see (some) of her interviews and movies.  I have no idea if she's fake, or a perfectly nice person, nor should I really care.  

The only time I really care is if it's a Nate Parker type of case, where I'd be supporting somebody who got away with rape.  

I think it's fine to discuss different individuals based on the merits of their trade, but why discuss how good/bad a person is who you've never even met?

Sneak out and see Rogue One instead.

I wish we took more field trips to see movies. Only movie field trip I've been on was to see A Bug's Life.

46 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I am not the biggest comic book guy... I knew nothing about Deadpool. I think it's safe to say more than any other comic book movie with the exception of perhaps The Dark Knight, it shocked me the most. I was hooked right from the opening credits when it says directed by some douchebag or whatever the opening scroll said. I knew right then and there I was in for Something Completely up my alley.

b4IOKRe.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Absolutely. She was the part of the reason why first THG opened big and had tremendous legs but her popularity sky-rocketed after that and SLP + Oscar win and that definitely fueled CF's even bigger opening and stunning feat of pulling another 400+M plus passing THG adjusted. There's absolutely no doubt that CF phenomenon was Jlaw doing. She was Katniss. I remember how popular she was, it was crazy. But I also think that her drop in popularity/backlash/overexposure hurt Mockingjay among other things. And she definitely didn't carry the same appeal to X Men like return of Wolverine and old magneto and X in DOFP (although she took the credit cause some movie ticket sites cited her as the main draw) which was evident in Apocalypse drop. And than came Joy and now Passengers.