franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Four is the maximum they can do, there is a danger of over-saturating the market and also encroaching on their own films, not just other studios. 

I would guess Guardians 3 will be July or October 2022, I'm not sure if Gunn would be able to have it ready any 

I’m almost certain that October 2022 will go to the Blade movie. 

43 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

So, 2021 isn’t an anomaly? They’re really doing four films a year moving forward? That’s pretty crazy. I guess this will be the ultimate test to see whether or not superhero fatigue is a real thing. 

You need to consider they eliminated Marvel movies coming from Fox in there, 4 isn't specially high for Marvel movies release.

They could probably go to between 4 to 6 a year if they ever get spider man back and no Sony SH movies taking space:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/production-company/Marvel-Studios

Theatrical major Marvel movies release in 

2016: 4

2017: 4

2018: 5 (6 with Spiderverse)

2019: 4

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

Barnack just made my exact point. 4+ Marvel movies a year isn’t unusual, it’s the norm. The different is that instead of MCU+Fox+Sony, now Deadpool, X-men, Fantastic Four, mainline Spider-man are all MCU with SUMC and as the live-action non-MCU marvel releases. Endgame 8 week later helped CM. DP2 3 weeks after IW coexisted just fine. It can be difficult to tell if some delicate tipping point will be reached, but there’s not much in the way of historical data to say that 5 or 6 would hurt each other. 

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder why Disney has never scheduled a Marvel film for December, Aquaman proved it can work. 

Probably keeping those dates for future Star Wars and Avatar movies. And marvel movies make money anywhere so it doesn’t really matter where they schedule them tbh. 

• Like 1

Maybe reading too much into this but the fact Disney definitely dated July 2023 wonder if it means anything to Spider-Man post-2021. 

Anyhow not that surprsing 4 MCU Films is becoming the norm with the amount of ongoing franchises they have atm and at least once a year they're debuting a new one. Feel bad for those that love cinema though 

:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Feel bad for those that love cinema though 

:ph34r:

There were actually only 5 McU movies scheduled for 2022+2023 before Marty opened his big mouth, but now we’ll end up with ultimately 9 as a retort :sarah:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

so the 2022/2023 schedule:

Feb 22 - 

May 22 - Black Panther 2

July 22 - 

Oct 22 - 

Feb 23 - 

May 23 - 

July 23 - 

Nov 23 - 

and here are my guesses, which I'll admit may be wrong right with guess #1, that Feb 2022 slot, but we'll see:

Feb 22 - Ant Man 3

May 22 - Black Panther 2

July 22 - Fantastic Four

Oct 22 - Blade

Feb 23 - Deadpool 3?????

May 23 - Captain Marvel 2

July 23 - GOTG 3

Nov 23 - Young Avengers

My biggest issue with my made up list is that there's no room for Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts. Which I think is going to happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cax16 said:

Probably keeping those dates for future Star Wars and Avatar movies. And marvel movies make money anywhere so it doesn’t really matter where they schedule them tbh. 

Yes, but with Christmas legs they could much more than they already do.

Aquaman won't have done even 750M ww if it wasn't for Christmas legs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kitik said:

so the 2022/2023 schedule:

Feb 22 - 

May 22 - Black Panther 2

July 22 - 

Oct 22 - 

Feb 23 - 

May 23 - 

July 23 - 

Nov 23 - 

and here are my guesses, which I'll admit may be wrong right with guess #1, that Feb 2022 slot, but we'll see:

Feb 22 - Ant Man 3

May 22 - Black Panther 2

July 22 - Fantastic Four

Oct 22 - Blade

Feb 23 - Deadpool 3?????

May 23 - Captain Marvel 2

July 23 - GOTG 3

Nov 23 - Young Avengers

My biggest issue with my made up list is that there's no room for Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts. Which I think is going to happen.

I hadn't even considered the possibility of Blade opening just before Halloween but in hindsight it would make so much sense.

GOTG - SM - Thor - BP -AIW  -   5 movies released in a 12 month period. No problem for Feige or audience fatigue

As said as far as fatigue there are no more separate Fox movies which they were reportedly ramping up to doing 3 a year.

The Eternals should be a December release now that Avatar 2 has moved out and there's no SW film.

8 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Yes, but with Christmas legs they could much more than they already do.

Aquaman won't have done even 750M ww if it wasn't for Christmas legs. 

Lol, you have no way of proving this and it’s not something I’m even going to bother discussing. 

Until marvel decides to release a movie around the holidays we’ll have no idea if that date would actually make an impact on the movie or just make it have a smaller opening with much better holds. 

Edited by cax16
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Not a good reason not to move Eternals there when we've had far more competition in the X-Mas spot.  This year we're getting SW, Jumanji and a musical - again.

I think there'd be more over-lap between Dune/Eternals than Jumaji/Wars

On 11/16/2019 at 6:21 AM, cax16 said:

Spot on . but still Christmas & New Year is the best release date when it comes to box office .. 

Long holidays + audience purchasing capacity is all time high 

On 11/16/2019 at 2:53 AM, TalismanRing said:

GOTG - SM - Thor - BP -AIW  -   5 movies released in a 12 month period. No problem for Feige or audience fatigue

As said as far as fatigue there are no more separate Fox movies which they were reportedly ramping up to doing 3 a year.

The Eternals should be a December release now that Avatar 2 has moved out and there's no SW film.

There’s a big difference between 5 in a twelve month period than 4 MCU films a year.

• Thanks 1