DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

38 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Wasn't this movie re-released like 3 times and remained in theathers for 4 years during its original run? Yeah, I'm sticking with "Get Out"

What am I twisting? 

Here, you are trying to imply that Get Out is somehow a bigger BO milestone than The Exorcist. You list two factors (rightly or wrongly) that you feel should be considered so as to diminish The Exorcist's performance and you declare that Get Out is the real champ. 

This is simply factually wrong, and not just me, but others have pointed this out. Now, Get Out is an awesome hit, but to compare it with the Star Wars (in terms of BO at least, but also in quality many would say) of horror movies is deeply misguided and misleading. Get Out is more comparable to 1996's Scream in terms of BO and sleeper hit factor. 

• Like 1

He was not implying that it's bigger than Exorcist in any way. He didn't even bring up the movie The Exorcist. He just simply said that it could go on to be the highest grossing R-rated horror movie. And he would be correct in that assessment if it was able to manage to pass 193 million, what you're probably will not.

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

What am I twisting? 

Here, you are trying to imply that Get Out is somehow a bigger BO milestone than The Exorcist. You list two factors (rightly or wrongly) that you feel should be considered so as to diminish The Exorcist's performance and you declare that Get Out is the real champ. 

This is simply factually wrong, and not just me, but others have pointed this out. Now, Get Out is an awesome hit, but to compare it with the Star Wars (in terms of BO at least, but also in quality many would say) of horror movies is deeply misguided and misleading. Get Out is more comparable to 1996's Scream in terms of BO and sleeper hit factor. 

Why does it bother you so much? I feel like we wouldn't have this conversation if "Get Out" was some random horror flick that didn't involve black people, and the reason I am saying this is because of your unsubstantiated opinion regarding black people and their unrelateness overseas. 

We just need actuals to come in.

Fingers crossed Kong stays above 60M, my box office OCD wouldn't like it if the actual number ended up at 59.8

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davincicode1 said:

Why does it bother you so much? I feel like we wouldn't have this conversation if "Get Out" was some random horror flick that didn't involve black people, and the reason I am saying this is because of your unsubstantiated opinion regarding black people and their unrelateness overseas. 

Stop it buddy. I am on your side as long as we stick to the GO versus Exorcist gross. The minute you start bringing race into this you are going to lose everybody supports and you're going to look like a jackass.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Stop it buddy. I am on your side as long as we stick to the ghettos versus Exorcist gross. The minute you start bringing your race into this you are going to lose everybody supports and you're going to look like a jackass.

I'm sure you meant to say Get Out versus Exorcist gross...but its funny it came out as "ghettos versus Exorcist gross."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Stop it buddy. I am on your side as long as we stick to the ghettos versus Exorcist gross. The minute you start bringing your race into this you are going to lose everybody supports and you're going to look like a jackass.

This is my last post in relation to this. Get Out is a massive sleeper hit, the likes of which we have been starved off in recent years. In terms of horror movies, it will probably be the biggest in many years, possibly decades, but it simply does not compare to The Exorcist. 

And that is all I have to say about this issue. 

Thanx. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

can you really get suspended for using puns?  aren't they just like clever sayings or riddles or something?

You can get banned for anything I guess. I don't remember filling out a Terms of Agreement form when coming here.

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

I am sorry but this is the same person who claimed that people overseas have hard time relating to black people (not just movies) 

44 minutes ago, baumer said:

This being a box office site, we discuss it all.  Adjusted is a conversation that we have all the time.  And it may or may not be relevant in the big picture.  But all he was saying is that GO could become the biggest grossing R rated horror movie of all time and in that assessment he is correct.  I'm not for or against the argument of adjusted but for every argument you make about inflation and such over 40 years, there are counter arguments that can be used.  In 1973, there was no VHS, no DVD, no BR, internet, streaming, ipad, iphones, netflix, youtube and films were not available on Android boxes 2 days after they came out.  So sure, the Exorcist "adjusts" to more, but it also had nothing to prevent people from going to the theater to see it.

Not to mention the number of theatrical releases in 1973 is about 1/5th that of 2017. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

I think Get Out has a chance of passing the $200M mark. It's holding up exceedingly well for this day and age. But in no way will it be the number one horror movie of all time as some people like to fantasize. Even Silence of the Lambs adjusts to around $233M in today's dollars. 

Silence of the Lambs actually adjusts to around 275m.  I think the Scream comparison is good as that was a sleeper hit that adjusts to 195m or maybe The Blair Witch Project that adjusts to around 240m.  Best case scenario for Get Out is somewhere between those 2.

The Exorcist is the Titanic of Horror movies, its run won't be duplicated.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, DAJK said:

We just need actuals to come in.

Fingers crossed Kong stays above 60M, my box office OCD wouldn't like it if the actual number ended up at 59.8

I don't see that even making a difference.

It exceeded original projections(expectations) by grossing over 50mil.

Edited by Brainiac5