franfar

The Post | Ensemble Cast with Tom Hanks & Meryl Streep | Spielberg | Pentagon Papers Film....Dec 22 2017 | Trailer on p.11

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I assume the first trailer won't be until August or September. Maybe they'll attach it to Kingsman: The Golden Circle 

Eh, I don't see much audience overlap. New Mutants and Maze Runner trailers will probably be attached.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, I don't see much audience overlap. New Mutants and Maze Runner trailers will probably be attached.

It's the only Fox film I could think of that they could attach it with. I could see being attached to Detroit if it can debut in August or maybe Battle of the Sexes which is a Fox Searchlight film

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Spielberg used to be the King of Hollywood, now he s Mr Wikipedia page for the dumb.

How the mighty has fallen.

:(

He has Ready Player One in 2018, I think that'll be his biggest hit since KOTS

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's the only Fox film I could think of that they could attach it with. I could see being attached to Detroit if it can debut in August or maybe Battle of the Sexes which is a Fox Searchlight film

They can attach it to Murder on the Orient Express

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nope, it just got moved to November 10.

I just realised I read the date wrong, I thought The Post was debuting in November and not December, attaching to Murder on the Orient Express might work although a little tight for time but it'll either that or Battle of the Sexes.

21 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Spielberg used to be the King of Hollywood, now he s Mr Wikipedia page for the dumb.

His movies are still good, even if they're not blockbusters. He can make whatever he wants to make and I'll watch it.  

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Irony is his recent foray into "blockbuster" territory was his lowest-grossing film in over a decade

The BFG was let down by having Disney distribute it, in the UK it was a huge success but that was mostly down to it being based on a British novel and a well loved author 

Eh Spielberg has always been on one side or the other - either big hits or run of the mill grosses. His track record is good at 50/50 (15 of 30 films have reached the 100m mark) but his average gross is inflated by his 6 Franchise films. When he hits big outside of that we are only talking about 170m since Private Ryan nearly 20 years ago.

And BFG was screwed by Disney and Spielberg's release date demands. It should never have been a July/Summer release and even then looking back at best I think Tin-Tin was where it would have aimed for.

This will probably get near his recent non-blockbuster range of about 70-75m.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The audience breakdown for this is gonna be at least 90% over 50. Heck, maybe even over 60.

What ever Bridge of Spies was it should duplicate, unless they can cut some interesting trailers to draw a younger crowd. It's a shame cause I am sure the film will be good. It doesn't sound like a film that needs a limited holiday release though - seems like it would leave a lot of $ on the table, but then I thought the same of Revenant.

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

What ever Bridge of Spies was it should duplicate, unless they can cut some interesting trailers to draw a younger crowd. It's a shame cause I am sure the film will be good. It doesn't sound like a film that needs a limited holiday release though - seems like it would leave a lot of $ on the table, but then I thought the same of Revenant.

It'll be going wide around the time of the Golden Globes ceremony plus the announcement of the Oscar noms.

Lincoln and Bridge of Spies were both far better than it seemed they would be, yet I'm still finding it hard to muster up excitement for this. Just sounds so predictable even if Spielberg is as technically proficient and strong with actors as he's ever been. 

Hopefully it'll be another pleasant surprise.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Thats absolutely ridiculous. Hes not King Blockbuster anymore but in case you haven't noticed he's not exactly rushing out to direct those types of films anymore. Every film he seems to direct now is smaller in scale more quiet and perhaps more personal. The guy already has more money than God so he doesn't need to make films that are going to pay him a massive amount of money or apeal to 17 year old boys and more.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

Thats absolutely ridiculous. Hes not King Blockbuster anymore but in case you haven't noticed he's not exactly rushing out to direct those types of films anymore. Every film he seems to direct now is smaller in scale more quiet and perhaps more personal. The guy already has more money than God so he doesn't need to make films that are going to pay him a massive amount of money or apeal to 17 year old boys and more.

And anyone that is big in scale such as The BFG, Ready Player One and Indiana Jones is because he wants to do it. 

• Like 2