DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

Yeah @WrathOfHan let me go all the way to the review thread to watch people falling over themselves to praise a lousy boring pile of crap. Hmm no I think this forum doesn't ever make me go too far for that. I'm sure it's less than 5 minutes before I hear how much someone's LOVES Manchester By the Boredom or Craplight. What I meant is people with normal taste in movies - people who like movies where things happen - won't be into Silence.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Yeah @WrathOfHan let me go all the way to the review thread to watch people falling over themselves to praise a lousy boring pile of crap. Hmm no I think this forum doesn't ever make me go too far for that. I'm sure it's less than 5 minutes before I hear how much someone's LOVES Manchester By the Boredom or Craplight. What I meant is people with normal taste in movies - people who like movies where things happen - won't be into Silence.

Wow. So you're avowedly anti-intellectual? 

Must be a Trump supporter. 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm guessing the tragedy at the center of Patriots Day was way too recent to be dramatized on the big screen for most people.

It's also not enticing films buffs like myself because it looks like yet another treatise on heroism instead of a complex look at terrorism. I decided not to see it as soon as I saw that clip where the police interrogator tells the woman "you ain't got shit, sweetheart." Talk about simplistic good v evil bullshit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm guessing the tragedy at the center of Patriots Day was way too recent to be dramatized on the big screen for most people.

With all the "Fuck 2016" and general depression about the current political climate, I think people are jaded with stories about terrorism. It may be respectful, it may be well made, but I think everyone's just sick of it now.

• Like 4

Just now, tribefan695 said:

With all the "Fuck 2016" and general depression about the current political climate, I think people are jaded with stories about terrorism. It may be respectful, it may be well made, but I think everyone's just sick of it now.

I think the timing is the biggest issue. Even in our rapidly moving pop culture age, April 2013 wasn't that long ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Well in the case of Silence, Paramount did sorta screw-up it's awards campaign since screeners were sent so late, which can partly be blamed on how long it took to edit the film in post-production.

Scorsese didn't care about awards or box office this time around it seems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I think the timing is the biggest issue. Even in our rapidly moving pop culture age, April 2013 wasn't that long ago.

It's certainly one of the shortest turn-arounds I've seen. Shorter than Deepwater Horizon or the one-two punch of United 93 and World Trade Center. Hollywood doesn't seem to realize that time makes a big difference. Think the difference between all of those Iraq/terrorism flops five years after 9/11 and then Zero Dark Thirty/Lone Survivor/American Sniper all of which were released more than a decade later. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

It's certainly one of the shortest turn-arounds I've seen. Shorter than Deepwater Horizon or the one-two punch of United 93 and World Trade Center. Hollywood doesn't seem to realize that time makes a big difference. Think the difference between all of those Iraq/terrorism flops five years after 9/11 and then Zero Dark Thirty/Lone Survivor/American Sniper all of which were released more than a decade later. 

One of the things that really helped Patriots Day was having some of the survivors tell their stories at the end of the movie. It was very inspirational. Seeing stuff like that makes it feel like more than just cashing off a tragedy.