John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Video game movies are cursed because anyone who takes them seriously is probably laughed out of the room by studio execs.

Comic book movies also had to endure this for decades.

I think the difference between video games and comics is the former is interactive and completely relies on that and if you do away with that aspect, you don't have much to work with in terms of adapting.

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

If the issues are mostly in the third act, I have to wonder if it wasn't subjected to script rewrites and last minute changes. Someone said they wondered which ending the final movie has compared to what they saw at a test screening. 

I haven't seen it yet, but it would really suck if there was a potentially good movie there that was tossed aside for an action filled ending or whatever it ended up being.

oh well. It this costs Tom Rothman his position at Sony, at least something good would come out of it.

I fear for the Dark Tower to be honest

XMen is also how Jennifer Lawrence lost me too. Yeah, she exploded and didn't need the franchise anymore, but there were fans who loved the series including kids and she could have put forth some effort. I'm a big XMen fan, so that push me negative. J. Law had a big winning streak with THG, the D.O. Russell ensembles, and DOFP was well reviewed and did pretty well in there. 

I don't actively hate her, and she's clearly a talented actress, and I admired her stands on equal pay and the way she spoke out during her nude photo leak. That was strong and morally right.

There have always been people who felt like J. Law was disrespectful. But, early on, her work stood out and it was exciting and new to have a celebrity who was not perfectionist and polished. And J. Law had a down to earth interview persona.

The franchise performance cooled down and when J. Law was in other fare, it did not do so well, and the novelty of the real girl wore off and people became more suspicious of it. Some found some things Lawrence did less than endearing, like the Hawaiian rock. And her Hollywood entitlement showed in places.

And then, there's the Passengers paycheck. One key thing here, is that Sony tried to give her less, but shee and her reps insisted on 20M and threatened to walk if they did not get it. That's a demand. And Lawrence chose to sign up for Passengers. Picking a role and demanding that kind of money is going to result in scrutiny. And it's looking like that's not going to work out well.

GTA V made a billion dollars upon release - I think the days of industry types not taking videogames seriously are over.

The problem is simply a creative one. How do you fashion something that's popular because of its gameplay into something that's good without it?

• Like 2

Passengers, Collateral Beauty, See of Trees and Demolition (off the top of my head) show how out of touch Hollywood execs who vote for The Black List are. So many awful scripts (though I did like Passengers). 

This year's #1 Black List script is a terrible, on-the-nose collection of showbiz cliches about Madonna becoming a star in the early '80s ?

17 minutes ago, ThePanda A Star Wars Story said:

I think the problem with video game movies is that 

1.Story is typically secondary, and when it's not, it's typically an interactive kind of story.

2.A lot of the charm in the story of games like Elder Scrolls, Legend of Zelda and Warcraft is the expansive universe, and discovering it for yourself.  The lore is really fun, but you can't really cram what makes some of those games great into a two hour movie.

3.Most studios try to do a direct adaption of a 40 hour+ video game and fit it into a two hour movie.  If they really want to make a good video game movie then they need to do an original story in the universe.

4.95% of video games (even if they're great games) just aren't going to translate well into a movie, even with the best talent involved.  The material just doesn't adapt well.

It's probably possible to make a solid video game movie, I just don't think anybody in Hollywood has really figured out how, nor do I think it's really worth the investment to figure that out.  At best, I think some video games (might) be able to translate into a solid TV Show, but even then I'd probably recommend letting games stay games.

I read that as "4.95% of video games" and thought... wait that's so few of them wtf! :WHATanabe:

:qotd:

• Like 3

Just now, superweirdo87 said:

And then, there's the Passengers paycheck. One key thing here, is that Sony tried to give her less, but shee and her reps insisted on 20M and threatened to walk if they did not get it. That's a demand. And Lawrence chose to sign up for Passengers. Picking a role and demanding that kind of money is going to result in scrutiny. And it's looking like that's not going to work out well.

This is standard operating procedure. This is why you have agents: to negotiate and secure the best deal possible. Actors and directors (and to a far, far lesser extent, writers) have been doing this for a hundred years. Why is it a problem when JLaw does it?

• Like 8

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

This is standard operating procedure. This is why you have agents: to negotiate and secure the best deal possible. Actors and directors (and to a far, far lesser extent, writers) have been doing this for a hundred years. Why is it a problem when JLaw does it?

Because curse women for not sticking to the kitchen, I guess.

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Passengers, Collateral Beauty, See of Trees and Demolition (off the top of my head) show how out of touch Hollywood execs who vote for The Black List are. So many awful scripts (though I did like Passengers). 

This year's #1 Black List script is a terrible, on-the-nose collection of showbiz cliches about Madonna becoming a star in the early '80s ?

So because their tastes differ from yours, they're out of touch?

The BL is for unproduced scripts, I feel like people keep forgetting that. The same execs who voted for those movies also didn't greenlit them. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I disagree. They are bullies. You can't say you don't think a PoC actor is all that without being called a racist. My young twin sisters have been called racist by SJW because they don't ship a widely unpopular Finnrey (Rey and Finn from TFA) since it's a friendzone that isn't going anywhere (that's even according to the actor himself). Etc. The list is way too long to sympathize with those people, sorry.

@grey ghost

SJW make people wanna jump on alt right wagon in spite. 

Tired of unjustly being called racist.

*joins an openly racist group*

Seems legit.

• Like 9

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

So because their tastes differ from yours, they're out of touch?

The BL is for unproduced scripts, I feel like people keep forgetting that. The same execs who voted for those movies also didn't greenlit them. 

If you liked the scripts for Collateral Beauty, Sea of Trees and Demolition, yes, you're out of touch. 

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Seems legit.

Did you watch the Wanda Sykes skit I posted a page ago? It all stems for a fear of karma so they pull the "reverse racism/sexism" card.

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

First, Tele, I think you're right that avoiding gossip and fluff helps avoid the hate. Media coverage and tone factor in.

It's fine for her to negotiate a good deal. But, demanding 20M is going to bring scrutiny and doing it on a risky project had the potential for negative blowback. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

What is it with BOM and the-numbers and many websites predicting 70+ 3-day for Rogue One 2nd week-end?

They're only setting themselves up for disappointment I think. :depp:

$70m is probably the high bar at this point, but it's not impossible considering how terribly AC and Passengers are doing. Somewhere in the $65m range would be my guess at this point. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Seems legit.

I see your point but what is achieved by calling people racist when it isn't justified? Not shipping a resounding friendzone (that happens to be IR) =/= shooting unarmed people or beating them up or harming them in any other way. if the idea is to point out to my sisters that they are unconsciously racist than they missed the mark. They are not sympathetic to that and neither am I. There. That's not the way to create empathy. My family is always going to be more important to me than any bloody social justice cause. There. They can all fuck off I don't care for their needs.

Edited by Valonqar

7 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I don't have anything against JLaw. However, when you're a star publicly taking home a huge paycheck and the movie sucks, you're going to come in for more criticism than if you'd resolved the pay issue quietly.