Jake Gittes

Phantom Thread | P.T. Anderson '50s Fashion Drama | Daniel Day-Lewis IS Reynolds Woodcock | Christmas 2017

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

God I wish Focus would move away from their focus (heh) on Darkest Hour, and give this all their attention this awards season.

I think they will tbh. Darkest Hour has been performing very similar to The Danish Girl so far and will probably finish with the same total ($11M) unless it really starts to gain steam in the weeks ahead. Phantom Thread won't be a big hit but I do think it's gonna make more than The Master (it's less weird/more accessible at least).

From THR review:

Quite apart from Krieps' wonderfully subtle performance, it was very shrewd of Anderson to cast a little-known actress with no associative baggage and who's pretty but perhaps not conventionally so; at times reminiscent of Meryl Streep as well as Julianne Moore

tenor.gif?itemid=4905925

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

This will get a high per theater average when it opens limited, then flop hard in wider release.  Bad cinemascore too.  PTA officially the most overrated living director.  

Chances are this doesn't go wide until Oscar nominations are out. Sucks 4 u!

I'm definitely still rooting for this film to succeed. Just because the industry and the Academy are both changing really doesn't mean films like Phantom Thread, with its subject matter, themes, time period, and setting, should seize to be made. Just by the trailer, I'm really itching to see this.

1 hour ago, ReyReyBattery said:

This better come to my theater. This sells me on the film so much. 

4 minutes ago, slambros said:

I'm definitely still rooting for this film to succeed. Just because the industry and the Academy are both changing really doesn't mean films like Phantom Thread, with its subject matter, themes, time period, and setting, should seize to be made. Just by the trailer, I'm really itching to see this.

I think The Phantom Thread could do quite well in the awards season. Not just best actor, but a good push could give it the 9th best picture slot. The reviews are there. 

• Like 1