franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

I got the trailer for The Little Mermaid as the Disney attachment before my showing of Mario. It makes sense that studios largely prioritized having family-friendly previews (WB with Barbie, Paramount with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles + a 15 second spot for Transformers, Sony with Spider-Man, etc.) before the big animated movie in which kids and their parents were always going to be the primary audience.

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

$125m would seem decent considering the tracking thread. But it’s still less than the last film. 

may be fans of Guardians overhyped their appeal. the second movie did just a little bit better than the first one. there is a ceiling. and considering second movie was not as good as the first one which was great, and special was "special", here we are. 

44 minutes ago, InVy said:

may be fans of Guardians overhyped their appeal. the second movie did just a little bit better than the first one. there is a ceiling. and considering second movie was not as good as the first one which was great, and special was "special", here we are. 

I wonder if Infinity War/Endgame threw off their marketing more than anticipated. It both nukes the franchise's core relationship (in a way that trailers don't really suggest will be undone) and it's honestly just been long enough that it doesn't really even feel like a cliff hanger (especially as GotG isn't telegraphing the new story will be able that relationship).  

1 hour ago, InVy said:

The second one had a pretty solid increase from the first, especially considering they had yet to appear in any other Marvel movies. If this movie underperforms, that will be more attributable to a general decline in the superhero genre than anything else. 

29 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I wonder if Infinity War/Endgame threw off their marketing more than anticipated. It both nukes the franchise's core relationship (in a way that trailers don't really suggest will be undone) and it's honestly just been long enough that it doesn't really even feel like a cliff hanger (especially as GotG isn't telegraphing the new story will be able that relationship).  

Eh... Not buying this... Especially given increases No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, Love & Thunder and Quantumania saw post Endgame. I think this is more so a sign of the general malaise of most of the recent superhero movies since Endgame not delivering... And, I don't just mean the MCU ones either. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh... Not buying this... Especially given increases No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, Love & Thunder and Quantumania saw post Endgame. I think this is more so a sign of the general malaise of most of the recent superhero movies since Endgame not delivering... And, I don't just mean the MCU ones either. 

they all had special characters that increased their openings. as you said Guardians are just Guardians with Groot not looking cute for the first time 

11 minutes ago, InVy said:

they all had special characters that increased their openings. as you said Guardians are just Guardians with Groot not looking cute for the first time 

Still doesn't mean sales should be lower than they were for Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 DOM. You expect some diminishing returns but with inflation since Vol. 2 you'd expect even with lower admissions that Vol. 3 could come close its totals both OW DOM and DOM TOTAL. Which, doesn't appear to be the case here... I think it has a lot to do with audiences feeling let down by most superhero movies since the pandemic hit really. I think the only two that were pretty widely liked have been The Batman and Wakanda Forever and, maybe, No Way Home. Guardians are more widely known as characters than ever before and they were not poorly received at all in Infinity War and Endgame... Those only boosted their popularity.

They really didn't add characters in Vol. 2. It's self-contained. And, Vol. 1 did extremely well without an infant Groot. I'm not sure Groot has to be an infant to be appealing. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Still does mean sales should be lower than they were for Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 DOM. You expect some diminishing returns but with inflation since Vol. 2 you'd expect even with lower admissions that Vol. 3 could come close its totals both OW DOM and DOM TOTAL. Which, doesn't appear to be the case here... I think it has a lot to do with audiences feeling let down by most superhero movies since the pandemic hit really. I think the only two that were pretty widely liked have been The Batman and Wakanda Forever and, maybe, No Way Home. Guardians are more widely known as characters that ever before and they were not poorly received at all in Infinity War and Endgame... Those only boosted their popularity.

Guardians' Xmas special is below 7 on IMDB. It has more to do with them than some other films. And No Way Home was widely liked. Spiderman and Batman are still the biggest superheroes by a mile.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

They really didn't add characters in Vol. 2. It's self-contained. And, Vol. 1 did extremely well without an infant Groot. I'm not sure Groot has to be an infant to be appealing. 

And Vol.2 increased much less than others MCU sequels. Groot is cute in first one. 

3 minutes ago, InVy said:

Guardians' Xmas special is below 7 on IMDB. It has more to do with them than some other films. And No Way Home was widely liked. Spiderman and Batman are still the biggest superheroes by a mile.

Yeah. Not buying that that means much of anything. That's so obviously a throwback to old Christmas Specials and nothing like what Vol. 3 is going to be or what Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 have been like. Or, how the Guardians functioned in Infinity War and Endgame. I really think it's just been a string of superhero movies that have somewhat let audiences down... Especially the recent Ant-man. But, Thor as well a bit. Strange too.

9 minutes ago, InVy said:

And Vol.2 increased much less than others MCU sequels. Groot is cute in first one. 

Did it? Didn't Homecoming and Far From Home have a similar increase from 1 to 2? Didn't Iron Man 2 stay the same or go down? A Thor movie didn't even make as much as Guardians Vol. 1 until Love & Thunder. 

Guardians Vol. 2 is higher than any Thor movie, any Ant-man movie. Heck, Civil War didn't even gross that much more than Vol. 2 and it had 2/3 of the Avengers in it. 

The reason the increase wasn't huge from Vol. 1 to Vol. 2 is because Vol. 1 was a huge hit that summer. Made a ton. It's pretty impressive that it increased from Vol. 2 without even adding any crossover characters from any MCU stuff. It's just the Guardians and some new faces. If I recall, Thanos isn't even in that one. Still managed to increase. Almost all of the other series add characters and still come up short (see Thor) of the Guardians DOM grosses. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Did it? Didn't Homecoming and Far From Home have a similar increase from 1 to 2? Didn't Iron Man 2 stay the same or go down? A Thor movie didn't even make as much as Guardians Vol. 1 until Love & Thunder. 

Guardians Vol. 2 is higher than any Thor movie, any Ant-man movie. Heck, Civil War didn't even gross that much more than Vol. 2 and it had 2/3 of the Avengers in it. 

The reason the increase wasn't huge from Vol. 1 to Vol. 2 is because Vol. 1 was a huge hit that summer. Made a ton. It's pretty impressive that it increased from Vol. 2 without even adding any crossover characters from any MCU stuff. It's just the Guardians and some new faces. If I recall, Thanos isn't even in that one. Still managed to increase. Almost all of the other series add characters and still come up short (see Thor) of the Guardians DOM grosses. 

well, you said it yourself. Vol.1 was the zeitgeist movie just like Black Panther, the only way is down now. 

2 minutes ago, InVy said:

well, you said it yourself. Vol.1 was the zeitgeist movie just like Black Panther, the only way is down now. 

Yes... But, even with fewer admissions than Vol. 2, you'd still think it would do 350M+ because Vol. 2 probably is comfortably over 400M DOM when adjusting for inflation. I think the disappointment in recent MCU stuff any really superhero stuff in general is causing an even bigger pause than many expected in presales. Maybe they recover... Who knows?

5 hours ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

I gotten this, Barbie, About My Father, Transformers, Fast X and the Flash between my two screenings

Well, fuck me, what do I know!

It might be a Texas thing?  Like I know Peter calling Gamora a dick in that trailer def would have fielded some complaints here 🤣

5 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Well, fuck me, what do I know!

It might be a Texas thing?  Like I know Peter calling Gamora a dick in that trailer def would have fielded some complaints here 🤣

I got a version without that bit

It did still have the beach off bit for Barbie tho

• Haha 1