DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

10 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Wasn't this movie re-released like 3 times and remained in theathers for 4 years during its original run? Yeah, I'm sticking with "Get Out"

This guy! 

Comparing Get Out to The Exorcist is like comparing Dr Strange to the original Star Wars...Jeez!

3 hours ago, That unBanned Guy said:

In its original run, it made 892M adjusted.  Get Out isn't touching that.

He wasn't talking adjusted numbers, though.

11 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Wasn't this movie re-released like 3 times and remained in theathers for 4 years during its original run? Yeah, I'm sticking with "Get Out"

Yeah. It's initial run in 1973 was close to $200M. It adjusts to bonkers numbers. Get Out is phenomenon. Exorcist was something we'll likely never see again from what, at the time, was bordering on an X rating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

This guy! 

Comparing Get Out to The Exorcist is like comparing Dr Strange to the original Star Wars...Jeez!

He wasn't.  He was just simply going by gross.

3 hours ago, That unBanned Guy said:

Even so, Get Out hitting 193M, while possible, is still far from guaranteed.

It's not going to happen.  I think 175 is a good number to shoot for.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, baumer said:

He wasn't.  He was just simply going by gross.

What's the point of comparing the unadjusted grosses of a movie released in the early 70s and a movie released in 2017? By that logic, Secret Life of Pets has "outgrossed" ET's original run. A statement like that, even though nominally true, is spin taken to intergalactic levels. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's not going to happen.  I think 175 is a good number to shoot for.  

I think Get Out has a chance of passing the $200M mark. It's holding up exceedingly well for this day and age. But in no way will it be the number one horror movie of all time as some people like to fantasize. Even Silence of the Lambs adjusts to around $233M in today's dollars. 

What's the point of comparing the unadjusted grosses of a movie released in the early 70s and a movie released in 2017? By that logic, Secret Life of Pets has "outgrossed" ET's original run. A statement like that, even though nominally true, is spin taken to intergalactic levels. 

Because this is a box office site and at this site we discuss the numbers and all that comes with it.  And this is coming from someone who didn't like the Exorcist.  So lay off him.  Davinci does plenty to dig himself a hole here, but saying that Get Out could become the highest grossing R rated horror movie of all time is true.  It can.  Just like it's true that TPM out grossed ANH.  Why are you getting bent out of shape about it?  Numbers are numbers.   

• Like 2

I think Get Out has a chance of passing the $200M mark. It's holding up exceedingly well for this day and age. But in no way will it be the number one horror movie of all time as some people like to fantasize. Even Silence of the Lambs adjusts to around $233M in today's dollars. 

But we're not using adjusted, are we?

Just now, baumer said:

Because this is a box office site and at this site we discuss the numbers and all that comes with it.  And this is coming from someone who didn't like the Exorcist.  So lay off him.  Davinci does plenty to dig himself a hole here, but saying that Get Out could become the highest grossing R rated horror movie of all time is true.  It can.  Just like it's true that TPM out grossed ANH.  Why are you getting bent out of shape about it?  Numbers are numbers.   

This being a box office site, I would expect some minimal literacy about the concept of inflation (which is the only relevant issue when comparing movies across decades) 

This being a box office site, I would expect some minimal literacy about the concept of inflation (which is the only relevant issue when comparing movies across decades) 

This being a box office site, we discuss it all.  Adjusted is a conversation that we have all the time.  And it may or may not be relevant in the big picture.  But all he was saying is that GO could become the biggest grossing R rated horror movie of all time and in that assessment he is correct.  I'm not for or against the argument of adjusted but for every argument you make about inflation and such over 40 years, there are counter arguments that can be used.  In 1973, there was no VHS, no DVD, no BR, internet, streaming, ipad, iphones, netflix, youtube and films were not available on Android boxes 2 days after they came out.  So sure, the Exorcist "adjusts" to more, but it also had nothing to prevent people from going to the theater to see it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

16 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

This guy! 

Why are you trying to twist my words, and pretty much insert an argument where it isn't needed?? I never compared these movies quality-wise, heck I didn't even bring up "The Exorcist". I am fine with "Get Out" endning up at second place, it will eventually overtake "The Exorcist" with a re-release during Halloween or some kind of push, Universal will find a way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Why are you trying to twist my words, and pretty much insert an argument where it isn't needed?? I never compared these movies quality-wise, heck I didn't even bring up "The Exorcist". I am fine with "Get Out" endning up at second place, it will eventually overtake "The Exorcist" with a re-release during Halloween or some kind of push, Universal will find a way. 

lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

This being a box office site, we discuss it all.  Adjusted is a conversation that we have all the time.  And it may or may not be relevant in the big picture.  But all he was saying is that GO could become the biggest grossing R rated horror movie of all time and in that assessment he is correct.  I'm not for or against the argument of adjusted but for every argument you make about inflation and such over 40 years, there are counter arguments that can be used.  In 1973, there was no VHS, no DVD, no BR, internet, streaming, ipad, iphones, netflix, youtube and films were not available on Android boxes 2 days after they came out.  So sure, the Exorcist "adjusts" to more, but it also had nothing to prevent people from going to the theater to see it.

I know, and I agree with what you are saying there. 

But comparing Get Out to The Exorcist is quite absurd, wouldn't you say? The fair comparison would have been with other big horror sleeper hits from bygone years such Silence of the Lambs, Seven, Scream etc... 

5 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Universal has a horror movie on Halloween.

And if Universal wants the record and feels it is close enough they will just keep it in theaters a little longer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Yes, let's have this debate again.

Edited by Eevin