aabattery

Widows | 16th Nov, 2018 | Steve McQueen directs, Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debicki, Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Erivo to star as the widows | #FeaturesFarrell

The things that I am hearing about Widows from people who have seen it are intriguing. Some people like it while other people feel a bit differently. No one seems to love it or hate it, though. It is not action-packed at all, which probably helps it with how award voters will view it, so if you are expecting another Set It Off, then the movie is not for you. It apparently has multiple storylines and deals with a lot of the local politics in Chicago. The comparisons that I am hearing are Syriana and Traffic. Everyone says that the acting, especially Daniel Kaluuya and Viola Davis, is great. It appears to be an easy SAG Ensemble winner, which means that it is probably going to receive a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars because of the actors branch, but I am not too sure about it being a Best Picture winner, though.                                                                                   

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 2

That's exciting that the reviews are good. Having a film like this in the Best Picture slate would certainly help diversify the Best Picture selection - I'm always down for different types of movies in the same selection. Hopefully this is able to do well when the release rolls around.

Edited by Slambros

45 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The summer blockbuster hangover is getting pretty hilarious.

Any competently made movie that is not what bores them becomes great/fantastic.

Alternatively, you could ascribe ridiculous imaginary motivations to strangers about a film you haven't seen.

• Haha 1