Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

Just now, That One Guy said:

eh.  it's close enough and it falls under the category of genre movie released at the beginning of the year that got awards attention, so either way it proves my point.

With much bigger bonafides than Get Out and bigger nomination presence. Silence of the Lambs won the Big 5 and was nominated for Sound and Editing.

Realistically, Get Out is not gonna come close in nom count. BP is gonna happen, Original Screenplay probably, Director maybe, and a long long shot for DK in Actor.

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

With much bigger bonafides than Get Out and bigger nomination presence. Silence of the Lambs won the Big 5 and was nominated for Sound and Editing.

Realistically, Get Out is not gonna come close in nom count. BP is gonna happen, Original Screenplay probably, Director maybe, and a long long shot for DK in Actor.

I'm not predicting Get Out to win btw (I'm leaning toward Call Me by Your Name taking it right now), but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it does.  It's got a lot going for it.  If it doesn't win, it definitely won't be because it's a genre film.

8 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I'm not predicting Get Out to win btw (I'm leaning toward Call Me by Your Name taking it right now), but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it does.  It's got a lot going for it.  If it doesn't win, it definitely won't be because it's a genre film.

Call Me by Your Name isn't winning Best Picture. There's no narrative there, as acclaimed as it may be.

Still leaning towards Lady Bird being the winner. Given what's been happening, it feels like the right year to award a "women's picture."

• Like 1

It just dawned on me how there are several actors with multiple films in contention this year (though Chalamet and Stuhlbarg are the only ones likely to be singled out for individual recognition). Interesting.

Timothee Chalamet: Call Me by Your Name, Lady Bird

Lucas Hedges: Lady Bird, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

Caleb Landry Jones: The Florida Project, Get Out, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

Tracy Letts: Lady Bird, The Post

Michael Stuhlbarg: Call Me by Your Name, The Post, The Shape of Water

Bradley Whitford: Get Out, The Post

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

I could see Lady Bird winning the same way Spotlight and Moonlight did: by being a film with just enough #1 votes to put itself in the conversation and enough 2 and 3 spots to carry it through to a squeaker victory over a more divisive frontrunner.

• Like 1