aabattery

Widows | 16th Nov, 2018 | Steve McQueen directs, Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debicki, Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Erivo to star as the widows | #FeaturesFarrell

3 minutes ago, Jessie said:

this is getting terrible WOM on social media, apparently it's too slow and doesn't compare to the original TV series. I didn't realise it had been release nor based on existing material

Instant Family, on the other hand,  will have excellent wom. It's the feel good movie of the holidays

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jessie said:

this is getting terrible WOM on social media, apparently it's too slow and doesn't compare to the original TV series. I didn't realise it had been release nor based on existing material

Huh? It has a score of 89 on metacritic and 94 on rotten tomatoes and is getting a lot of Oscar buzz. Who gives a shit about social media.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mldardy said:

Huh? It has a score of 89 on metacritic and 94 on rotten tomatoes and is getting a lot of Oscar buzz. Who gives a shit about social media.

this is a boxoffice forum so people are trying to predict boxoffice, and WOM is a better indicator than critics. so since critics say it's a crowd pleaser while social media and IMDB so far say it's too long and boring, one has to take both in consideration when making predictions. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

this is a boxoffice forum so people are trying to predict boxoffice, and WOM is a better indicator than critics. so since critics say it's a crowd pleaser while social media and IMDB so far say it's too long and boring, one has to take both in consideration when making predictions. 

Yeah I know it's a boxoffice forum, that's not hard to figure out. WOM is pretty good for this movie and just be exclusive to some people on social media does a disservice to WOM. This is not a blockbuster type movie so I'm not sure what kind of box office you see this movie making. This is not a movie that's going to open to $50 million opening weekend. I'll take the word of the reviews over what some people say on social media any day as a barometer of how well a movie is doing.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mldardy said:

Well WOM is the most powerful form of advertising so I'd say quite a few would care 

6 minutes ago, mldardy said:

WOM is not the most powerful form of advertising.

People have computers, cell phones, TV, radios. Those are more powerful than WOM.

yes and social media and forums are accessed by computers and cell phones so they get in touch with WOM. On RT, Audience Score is WOM. On IMDB, User Ratings and Reviews are WOM. 

The point that @Jessie is making and I agree with is that WOM >>>> critical acclaim as you can see in cases of TLJ (critical circle jerk but bad legs due to mixed WOM) and Venom/BR (critical trashing/mehness was ignored and the movies are beasts because audience loves them and spreads the word). IMO, it's too early to tell which way Widows will go but just for the record, a friend txt'd me yesterday with "don't see Widows, too LOOOONG and boring, nobody to root for". I didn't bring it up cause I thought he was the only one but now that people point out at least an early discrepancy between critical/festival gushing and social media/IMDB negativity, I'm posting this anecdote. We'll see. Like all movies, it has pros and cons and, IMO, bigger con is too many adult skewing movies surrounding it that already have a built-in audience (BR, FB, Creed 2) or will keep chugging along due to major awards push (ASIB).  

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes and social media and forums are accessed by computers and cell phones so they get in touch with WOM. On RT, Audience Score is WOM. On IMDB, User Ratings and Reviews are WOM. 

The point that @Jessie is making and I agree with is that WOM >>>> critical acclaim as you can see in cases of TLJ (critical circle jerk but bad legs due to mixed WOM) and Venom/BR (critical trashing/mehness was ignored and the movies are beasts because audience loves them and spreads the word). IMO, it's too early to tell which way Widows will go but just for the record, a friend txt'd me yesterday with "don't see Widows, too LOOOONG and boring, nobody to root for". I didn't bring it up cause I thought he was the only one but now that people point out at least an early discrepancy between critical/festival gushing and social media/IMDB negativity, I'm posting this anecdote. We'll see. Like all movies, it has pros and cons and, IMO, bigger con is too many adult skewing movies surrounding it that already have a built-in audience (BR, FB, Creed 2) or will keep chugging along due to major awards push (ASIB).  

There's no scientific proof that a person goes by what another moviegoer says off of the internet. Joe schmoe on twitter say something about a movie is not going to get people to go see a movie.  So what? For every person that says 'don't see Widows, too LOOOONG and boring, nobody to root for"' there's another five that says 'widows is a masterpiece, great cast go see it'. Neither one of those is going to influence someone to go or not go to see a movie.

I see a lot more people quoting rotten tomatoes, for example, in a basis of whether they go see a movie or not or by seeing a trailer in a movie theater or on TV or on youtube or a review on youtube. That's what gets butts in seats. Not WOM the way you are describing it.

Edited by mldardy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, mldardy said:

There's no scientific proof that a person goes by what another moviegoer says off of the internet. Joe schmoe on twitter say something about a movie is not going to get people to go see a movie.

For the people that know them, it is not Joe Schmoe.....

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313860511_Spread_the_Word_-_The_Effect_of_Word_of_Mouth_in_E-Marketing

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270216495_Word_of_mouth_on_social_media

There is a reason Facebook made 40 billions in revenues last year, it is a powerful tool to sales ideas to people because it in part use the old very powerful WOM mechanism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

For the people that know them, it is not Joe Schmoe.....

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313860511_Spread_the_Word_-_The_Effect_of_Word_of_Mouth_in_E-Marketing

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270216495_Word_of_mouth_on_social_media

There is a reason Facebook made 40 billions in revenues last year, it is a powerful tool to sales ideas to people because it in part use the old very powerful WOM mechanism.

This tells me absolutely nothing.  Facebook does not dictate who goes to see what movie. This is just as delusional as the people that are on Facebook. You aren't going to convince me that WOM, facebook, twitter are the reasons people go see a movie. I don't hear or see people on a daily basis determining this based off of Facebook.

• Haha 1

Just now, mldardy said:

This tells me absolutely nothing.  Facebook does not dictate who goes to see what movie. This is just as delusional as the people that are on Facebook. You aren't going to convince me that WOM, facebook, twitter are the reasons people go see a movie. I don't hear or see people on a daily basis determining this based off of Facebook.

You do not think that co-worker, friend, family, students, that speak about the movies they saw to people they know influence their choice ?

Not so long ago we had (illegal but not controlled) marketing firm than hired unknown actor to talk about their product all days long in very crowded place like an inventor in a building or the metro, because of powerful it is, imagine when it come from people you know.

Have you never seen a movie because someone you known talked about it to you ? Or people on a movie message board/your facebook ? I have you never talked about a movie to people in real life or electronically and they went to see a movie in part because of your feedback ?

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You do not think that co-worker, friend, family, students, that speak about the movies they saw to people they know influence their choice ?

Not so long ago we had (illegal but not controlled) marketing firm than hired unknown actor to talk about their product all days long in very crowded place like an inventor in a building or the metro, because of powerful it is, imagine when it come from people you know.

Have you never seen a movie because someone you known talked about it to you ? Or people on a movie message board/your facebook ? I have you never talked about a movie to people in real life or electronically and they went to see a movie in part because of your feedback ?

Internet, TV, podcasts, reviews are more of an influence than  co-worker, friend, family, students. That's just how I see. No matter how hard you try you aren't going to change my opinion on this so let's move on. I said what I said and it's not going to change.

7 minutes ago, mldardy said:

Internet, TV, podcasts, reviews are more of an influence than  co-worker, friend, family, students. That's just how I see. No matter how hard you try you aren't going to change my opinion on this so let's move on. I said what I said and it's not going to change.

lmao PODCASTS

• Like 3
  • Haha 3