DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

45 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

I am sorry but this is the same person who claimed that people overseas have hard time relating to black people (not just movies) 

Uh, they do. There is no country in Europe, South America or Australasia that has anywhere near the population percentage of black people.

So let me get this straight. A user got "banned" for a month (I saw that they're back!) because of using a terrible pun but we have a user who literally brings race into every single discussion we have about movies...and if you don't agree with them, you're problematic and/or racist but nothing has been done to this said user despite the multiple warnings given out in the Kong thread? 

I really think its unfair for other users who are just trying to have a discussion about the numbers/movies and if they don't agree with the user they're deemed racist. It just sucks the fun out of talking about numbers and movies in general. 

Also this isn't me trying to get anyone banned. I just think it's ridiculous that every single time this user posts he accuses a movie of being problematic/racist or he accuses other users of being problematic/racist.

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

I think the main reason Get Out hasn't got any major international releases is because international markets typically aren't as interested in the horror genre. Someone linked an article a few weeks ago comparing the BO of different genres across the world and the domestic market for horror was disproportionately high compared to international markets. Couple that with the fact no one saw this monster gross coming means that Universal didn't bother doing much overseas. Now that they know the interest is there though they have scheduled it to come out theatrically at least in NZ, but not until May. I'd imagine there are similar situations happening in other countries.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

So let me get this straight. A user got "banned" for a month (I saw that they're back!) because of using a terrible pun but we have a user who literally brings race into every single discussion we have about movies...and if you don't agree with them, you're problematic and/or racist but nothing has been done to this said user despite the multiple warnings given out in the Kong thread? 

I really think its unfair for other users who are just trying to have a discussion about the numbers/movies and if they don't agree with the user they're deemed racist. It just sucks the fun out of talking about numbers and movies in general. 

Well if we're being honest, @AABATTERY deserved the ban :ph34r: 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Also this isn't me trying to get anyone banned. I just think it's ridiculous that every single time this user posts he accuses a movie of being problematic/racist or he accuses other users of being problematic/racist.

AFAIK there's no real set of concrete rules, that define what is and what isn't bannable. 

So making fallacious arguments that don't seem that bad on the surface could stay. It derails threads, but doesn't that happen no matter who is posting?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

No one got banned for a month, it was just a joke that got a little wild. 

Also, just because you haven't seen anything doesn't mean nothing has been done. 

And lastly, if you a post is problematic, please report it. Staff-members aren't necessarily every thread at any given time and the only way to make sure we see it is to report it. 

• Like 11

Just now, franfar said:

AFAIK there's no real set of concrete rules, that define what is and what isn't bannable. 

So making fallacious arguments that don't seem that bad on the surface could stay. It derails threads, but doesn't that happen no matter who is posting?

Lets put it this way: Some thread derailments are better than others.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, franfar said:

There are no set rules but typically when a user continues to derail threads they get warnings and eventually get a ban. 

Ive said this before and I'll say it again. Of course I think there is a race issue in Hollywood and I really think it's important to talk about it but I don't think it's fair to start calling other users racist or make assumptions that they are. I've gotten into my fair share of arguments on this board...it happens when any discussion is taking place. I just think when it starts getting personal is when a line should be drawn and that's where this particular discussion is headed. 

Thank you @Telemachosfor the response. I wasn't trying to start anything to be honest. It was just getting a tad bit uncomfortable with what was being said the last two pages. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, That unBanned Guy said:

I'd much rather have a thread derailment on the topic of cats than a thread derailment on the topic of racism.

Any thread filled with pussy I'm game with.

Pls don't ban me

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Uh, they do. There is no country in Europe, South America or Australasia that has anywhere near the population percentage of black people.

Brazil and other SA countries would beg to differ. About half of Brazil's population is Afro descendant.

The O/S box office is limited more because of genre than the race of a film's leads.  Dramas starring white leads that aren't Oscar boosted don't exactly travel well O/S even in English speaking countries.  Comedy is always very cultural.  Sports movie invariably bomb O/S.  O/S leans even heavier on name brands and star power than domestic.  For a time Will Smith was the biggest star in the world, not just the US but O/S.  Even now films like Focus and Collateral do comparatively quite well O/S and I think Suicide Squad was helped O/S by his presence.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Silence of the Lambs actually adjusts to around 275m.  I think the Scream comparison is good as that was a sleeper hit that adjusts to 195m or maybe The Blair Witch Project that adjusts to around 240m.  Best case scenario for Get Out is somewhere between those 2.

The Exorcist is the Titanic of Horror movies, its run won't be duplicated.

I disagree with how most people "adjust" box-office numbers. Ticket sales are not the real issue for me. Real monetary value is, though. The instrument we should be using is the US Dollar inflation index as produced by the US Federal Government: http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/