“The Shape of Water”

“Spider-Man Homecoming”

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi”

“Thor: Ragnarok”

“Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets”

“War for the Planet of the Apes”

“Wonder Woman”

31 minutes ago, AndyK said:

If best director is associated with best picture then there is no point in having a best director award.

But its not a best director award, its a best achievment in direction award and there is no director that has achieved more than Patty Jenkins in 2017.

The Academy Award for Best Director (officially known as the Academy Award for Best Directing) is an award presented annually by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS). It is given in honor of a film director who has exhibited outstanding directing while working in the film industry.

The rules when they are talking about achievement are saying:

http://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/90aa_rules.pdf

Academy Awards of Merit shall be given annually to honor outstanding artistic and scientific achievements in theatrically released feature-length motion pictures, and to honor other achievements as provided for in these rules and approved by the Board of Governors.

A think the achievement are mostly thought to be of artistic nature, not what with the press, society, business/box office/etc... I am not sure why we would say she achieved more than Rian Johnson, Nolan, Peele , Gerwig and many others even if we would take all those external to the movie achievement also. 

Shes just made Times shortlist for person of the year FFS, it appears everyone can acknowledge her achievments except the cretins in her own industry.

I think they are (her name and her movie is popping up in a lot of lists)

http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0000464/2017?ref_=nmawd_awd_9

Rumored to have got a big payday and a sequel (unlike a long list of people that broke the bank on a franchise entry and were replaced for the sequels):

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/patty-jenkins-wonder-woman-sequel-director-1202548413/

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

If best director is associated with best picture then there is no point in having a best director award.

But its not a best director award, its a best achievment in direction award and there is no director that has achieved more than Patty Jenkins in 2017.

Shes just made Times shortlist for person of the year FFS, it appears everyone can acknowledge her achievments except the cretins in her own industry.

She made a good superhero movie, people have been doing that every year. Nolan wasn't aclnowledged by the academy for his work in TDK, and he achieved a much better film which has had a huge impact. 

It seems you just want her to win because she is a woman and that's not what this should be about. Seriously if a man had directed Wonder Woman, no-one would be saying he deserves an Oscar nom for his work. 

• Like 1

Lots of very well-done potential nominees on that list VFX-wise.

My ten-film shortlist based on trailer footage (at the very least) would probably look like this:

Blade Runner 2049

Ghost in the Shell

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Okja

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

The Shape of Water

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Thor: Ragnarok

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

War for the Planet of the Apes

"Alright, you have some explanations to do with the snubbery you've committed with [insert film here]." -other people

To me, there's a certain threshold that films with subtle uses of VFX need to pass for it to be considered outstanding. To me, Okja and [the trailers of] The Shape of Water pass that threshold. To me, Dunkirk and Logan do not, no matter how popular they are. I personally value VFX quality over popularity- both films have quality VFX, but just way too little of it.

Wonder Woman is well done, but to me, it doesn't innovate. Same reason why Spider-Man: Homecoming missed my list.

When it comes to VFX, to me, half the battle is applying it creatively. To me, Beauty and the Beast and Justice League do not apply it creatively enough; many of the choices made VFX-wise aren't really necessary to me. Beauty and the Beast has its moments, and we can see the amount of work put into it, but I think some of the decisions feel lazy to me. Justice League has the money shot where the heroes are lined up horizontally- the one you might have seen in most TV spots- and sure, the heroes looked shiny, cool, illustrious, etc, I'll give it that, but the rest of the film needs to live up to that standard. I really don't like it when VFX films give people a soulless spectacle thinking it'll make up for the myriad of other flaws.

Kong: Skull Island and Alien: Covenant are very similar to me because they're both taking risks in regards to their franchise history. I don't really have a reason why they wouldn't make it; I think these two missed the cut simply because they missed the cut.

And I don't really know how to comment on Life and Jumanji. Life is very different from the others on the list. As for Jumanji, while it seems a little lightweight right now, I think I just know too little about its VFX.

Basically, the films that made my top ten list are there because they take strides to visible innovate somehow and someway- not to say that some of the others do not, but to say that the ones on my list do for sure.

Edited by slambros
  • Like 2

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

Ghost in the Shell

Kong: Skull Island

The Shape of Water

with the 5 noms being:

Blade Runner 2049

The Shape of Water

Edited by That One Guy

32 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Blade Runner 2049

Dunkirk

Ghost in the Shell

Kong: Skull Island

The Shape of Water

with the 5 noms being:

Blade Runner 2049

The Shape of Water

Was gonna do one of these but I'm on the same exact page as you :ohmygod: POTC could get in over Kong though

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Damn, Transformer5 didn't make the list; even AOE made the final ten :ohmygod: 

I think everyone stopped caring for the franchise after the fourth film was utter trash. The VFX all look the same now (actually I think they worsened in The Last Knight if you ask me).

11 hours ago, AndyK said:

what do you mean " there is no director that has achieved more than Jenkins in 2017 " ???

Am I missing something ? didn't she just make a good super hero movie ? I have not been keeping up with the news lately , what else has she achieved ?

53 minutes ago, BardCrank said:

what do you mean " there is no director that has achieved more than Jenkins in 2017 " ???

Am I missing something ? didn't she just make a good super hero movie ? I have not been keeping up with the news lately , what else has she achieved ?

Andy is just talking shit again. He does that alot.

As for the VFX award, it seems like Apes deserve it more than anything else this year.

Edited by Mrwick

5 hours ago, BardCrank said:

I was looking around at Barnes & Noble one day, and I overheard a little girl get excited when she saw a Wonder Woman. She happily exclaimed, "Wonder Woman!"

Now, as a potential filmmaker, impacting the life of a single person would be enough for me.

But Patty Jenkins affected more people than that. She instilled women of all ages around the world with a sense of confidence, and she inspired them to do good. There's a reason why Wonder Woman is becoming a household phrase extremely quickly.

In addition to that, Jenkins approached Wonder Woman correctly, uniquely, and beautifully, portraying her as a pure symbol of heroism. She's willing to walk across No Man's Land by herself- such a courageous act puts others above herself.

Wonder Woman certainly would not have been the same without Patty Jenkins. She's the type of director- no, the type of person- who chooses to fight for the inclusion of scenes like the No Man's Land scene.

You don't have to agree with me, but my final statement is this. The best directors don't just direct their films.

They also leave an impact.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slambros said:

I was looking around at Barnes & Noble one day, and I overheard a little girl get excited when she saw a Wonder Woman. She happily exclaimed, "Wonder Woman!"

Now, as a potential filmmaker, impacting the life of a single person would be enough for me.

But Patty Jenkins affected more people than that. She instilled women of all ages around the world with a sense of confidence, and she inspired them to do good. There's a reason why Wonder Woman is becoming a household phrase extremely quickly.

In addition to that, Jenkins approached Wonder Woman correctly, uniquely, and beautifully, portraying her as a pure symbol of heroism. She's willing to walk across No Man's Land by herself- such a courageous act puts others above herself.

Wonder Woman certainly would not have been the same without Patty Jenkins. She's the type of director- no, the type of person- who chooses to fight for the inclusion of scenes like the No Man's Land scene.

You don't have to agree with me, but my final statement is this. The best directors don't just direct their films.

They also leave an impact.

Fuck me ive heard boys and girls get excited about the avengers but no-one is saying they deserve an oscar. Oh and guess what, Wonder woman is a superHERO, you speak as if no other CBM has used their title characters as a symbol of heroism 😂, its the main point of a superhero, they all end up being a symbol of heroism 😂. Jesus christ.