CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

Still can't believe what happened. That ending to the Academy Awards will never be topped for the sheer craziness of it. 

I am overjoyed Moonlight won, but I feel really bad for the La La Land team for having to deal with that shit show. 

Also, sucks for Moonlight that they didn't get to truly enjoy their win. 

• Like 5

Just now, franfar said:

Absolutely brutal. 

Most movies would kill for the success of LLL. The producer handled it better than most people would, which made me gain a lot of respect and sympathy. I think I may watch the movie sometime.

True, they not only have critical acclaim and a boatload of awards but they'll still benefit from the boost financially since it's still playing and I imagine it'll do a ell on home entertainment, VOD and TV airings so Lionsgate will benefit for years to come 

Just now, boomboom234 said:

I tried then I stopped I got bored, I didn't love La La land either btw I don't really like musical but this  is just something that doesn't happen. A movie that no one saw in the GA, it' is the second lowest grosser ever, wins best picture over the other movie that won every other award following a year where the Oscar were attacked for lacking diversity and  all the other political stuff occurred. It is a political statement regardless of its merit and that to me is a bridge to far

Lol, okay.  I'm sure a large collective group of voters who don't know each other all got together in a room and decided to make a political statement by having Moonlight win BP.

Movie's that make squat at the box office win over box office hits nearly every year.  Spotlight beat out Revenant, 12 Years a Slave beat out Gravity, etc.

Moonlight was highly acclaimed, consistently won Critics Circle awards, and it came out before the election (so the reception wasn't just a denial of the President-Elect at the time), and had won quite a bit preceding this.  Sure, La La Land was the frontrunner, but it's not the first BP upset in Oscar history.  Crash beat out Brokeback Mountain is one that comes to mind that is similar to this.  The frontrunner doesn't always win, and it's not a political statement just because it loses.

Moonlight is a politically relevant film, but that doesn't mean it won solely for political reasons.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think La La Land, Moonlight, Arrival, Hidden Figures, and Hacksaw Ridge will continue to be talked about for years.  The rest will probably fade away.

I don't think any of them will be particularly remembered. Hidden Figures especially, what?

When was the last time a musical even had that much critical and commerical success? Chicago? And before that? 

You have to go back to the studio system, when musicals were more common and were nominated for Oscars ad nauseum 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

It won precisely because it was black and gay, it was literally oscar bait the movie 

So was La La Land, yet another example of Hollywood's self-love. All of the nominees were perfect Oscar bait, that's why they were made and nominated. 

Just now, Jayhawk said:

Feel bad for both movies honestly. LLL was put in a super-embarrassing situation, and Moonlight didn't get its deserved moment in the spotlight. The two will forever be linked now because of this.

Yeah, that's the worst part about all of this. Both La La Land and Moonlight are excellent films that would've made for worthy Best Picture winners in many years and now their legacies are likely to be forever defined by this mess.

• Like 6