DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

25 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I doubt I'll ever watch Kong, but the last-minute change in the tone of the marketing seems to have paid off. For the amount of money these movies cost I'm not sure they're making quite as much as WB would like, but dammit, they're going to get another shared universe going because that's what everything has to be now!

Last DCU movie I saw was MOS(2013) and the last MCU movie I saw was GOTG(2014).  Not trying to be edgy or "too cool for that shit" but I'm just done with CBMs in general unless that rare gem like Logan or Mr. Pool comes along.  They're just all the exact same movie now.

Now for cinematic universes and everything being connected now... yeah, its getting out of hand, its almost like movies are becoming giant TV shows instead of actually movies.  But Godzilla and Kong vs. King Ghidorah?  Lol sorry, sign me the fuck up brah. :bouncy:

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Last DCU movie I saw was MOS(2013) and the last MCU movie I saw was GOTG(2014).  Not trying to be edgy are "too cool for that shit" but I'm just done with CBMs in general unless that rare gem like Logan or Mr. Pool comes along.  They're just all the exact same movie now.

Now for cinematic universes and everything being connected now... yeah, its getting out of hand, its almost like movies are becoming giant TV shows instead of actually movies.  But Godzilla and Kong vs. King Ghidorah?  Lol sorry, sign me the fuck up brah. :bouncy:

You know, say what you will about DCU's quality(and oh boy people do love saying their bit about that) but I kinda view their movies as being quite different from each other.

I'm not sure what MOS and Suicide Squad, as movies, really have in common...

With that said, Kong(which I sadly can't see yet but really want to) does look like a completely different monster movie from Godzilla, so kudos to the studios for giving them both wildly different personalities, at least from what I heard of Kong anyway.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2017 at 1:37 PM, Mulder said:

There's a possibility that Power Rangers could surprise but Ghost in The Shell is a definite bomb. They made all the wrong decisions with how to do it and the core fanbase is alienated which would've been the driving force for this kind of movie tbh.

I knew that there was a possibility that the GITS might suck when I saw that Steven Paul was one of the main producers. The same man who produced and was involved with the creation of the baby geniuses films is going to produce a GITS film. Yeah, that probably won't end so well.

The excuse I tend to make for comic book movies and their cinematic universes is that they're almost a different medium from movies. They are movies, of course, but I view the Marvel Cinematic Universe, specifically, as an entirely different experience. They're basically comic book chapters or issues on screen.

It's getting to a point where these movies should be judged differently. They're formulaic BY DESIGN because that's the point of this whole enterprise. And you know what? I love it! Maybe it makes me a Marvel sucker but I genuinely look forward to going to the next Marvel movie the same way I would look forward to the next issue of a comic series, or the next episode of my favourite TV series.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I knew that there was a possibility that the GITS might suck when I saw that Steven Paul was one of the main producers. The same man who produced and was involved with the creation of the baby geniuses films is going to produce a GITS film. Yeah, that probably won't end so well.

Who they cast as Batou was my red flag.

I'm still hoping for the best, though.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2017 at 2:35 PM, Mulder said:

This. Ghost in The Shell wasn't a generic revenge plot movie. Tbh the kind of thing Ghost in The Shell was, was entirely wrong for American general audiences. It's a cerebral and philosophical story that happens to have action in it. None of that is really what American audiences enjoy.

None of that is what a global audience wants either. Maybe a cerebral sci-fi film can often be a hard sell, so GITS being watered done to be more of a straight up action film would not surprise me disapointingly. 

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Eh, give Brie Larson a break. The character is paper thin (in the movie version, at least) and she's just trying to do what any decent actor does: breathe life into a fictional person however you can (up to and including what inspires you in your own life).

56 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So she was Redmayning?

Not really. She was pretty much doing what the rest of the film was: setting itself contextually in the era (end of the Vietnam war) and doing that honestly while still embracing that it's a film about a giant ape. Just because it is a ridiculous situation doesn't mean that it can't be an honest portrayal of the role the photojournalist played at the time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Who they cast as Batou was my red flag.

I'm still hoping for the best, though.

I'm expecting another watered down generic action film, but hopefully, I wind up being pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

None of that is what a global audience wants either. Maybe a cerebral sci-fi film can often be a hard sell, so GITS being watered done to be more of a straight up action film would not surprise me disapointingly. 

Pretty much. Just today I watched Stand Alone Complex's 24th and 25th episodes. And goddamn are they fantastic. I doubt we'll see anything like them in the movie.

On 3/12/2017 at 3:44 PM, Jonwo said:

Jackman is a bit hit and miss as a draw, Prisoners was successful but it also had Jake Gyllenhaal, Les Mis sold itself and was pretty starry anyway. Pan was a failure but I don't think anyone could have saved that film. 

Jackman isn't really a "draw" (few actors are these days), like any actor though, he needs to be careful with his scripts.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Pretty much. Just today I watched Stand Alone Complex's 24th and 25th episodes. And goddamn are they fantastic. I doubt we'll see anything like them in the movie.

Likely not. We have indie sci-fi thinking films, but those movies usually have smaller budgets and get limited releases, unless they're something rare, like say Arrival. 

On 3/12/2017 at 4:27 PM, grey ghost said:

After Star Wars, studios tried to invent their own franchises.

It worked for a while with hits like Ghostbusters and Back to the Future but they eventually gave in after so many flops and simply bought the rights to stories that came with a prepackaged fanbase.

The bigger the fanbase the more sequels, spinoffs and reboots you can manage to pull off successfully.

Then you had disappointing film after film from super stars like Adam Sandler.

So audiences and studios shifted their attention to franchises and mega franchises which was even more curtailed to individual tastes than following a famous personality from movie to movie.

Avatar was probably the final nail in the coffin. Little star power yet it made an unprecedented and legendary amount of cash.

To be exact, after Star Wars every studio was trying to get their big epic sci-fi film, so a lot of SW clones were greenlit as a result. The actual big film franchises didn't come until years later.

12 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Likely not. We have indie sci-fi thinking films, but those movies usually have smaller budgets and get limited releases, unless they're something rare, like say Arrival. 

Would be much more interested in Japan doing a live action Ghost In The Shell tbh

19 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Jackman isn't really a "draw" (few actors are these days), like any actor though, he needs to be careful with his scripts.

Jackman has picked mostly good roles both in film and in theatre but he's starred in a few stinkers. I'll be curious how he fares in The Greatest Showman, seems like a good role for him. 

8 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The way Shin Gojira was would fit perfectly in a hypothetical Ghost In The Shell movie. 

It'd be a perfect way of trying to outdo the English language live-action remake. Do it better and smarter. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Jackman has picked mostly good roles both in film and in theatre but he's starred in a few stinkers. I'll be curious how he fares in The Greatest Showman, seems like a good role for him. 

The Greatest Showman is actually the perfect role for Jackman since he's a professionally trained stage performer/singer. If the film is a success, and clearly Fox has faith in it given the December release, I could see him getting an Oscar nom for that instead of Logan. 

• Like 2