John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

17 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The video game movie seems like a cursed genre. Maybe a good thing though. Leave the video games in their own medium where they can drag it out over many hours of gameplay instead of trying to cram everything into 2 hours.

I think the problem is, is that video games are often treated more like B movies then anything. 

17 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Dragon Tattoo opened with a $5m Wed and did $27.8m over the 6 day and that was with far better reviews.   So the question is - can "star power" off set reviews and get it a better multiplier?

Passengers is gonna prove that star power alone can't sorely save a film these days. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Something tells me Tom Rothman's reign at Sony isn't long for this world much longer.

#Justice4AmazingAmyPascal

This project started under Pascal didn't it? (s did Ghostbusters)  Rothman is the one that balked at the price tag and tried to get it at least under $90m but couldn't and then turned around and offset the budget by selling territories which now looks smart.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Something tells me Tom Rothman's reign at Sony isn't long for this world much longer.

#Justice4AmazingAmyPascal

I can't be the only one who finds it ironic that this year Sony benefited from 4 relatively smaller budget films that looked like they'd bomb and then their films that were supposed to be box office smashes underperformed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spaghetti by the Sea said:

I'm praying for a $18m 3-day opening weekend for Passengers. My winter game can still be salvaged.

If it doesn't at least do that with Christmas landing on Sunday then we may as well pack it all up 

3 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

PATRIOTS DAY earned an estimated $64,644 from 7 locations on opening day Wednesday.

That's actually pretty good since it's only getting a qualifying release and isn't relying too heavily on awards buzz. I see it easily beating Live By Night when they go wide head-to-head on the same weekend.

Just now, Treecraft said:

implying either jennifer lawrence or chris pratt have star power

I didn't. It's just based off the sole success of GOTG, and THG, studios think they do. Really star power is an absolute rare thing these days, and it depends on the concept / how a film is sold anyway. 

I have this amazing technique for not hating on actors or actresses, and I'll share it with you for the low, low price of only $14.99.

Ready?

Don't read or watch entertainment fluff pieces or gossip. They're either ridiculously building someone up or tearing them down. It's just awful.

In terms of paychecks, I think this is where a lot of people get a touch hypocritical because you're either thinking about overall budgets or franchises. First of all, no one gets a option for a cut of the gross unless you're a huge A-lister. So taking a backend deal isn't much of an option for most. Secondly, I seriously question whether most of you would turn down a guaranteed paycheck for a far more nebulous payday somewhere down the road. If it's an incredible passion project, perhaps. Or if you want to roll the dice with a potentially huge blockbuster. But it's just that: a roll of the dice. I can't fault anyone for choosing to be paid up front. 

• Like 22