FlashMaster659

Tues #s (Asgard pg 136) R1 22.4 Sing 17.7 Pass 6 Moan 4.6 Ass 3.6 WH 3.4 Fen 3.1 LLL 2.6

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Problem:

Is Tank Girl really in the same genre as, oh, Captain America: Civil War?  Or Men in Black?  Or Mask?  Each and every one of those are movies based on comic book properties.

I mean, might as well say Frankenstien, Wuthering Heights, and The Long Goodbye are all in the same genre, since they're all films based on literature.

That's the argument folks are making here.

• Like 7

Theater was packed! Especially for a second Tuesday, damn. Audience felt dead until there was a bigger applause at the end than at the premiere. I got misty-eyed near the end myself, and both my parents really liked it (brother wasn't a fan). Good time

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, might as well say Frankenstien, Wuthering Heights, and The Long Goodbye are all in the same genre, since they're all films based on literature.

That's the argument folks are making here.

Literature is a medium.

Comedy is a genre.

37 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Computer animation is as much of a genre as anime is.

(the REAL problem is that in the US/North America market at least, computer animation is pretty pigeon-holed into select groupings, despite some attempts to break out into other areas)

Here's how I'd frame the issue.

Suppose a Pixar or WDAS movie was rated PG-13. Made fewer attempts to appeal to children. People would expect a kiddie movie anyways, just from the Disney name. Lots of people could get upset by that, and it's not like the PG-13 rating will get droves of teenagers in seats anyways. The audience would just wait for the next PG-13 superhero or Star Wars movie, and the next family-friendly animated feature would get the pent up demand that the PG-13 animated feature didn't fulfill.

• Like 1

Took my mom to see Rogue One tonight. She's not a Star Wars fan. Never even watched a  Star Wars film. She absolutely loved it. She loved everything about it but most importantly the story that it told. She even clapped at the end and she rarely claps at the end of movies. 

Such a great film. Even better the second time I personally watched it. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 12

33 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

i always am reminded of her cameo in Scream 3

While Scream has a lot of great self references this one has always been one of my favorites. I know everyone is curious about Episodes 8 and 9 but as someone who watches both Family Guy and Catastrophe I'm curious to see how her characters will be handled. Sure Family Guy was just occasional reoccurring she was still Peter's boss. I hope Seth Macfarlane does something similar to what The Simpsons did with Marcia Wallace and have a nice tribute before replacing the character. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Literature is a medium.

Comedy is a genre.

Problem is, a film like Hellboy and a film like From Hell have almost nothing in common except the word 'Hell'.   

I just don't see it as very useful to put them in the same genre (movies based on graphic novels).   Men in Black and Tank Girl (to pick two from my earlier post), I can see if I squint REALLY hard, but even then putting them in the same box is pretty useless.  Unless one is going to put Mad Max and Time Cop in the same box.

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Here's how I'd frame the issue.

Suppose a Pixar or WDAS movie was rated PG-13. Made fewer attempts to appeal to children. People would expect a kiddie movie anyways, just from the Disney name. Lots of people could get upset by that, and it's not like the PG-13 rating will get droves of teenagers in seats anyways. The audience would just wait for the next PG-13 superhero or Star Wars movie, and the next family-friendly animated feature would get the pent up demand that the PG-13 animated feature didn't fulfill.

But that's because Pixar and WDAS make broadly similar movies.  It's expected, as you say.  But to flip back to anime, something like Spirited Away is NOTHING like Cowboy Bebop.  At most it could be thrown under a Science Fiction and Fantasy umbrella, and even then it's straining at the edges.

What I think the issue is that animation has largely been relegated to certain types of movies/age groups in the US for whatever reason.  But in other parts of the world, that really isn't the case.  And I just don't think it's particularly useful to put Cool World or Heavy Metal and Zootopia in the same box.

• Like 5

Saw the movie in IMAX 3D.

Thought the 3D was fuzzy. Wasn't a great conversion to 3D. Otherwise very pleased with the space/ship scenes. I'm gonna have to see it in 2D again to compare. :) 

I was already very happy only 30 minutes in. As an action/war flick set in the SW universe, this movie kicked serious ass. In many ways the SW movie I've been wanting to see for decades. It's so much better than TFA. Seeing it a 2nd time confirmed that notion. I loved how much more realistic the movie is in terms of war.

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Saw the movie in IMAX 3D.

Thought the 3D was fuzzy. Wasn't a great conversion to 3D. Otherwise very pleased with the space/ship scenes. I'm gonna have to see it in 2D again to compare. :) 

I was already very happy only 30 minutes in. As an action/war flick set in the SW universe, this movie kicked serious ass. In many ways the SW movie I've been wanting to see for decades. It's so much better than TFA. Seeing it a 2nd time confirmed that notion. I loved how much more realistic the movie is in terms of war.

I did not like the 3d either

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

But that's because Pixar and WDAS make broadly similar movies.  It's expected, as you say.  But to flip back to anime, something like Spirited Away is NOTHING like Cowboy Bebop.  At most it could be thrown under a Science Fiction and Fantasy umbrella, and even then it's straining at the edges.

What I think the issue is that animation has largely been relegated to certain types of movies/age groups in the US for whatever reason.  But in other parts of the world, that really isn't the case.  And I just don't think it's particularly useful to put Cool World or Heavy Metal and Zootopia in the same box.

Cowboy Bebop isn't a super-lucrative animated feature, either.

Lots of these non-family friendly animated have limited budgets, which is something Disney just doesn't do.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Problem is, a film like Hellboy and a film like From Hell have almost nothing in common except the word 'Hell'.   

I just don't see it as very useful to put them in the same genre (movies based on graphic novels).   Men in Black and Tank Girl (to pick two from my earlier post), I can see if I squint REALLY hard, but even then putting them in the same box is pretty useless.  Unless one is going to put Mad Max and Time Cop in the same box.

Is grouping things very different from each other pointless.

It depends on who does the grouping. Grouping From Hell and Tank Girl might seem pointless to most people but to the comic book nerd it distinguishes those movies as something derived from the comic book medium.

Even box office nerds can learn about the potential of comic book movies by looking at a chart of only those movies.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Cowboy Bebop isn't a super-lucrative animated feature, either.

Fair enough, but I was going for well known properties in the US.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

It depends on who does the grouping. Grouping From Hell and Tank Girl might seem pointless to most people but to the comic book nerd it distinguishes those movies as something derived from the comic book medium.

But then we're back to grouping Frakenstein and The Long Goodbye as the same genre.

I just can't do it, personally.

MY GUESSES:

Rogue One - 21 / 339

Sing - 17 / 92.5

Passengers - 5.5 / 35.5

Moana - 4.5 / 190

Fences - 4.5 / 16.3

Why Him - 4.0 / 19.5

Assassin's - 4.0 / 26.3

La La - 3.2 / 20.3

Collateral - 1.9 / 19.3

Office - 1.6 / 45.7