WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

scorsese has always been seen as a guy whose movies cost too damn much. it's only when he paired up with leo that his hit rate got a little more consistent. lucky he's so goddamn revered i guess. was tough for him in the 80s. 

apparently half of silence's budget was spent on legal fees.

Once you're an established director, studios are more willing to give you leeway if you produce a hit every so often. Clint Eastwood for example had two back to back flops with Hereafter and Invictus but more than made up for them with American Sniper and Sully. 

DISNEY OWNS THE FIRST 5 WW MOVIES OF 2016, THIS WILL BE TH FIRST TIME & THE LAST TIME A STUDIO CAN MAKE SUCH A FEAT!

CONGRATULATIONS DISNEY & THANK YOU

Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / %
1 Captain America: Civil War BV $1,153.3 $408.1 35.4% $745.2 64.6%
2 Finding Dory BV $1,027.9 $486.3 47.3% $541.6 52.7%
3 Zootopia BV $1,023.8 $341.3 33.3% $682.5 66.7%
4 The Jungle Book (2016) BV $966.6 $364.0 37.7% $602.5 62.3%
5 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV $914 $477.4 51.3% $437.1 48.7%

• Like 8

If the PTAs for Patriots Day and Live by Night hold the way The Lovely Bones did 7 years ago when it went wide, that would mean a $25M 4-day wide launch for the former and a $10M 4-day wide launch for the latter. Lone Survivor was thrown out in the comparison since that was only in 2 theaters compared to Patriots Day's 7.

What is the box office ceiling on depressing movies in general? I guess it depends on how you define depressing? I mean, it isn't like Manchester by the Sea is going to make $150M or anything. Some would say Titanic is depressing but it was also a romance and sweeping historical drama with tons of action to mitigate all that, and it's not like US studios are making movies like that with non-white leads. But the box-office ceiling would probably be lower. :(

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

lol imdb has had something against this film since the first trailer. It seems the rating is rising though now that real people are voting to balance all the trolls. Like obviously not everyone has to like the film but some their resentment is very strange 

I know, I think there's an obvious difference to see something like, "Eh, Hidden Figures was a bit light and broad for me, I read the book and wish they'd focused more on Katherine's life," or "Ugh, Moonlight, why do gay love stories have to be artsy and cold? When's there going to be a gay Titanic?" vs. "Hidden Figures, politically correct BS made to appease the #OscarsSoWhite whiners!" and "Moonlight, effin' Hollywood forcing its liberal homosexual agenda on everyone!"

There's debating and reviewing the merits and drawbacks of a particular film vs. throwing out broadsides about agendas, and it's genuinely unfair to assume that anyone who didn't care for a movie about minorities or geared to women, for example, is obviously prejudiced. Just like I think it's really kind of ugly actually to see attitudes like "lol white tears" towards Manchester by the Sea and do not even start me on the La La Land backlash (now "it's a white-savior story that ignores gay people" apparently). Studio movies could stand to catch up to TV with respect to diversity but throwing back an "ugh, straight white people" response to the movies that are out now isn't really going to help matters.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Silence was financed by several different companies and distributed by different studios so it's likely the production budget is already recouped. 

You're gonna have to explain that in more detail. It has earned less than $1 million at the box office and the budget was $50 million before marketing and awards campaign costs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Tintin added 2.32x the weekend to it's cume.

Same multi will give SIng 2.32*19.6 = 45.5 more for a ~259 dom total.

TS2 added 3.66x it's weekend more to it's cume.

Same multi will give Moana 3.66*6.41 = 23.5 more for a ~249 dom total.

I think the snowpocalypse deflated both weekends so I expect them to both have better respective multiplier going forward.  I wouldn't be surprised though if Moana beat Sing domestcally (and seems to be doing better WW though with the staggered releases it's hard to tell)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM makes an est. $1.92M weekend, down 53.1%, for $229.18M total through 8 weekends.

Is this going to catch Doctor Strange domestically? It started out under but gained ground and beat the crap out of Strange WW and OS. I have a feeling that Strange started out more promising than how it finished. It just petered out and nobody really talks about it anymore either.

31M OW in China is terrible for Rogue One. Star wars rejection is complete over there.

• Like 3

Just now, filmlover said:

If the PTAs for Patriots Day and Live by Night hold the way The Lovely Bones did 7 years ago when it went wide, that would mean a $25M 4-day wide launch for the former and a $10M 4-day wide launch for the latter. Lone Survivor was thrown out in the comparison since that was only in 2 theaters compared to Patriots Day's 7.

Live by Night is going to bomb hard. 

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

scorsese has always been seen as a guy whose movies cost too damn much. it's only when he paired up with leo that his hit rate got a little more consistent. lucky he's so goddamn revered i guess. was tough for him in the 80s. 

apparently half of silence's budget was spent on legal fees.

If he only spent $25m on the production it shows Martin can stretch a buck when he wants.   That's half of what The Nice Guys cost .

Still, even at that price the subject matter is a tough sell.  If ancillary especially Home Video were what it used to be though that wouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Live by Night is going to bomb hard. 

If the PTA drops the same percentage-wise as Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (another WB limited Christmas Day opener) did when it wide, that would mean a $5-6M opening at best. Doubt it goes that low, but we shall see. Patriots Day is the only opener of next weekend's holiday frame that doesn't feel like a January dump.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Is this going to catch Doctor Strange domestically? It started out under but gained ground and beat the crap out of Strange WW and OS. I have a feeling that Strange started out more promising than how it finished. It just petered out and nobody really talks about it anymore either.

31M OW in China is terrible for Rogue One. Star wars rejection is complete over there.

Different dates of release show a bit differing patterns

We will see...

Doctor StrangeFantasticBeasts andWhere to FindThemDaily Cumulative Domestic Box Office15304560
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

You're gonna have to explain that in more detail. It has earned less than $1 million at the box office and the budget was $50 million before marketing and awards campaign costs. 

Silence is financed by independent financiers and then sold to distributors so Paramount acquired it for x amount of money for domestic and various local distributors worldwide also acquire it for x amount of money which means the budget is already recouped so Paramount won't losing much money other than P&A, award campaign costs etc but that's a risk they took when they acquired it, same with Arrival. 

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

I think the snowpocalypse deflated both weekends so I expect them to both have better respective multiplier going forward.  I wouldn't be surprised though if Moana beat Sing domestcally (and seems to be doing better WW though with the staggered releases it's hard to tell)

Sing is doing good in some places but poorly in others similar to Moana, it still has UK, France, China and Russia left although in the case of UK and France, it'll face The Lego Batman Movie two weeks after so it's likely it won't hit the heights of SLOP, Minions etc in those territories but I expect it'll have a healthy run. I'm thinking $300m OS might be the final total but it wouldn't be surprising if it falls slightly short.

• Like 2