Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

14 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

people use this thread to predict other categories too (presumably because it's the most frequented of all the Oscar topics)

It's one thing to post your comprehensive predictions in this thread. That's fine.

But devoting posts purely to a category irrelevant to the actual thread topic is just clutter

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BardCrank said:

Can Wonder be this year's the help ?

it certainly is the crowd pleaser of the season 

Nah. It needed to be a true $200M+ sensation ala Ghost/The Sixth Sense/The Blind Side to really get into the conversation. A lone Adapted Screenplay nomination is its best chance (and is gonna happen with how dead that category is).

• Like 1

I was pretty high on Wonder like a week or two ago, but Lionsgate is doing fuck all to campaign for it. Had it hit 150-160M, the box office alone would've been strong enough to push it, but now? Not so much. It's still getting into Screenplay though.

6 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

The fact that a movie should have to campaign to get recognition just shows how pointless and innacurate oscars are. Take a film for what it is, a campaign should make no difference to the quality of a film.

I can tell this is your first time at the Oscar rodeo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Mrwick said:

The fact that a movie should have to campaign to get recognition just shows how pointless and innacurate oscars are. Take a film for what it is, a campaign should make no difference to the quality of a film.

hate to disagree but campaign is what make oscar so special, it feels like more than a awards show but an annual festival, kind of film version of the superbowl....and i don't think oscar are largely inaccurate, their picks are quite consistent with how they perceive art, this is elitism of the visual/movie art, their picks show that view and style 

• Like 1

Right now I see it as Lady Bird, Call Me By Your Name and Get Out being the frontrunners, while Three Billboards, The Florida Project and The Shape of Water are darkhorses.

It's still pretty early though.  But I do think The Post's reviews take it out of contention for the win, it should still get a nom though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Post is getting pretty good reviews so far but it definitely isn't an undeniable contender. I feel like everything's starting to fall into place for Lady Bird winning tbh.

Being divisive (at least appears that way on RT so far) probably means it's not winning BP considering the way preferential ballot works, its current MTC score is too low anyway.

Also, it's been a rollarcoaster for the past few days, at first I thought chances for TSOW and 3 Billboards were dying, but they seem to be making a nice comeback.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Being divisive (at least appears that way on RT so far) probably means it's not winning BP considering the way preferential ballot works, its current MTC score is too low anyway.

Also, it's been a rollarcoaster for the past few days, at first I thought chances for TSOW and 3 Billboards were dying, but they seem to be making a nice comeback.

tenor.gif?itemid=4830492

No frontrunner is now in play as the final oscar BP list is pretty much "finalized", and I expect there will be no surprise contender in the last min......

• Like 1