CaptainJackSparrow

AD Astra | Sep 20 2019 | Sci Fi | Best movie of the year with a B- cinemascore? | Brad Pitt

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

Ad Astra is going to Cannes.

Yes, this is a reasonable conclusion to leap to based off of this single tweet from an unverified account.

Even if it's not releasing in May anymore -- they wouldn't do that for a film debuting at Cannes, I don't think -- a Cannes debut is a sign of great confidence in this film project. Can't wait to have more information.

9 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Even if it's not releasing in May anymore -- they wouldn't do that for a film debuting at Cannes, I don't think -- a Cannes debut is a sign of great confidence in this film project. Can't wait to have more information.

James Gray is adored in France so that might help too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alli said:

that's impossible. i wonder where they'll move it tho. fall is kinda crowded

This was orginaly supposed to get a limited release in late December last year,open wide in January. At the time this was dropped I though it was because Fox did not want to release another Sci FI epic so close to "Alita" (Ad Astra was moved from the December date before Alita was)  and it's stupid to compete with yourself, but know I have to think it might be something of a problem film.

Edited by dudalb

Late August would work though it'd miss out on the fall festivals. The Thanksgiving weekend is relatively light, though this and Knives Out would be going for much of the same audience. Otherwise, what the hell, Christmas limited/January wide. Might as well.

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Late August would work though it'd miss out on the fall festivals. The Thanksgiving weekend is relatively light, though this and Knives Out would be going for much of the same audience. Otherwise, what the hell, Christmas limited/January wide. Might as well.

September seems kind of light outside of IT 2. Maybe there?

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

September 13 and 27 and October 4 all have Fox movies scheduled, something would have to move. 

I guess Spies in Disguise could stay where it is since it's already being promoted and The Woman in the Window will definitely stay where it is since that's where Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train opened (plus it's perfect counterprogramming to Joker). Maybe the 20th and The Art of Racing in the Rain can move to the last weekend of October which currently has a comedy from UA Releasing and an untitled horror movie from struggling Aviron as its only releases.

1 minute ago, Alli said:

It's kind of shitty of Fox/Disney to not announce in time Ad Astra is not making the date. Its place could have been taken by another movie

There are already two other movies set for Memorial Day weekend aside from Aladdin (Booksmart and Brightburn, neither of which are likely to make much of a dent at the box office but still).

str

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

September seems kind of light outside of IT 2. Maybe there?

Depends on whether Disney thinks it has a award contender or not. If it does, then a later release date would be better.

But not December. Same problem Fox had last year: Opening two expensive sci films against each other. Yes, I know Ad Astra and SW:Rise of Skywalker are two totally different types of Sci Fi, but the don't compete against yourself rule still applies.

Oh, SW would not be hurt in the least but Ad Astra could be severaly damaged at the box office going up against SW.

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There are already two other movies set for Memorial Day weekend aside from Aladdin (Booksmart and Brightburn, neither of which are likely to make much of a dent at the box office but still).

Yeah most weekends are overcrowded as it is. Ad Astra moving would be sweet relief. 

Yeah, I don't really know where would be a good spot to put AD Astra. It really depends on the quality I guess, or when it's even going to be ready to go. If Disney has low expectations for it and it's ready in time, may as well just drop it on Labor Day weekend, which currently has no wide releases slated.