kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Auteur theory is a myth propagated by egotistical directors (which are most directos). Every film has multiple people working together as a team and really is more a team effort than something that was all done by the director. 

and people have to understand that sometimes, the team cant work , and there is nothing wrong with that

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Auteur theory is a myth propagated by egotistical directors (which are most directos). Every film has multiple people working together as a team and really is more a team effort than something that was all done by the director. 

Actually, the theory got started in the 1950's by French Film critics rather then directors, but agree they made a huge mistake when they applied the idea of a work of art having a sole creator..something generally applicable to a writer or painter or sculpture to film, which is and always has been much more a colobrative effort then other art forms.

My biggest problem is that the director as auteur downgrades the role of the screenwriter, who is the guy who often comes up with the basic idea of a film in the first place.

The great screenwriter William Goldman once said he got angry when critics pointed to things in the films he wrote as "director;s touches" when they were things he wrote in the screenplay before a director had even been assigned to the project. And lot of other screenwriters have also had that happen to them. 

• Like 6

i dont want to start a fanboy war but i dont really understand why some people think  that scott leaving doc strange 2 is a disaster and evil marvel studios blah blah,  the flash movie has lost 4 directors till now ,these things happen ,

Edited by john2000

18 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i dont want to start a fanboy war but i dont really understand why some people think  that scott leaving doc strange 2 is a disaster and evil marvel studios blah blah,  the flash movie has lost 4 directors till now ,these things happen ,

Particulary given that the first film, though not terrible, did not come close to potential a Dr Strange films has.

And I though the whole Rachael McAdams subplot was a waste of time that could have been much better used It was just plain boring. Problem was not with McAdams, but with the writing.

And when you are successful as Feige has been, lots of people are going to be out gunning for you ,wanting to knock you off you pedestal.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Think of it in this positive way, in the reddit/forum bubble Doctor Strange 1 went from a standard average movie with an Iron Man-esque origin story to this very good movie overnight. Just so people could bash MCU for losing a great director, the same guy people criticized before the news came for making a formulaic movie. 

I had great fun reading all the reddit comments yesterday lamenting the loss of this auteur. At least DS1 now is being seeing in a much more positive light in the internet bubble. :rofl:

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Think of it in this positive way, in the reddit/forum bubble Doctor Strange 1 went from a standard average movie with an Iron Man-esque origin story to this very good movie overnight. Just so people could bash MCU for losing a great director, the same guy people criticized before the news came for making a formulaic movie. 

I had great fun reading all the reddit comments yesterday lamenting the loss of this auteur. At least DS1 now is being seeing in a much more positive light in the internet bubble. :rofl:

I suspect that when both Taikiki and the Russos came up with a much more compelling Dr Strange then  Dericksson did, Feige begun having second thoughts about bringing him back

I think run of the mill is a good description of Dr Strange. It was not so much it was bad but that it was along way from the full potential of a Dr Strange movie.

Thouhh I have images of Fiege saying to Derrickson "I have come to bargain"...

• Like 1

Just now, dudalb said:

I suspect that when both Taikiki and the Russos came up with a much more compelling Dr Strange then  Dericksson did, Feige begun having second thoughts about bringing him back

I think run of the mill is a good description of Dr Strange. It was not so much it was bad but that it was along way from the full potential of a Dr Strange movie.

Thouhh I have images of Fiege saying to Derrickson "I have come to bargain"...

I don't want to engage in wild speculations like most on the internet are doing regarding this, saying it was due to differences in vision and script, when there is no evidence about it. I think it is far more likely that Marvel is not budging on the release date whereas Scott wants more time and flexibility. His tweets in the past is an indication about it imo. 

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Went to the official Doctor Strange discussion thread that was posted when the movie released and the top comments on there seem pretty positive to me.

doctor strange maybe be bad movie for some but the audience liked it very much, no doubt about it , it has great ratings too, 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Went to the official Doctor Strange discussion thread that was posted when the movie released and the top comments on there seem pretty positive to me.

Maybe, but it did not hold up.

Early reactions are almost always from those who are predisposed to like a film.

Fact is Dr Strange was one one of the less well received MCU films. Can't get around that.

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I don't want to engage in wild speculations like most on the internet are doing regarding this, saying it was due to differences in vision and script, when there is no evidence about it. I think it is far more likely that Marvel is not budging on the release date whereas Scott wants more time and flexibility. His tweets in the past is an indication about it imo. 

Sorry,I was not that impressed with the job Derreckson did on Dr.Strange. As stated he did not do a bad job, but it was nowhere near as good as it should have been.

I also have not been that impressed with his previous films . Just not a fan, I guess.

• Like 1

regardless of what some people think of the first doc strange movie , the audience clearly like it  it has good rating from both audiences and critics alike , thats a fact , now as for the sequel, people are overreacting, scott isnt the only one that can make a good movie

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Scott has had 5 years to develop this sequel. Not sure why Disney would be inclined to give him more time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Early reactions are almost always from those who are predisposed to like a film.

Fact is Dr Strange was one one of the less well received MCU films. Can't get around that.

Eh, the movie was pretty well received. It wasn't one of the absolutely beloved Marvel films but the reception was in the same territory as FFH or Homecoming (though I find both of those to be way better than DS).

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think people were happier with it before phase 3 caught fire in 2017-2019. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

well to be honest that happens with most of movies, be it marvel or dc, or any other franchise or popular movie, the reception is always better close to  ,release this isnt something new, or something that happened with doc strange only

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Eh, the movie was pretty well received. It wasn't one of the absolutely beloved Marvel films but the reception was in the same territory as FFH or Homecoming (though I find both of those to be way better than DS).

exactly 

I think (and this is totally anecdotal I admit) that DS's reception seems worse online than it actually is because the movie doesn't have that big a group who absolutely love it and it's one of their favorite MCU films in the same way the MCU Spidey films or GOTG2 do. But the majority of people liked it just fine and it doesn't have as many intense haters as those films either.

23 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

With all these overnight fans of auteur film makings that Derrickson gathered, maybe we’ll be lucky enough to get to see the exclusive #releasethederricksonscut movement. Will be a first for MCU.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5