FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I just watched an early Andrea Arnold short in which a dude literally kicks a puppy to death and that was less bleak than reading the last few pages here.

We need some numbers to talk about STAT!

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

If the writer is dealing with a tragic past during writing a film/book, that doesn't make it any more or less deep.  If Michael Bay were dealing with Rowling's same thoughts she was dealing with while he was making Transformers: Age of Extinction, would it have been deep?

Except those things were all potter was about, they informed the stories. 

They're really ambitious coming of age stories that go to some deep and emotional places, contain a lot of dryly humorous observations on real life, include lots of rich dark satire and get shockingly gritty and bleak thematics amongst it all. Rowling talks about "The Forest Again" chapter being the heart of the series, and I think that really speaks volumes as to what the series is about (the chapter when Harry is going to his death and he talks to the spirits of his dead loved ones which comfort him on his way.) 

I'd say that's its time to take it to another thread but there are no other numbers to discuss and this is what invariably happens to these threads.

I saw Lion today.  I liked the story a lot and Dev Patel was very good.  I felt some of the editing kept it from being a fantastic film but it's still a very good one.  There were two scenes that got me incredibly choked up.  I won't be surprised if this is nominated for best picture.

Just now, caseydanielle31 said:

They're really ambitious coming of age stories that go to some deep and emotional places, contain a lot of dryly humorous observations on real life, include lots of rich dark satire and get shockingly gritty and bleak thematics amongst it all. Rowling talks about "The Forest Again" chapter being the heart of the series, and I think that really speaks volumes as to what the series is about (the chapter when Harry is going to his death and he talks to the spirits of his dead loved ones which comfort him on his way.) 

See, and I find all of that to be gobblety gook hogwash.  

• Like 3

Just now, caseydanielle31 said:

If you want to save some face, bring that conversation to the Franchise War thread. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

My niece saw Moana today and told me "it's the best movie I've ever seen, Uncle Danny."

My little cousin enjoyed Moana too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

How many days you think it's gonna take Moana to outgross Fantastic Beasts dom? 

I'm no good at this at all but I'd say by the end of next weekend if Moana keeps holding strongly. This week is probably when Fantastic Beasts starts to fizzle out.

4 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

My niece saw Moana today and told me "it's the best movie I've ever seen, Uncle Danny."

Awesome. My nephew is due in April. Can't wait to take him to Star Wars movies sometime down the line. I wonder what Lucasfilm will be doing in 8-10 years time anyway...

• Like 5

Just now, JB33 said:

Awesome. My nephew is due in April. Can't wait to take him to Star Wars movies sometime down the line. I wonder what Lucasfilm will be doing in 8-10 years time anyway...

Young Kyle Ren I: A Star Wars Saga in 2025.

• Like 1