efialtes76

Thursday Midnights:STRONG MIDNIGHTS: ‘Star Wars 3D: Phantom Menace’ $1.1M; ‘The Vow $700K; ‘Safe Hou

Think it can crack 100m? if it hits 30m+ ow? You guys are on crack. 100m is done, 30m is done and 40m is done. Right now it's shooting for 50m ow and it will challenge valentines days opening. You have no idea how freaking huge this is going to be. When have you ever seen any romantic film get midnights? This is going to be a monster and I'm pretty sure it'll come near 150m if not pass it.

Mattrek you've made the mistake of overestimating a films potential before, so let's not jump the gun on these 150m predicts until we at least get a Friday number. Edited by blackspider

I think he took too many red bulls or something, I mean its 1.1M midnights calm down

Actually, it is 0.7M midnights. He is talking about The Vow. Edited by CJohn

Lucas would have a special hate for the fans to take his Star Wars film rights to the grave.

why is that? while the expanded universe is cool, reboots and remakes to some franchises should not happen, the prequels were ok overall compared to the first threejust leave it as it is Edited by GiantCALBears

This is Hollywood's problem, a movie does well and we immediately say sequel and/or remake later... originality has become so down the priority list of not just the studios but us the consumers as well. Its laziness, and its sad with the technology and resources out there how much is squandered.Leave SW as it is, after TH comes out leave LOTR and HP as they are. We need SOME purity in the business, or at least that's how I view it.

Those of you saying Episode 7 are hilarious, made my dayWill NEVER EVER EVER EVER happen, unless someone somehow acquires the rights after Lucas dies but I think that's impossible

Episode 7 will never happen because Hamill/Ford/Fisher are all too old and re-casting the roles would create an uproar like never seen before.If Star Wars films are ever made again, they'll be films that'll have no relation to the PT/OT (meaning going hundreds of years or more into the past or future). The issue is that there's an asteroid belt's worth of EU material out there and any film would either have to conform to it or retcon it.

I may remember wrong, but isn't that midnight number for "Star Wars" pretty much in the range of "Scream 4"?Just sayin', it may very well follow that movies performance over the weekend.I'm actually most impressed with the numbers of "Safe House". "The Vow" isn't that surprising anymore, as everything pointed to a very big opening.

Actually it should do well next weekend since Valentines Day is next week and it's President's Day weekend. But after that, it will probably collapse.

Valentines Day is next Tuesday. After that day the movie will collapse.

What are we looking at for TPM? $50m total? Considering Super Bowl ads and ads EVERYWHERE else, and considering this doesn't set the stage for a new BD release like the Disney re-releases have done....is $50m really good? Isn't that going to be a net loss?

We have no idea what it will do. Where did this 50m number come from that you're standing by? We don't even have Friday numbers yet. People need to cool their jets and wait for the numbers before jumping to conclusions about this and The Vow. Edited by blackspider

Think it can crack 100m? if it hits 30m+ ow? You guys are on crack. 100m is done, 30m is done and 40m is done. Right now it's shooting for 50m ow and it will challenge valentines days opening. You have no idea how freaking huge this is going to be. When have you ever seen any romantic film get midnights? This is going to be a monster and I'm pretty sure it'll come near 150m if not pass it.

Well that's what I meant--- it can go for $100m and beyond. I don't know about $50m OW at this point but I'm definitely expecting at least $40m now.

Episode 7 will never happen because Hamill/Ford/Fisher are all too old and re-casting the roles would create an uproar like never seen before.If Star Wars films are ever made again, they'll be films that'll have no relation to the PT/OT (meaning going hundreds of years or more into the past or future). The issue is that there's an asteroid belt's worth of EU material out there and any film would either have to conform to it or retcon it.

Pretty much that is the only possibility. Star Wars is still very popular as evident by the Old Republic sales and subscription numbers. And yeah it will have to be in the future or past. If they happened I rather go in the past that way they can avoid the PT and OT altogether.

Valentines Day is next Tuesday. After that day the movie will collapse.

Yeah, there will be a bit of an opening rush. That said, there's zero competition out there besides This Means War. I'd be surprised if it doesn't do fairly well next holiday weekend.