franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

39 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Do we know why they've pissed away goodwill? What specifically did it? You can't fix a problem if you don't know exactly what it is. 

Make better movies. People didn´t like Thor, MoM, Ant-Man 3, Eternals. Black Widow had good but not great reception. Ant-Man 3 was supposed to be the start of the new saga and it was arguably one of their worst movies.

Really wish we had gotten that Thor and the Guardians adventure everyone was excited for after Endgame. Instead of the Guardians relegated to a 10 min intro in Love and Thunder. I think a full blown team-up adventure would've done bigger numbers than both separate films. 

• Like 4

Just saw the RT score. I mean...chances are this finishes in the 60's. I genuinely think critics at the very least are done with superhero movies and audiences aren't far behind. It will be interesting to see the public reception. I can see 125 OW/ 330 DOM/ 800 WW. But I can also see 105 / 260 / 600 with Fast X killing it internationally...

2 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

Really wish we had gotten that Thor and the Guardians adventure everyone was excited for after Endgame. Instead of the Guardians relegated to a 10 min intro in Love and Thunder. I think a full blown team-up adventure would've done bigger numbers than both separate films. 

Both Taika and Gunn hated that idea, and that was never going to be full movie. Thank God because L&T was so overstuffed, and the last thing we needed in the GOTG finale is Thor there.

9 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

I mean, I was so excited at the prospect of that. The dynamic with them in IW was brilliant and I think it would have done wonders for Thor rather than getting the mess we did. Ah well...

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Both Taika and Gunn hated that idea, and that was never going to be full movie. Thank God because L&T was so overstuffed, and the last thing we needed in the GOTG finale is Thor there.

Orrr... make a movie that has nothing to do with what L&T was. You make it sound like the result would have been exactly the same, but with the Guardians, as opposed to a completely different - perhaps even WATCHABLE - movie. At the very least, I would like to think one of the Guardians would have killed the fucking goats.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Do people honestly not know why the MCU has been on this trend? I mean, it's pretty clear to me (besides the pandemic). The MCU had an unprecedented run, increasing year over year consistently, with little to no dilution to the brand. This hit with their season finale (Endgame). Then came the pandemic, and them trying to not just start a new phase, but completely went a different direction with character not seen before. So obviously when NWH came out, people were pining for the familiar. But now as they've been trying to recapture the magic, that rush from Phase 3 is gone. So they have to build it all back up again. Just look at any media, ever. Look at bands who have huge selling albums, who try to do something new and it just doesn't go over as well, and then have to revert to playing the hits. Or TV series where it has a perfect first season, but takes a few more to find that footing again. The MCU eventually will be fine, it just has to figure out what it wants to be now. Something new, or playing the hits?

The reality is they don't have a replacement of Tony Stark in the MCU, and so they are marketing this saga through Kang, putting him at the forefront of this saga. But the audience won't buy this; they look up to heroes, not villains. They are so incompetent that even after 4 years since Endgame, they are still unable to tell the audience who the 2-3 big characters are in this saga. Why? Because they don't have confidence in those characters that they can carry MCU. You are calling their "incompetency" "trying something new/building something new".

Edited by Willowra

Just now, SpiderByte said:

It's absolutely insane how a week ago people were talking how it'd be 70-80 but now that it's tracking much higher it's still somehow terrible 

I dont think there was any prediction of this opening to 70m !!! There is this legendary post from @M37 about 80-105m OW based on sales trend. But its not absolute. He has updated his trend as well. I dont think we even have a crazy club about this missing 1st movie OW or 100m OW or even below Ant 3 OW. 

• Like 3

I figured gotg 3 would be the best reviewed MCU flick of the year but maybe it will be Marvels after all.

Looking forward to watching this one though. Glad he seems to have wrapped it up more or less great

37 minutes ago, Willowra said:

The reality is they don't have a replacement of Tony Stark in the MCU, and so they are marketing this saga through Kang, putting him at the forefront of this saga. But the audience won't buy this; they look up to heroes, not villains. They are so incompetent that even after 4 years since Endgame, they are still unable to tell the audience who the 2-3 big characters are in this saga. Why? Because they don't have confidence in those characters that they can carry MCU. You are calling their "incompetency" "trying something new/building something new".

You're a fool if you think Feige has no plan for the MCU. That's such a ridiculous statement. There is not a Thor/Iron Man/Captain America trio because that was just a lightning in the bottle hit. They're very clearly planning something specific with the younger characters, that may now be in jeopardy due to the Majors stuff. But to imply they're incompetent is... eesh

• Like 1

Looking likely this will end up in the bottom 5 for MCU tomatometers. Only above 7 MCU currently. Eesh, this was about the last thing MCU needed right now. I almost think rotten would have been better since at least that would've generated more buzz and talk among the GA in a “let’s see if it’s really that bad” sort of way. As it is, doesn’t have any help to generate interest. 

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Just saw the RT score. I mean...chances are this finishes in the 60's. I genuinely think critics at the very least are done with superhero movies and audiences aren't far behind. It will be interesting to see the public reception. I can see 125 OW/ 330 DOM/ 800 WW. But I can also see 105 / 260 / 600 with Fast X killing it internationally...

No way it’s getting that kind of multi as an MCU second sequel with mediocre reception unless audience reception is far better. I think a 2.2x with this kind of reception should be the goal. If it keeps dipping on RT and audience reception matches, maybe more like 2x. 

40 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It's absolutely insane how a week ago people were talking how it'd be 70-80 but now that it's tracking much higher it's still somehow terrible 

Nobody said it was going to open to 70-80M. And again, if you don't like people being negative about Marvel, we have Ignore functionalities for a reason.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jking123 said:

I figured gotg 3 would be the best reviewed MCU flick of the year but maybe it will be Marvels after all.

Looking forward to watching this one though. Glad he seems to have wrapped it up more or less great

I still have hope for Marvels if they can capture the same charm of the Ms Marvel show. Maybe in a proper big vehicle like that, it can find success the show couldn’t. 

• Like 1

I’m a little late regarding the ‘edgelord’ discussion, but I would definitely say that it’s a pretty accurate description of Gunn’s style. Much of his work relies on the kind of shock humor that was all the rage post-South Park, and he’s not exactly shy about dealing with some dark and morbid subject matter. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

You're a fool if you think Feige has no plan for the MCU. That's such a ridiculous statement. There is not a Thor/Iron Man/Captain America trio because that was just a lightning in the bottle hit. They're very clearly planning something specific with the younger characters, that may now be in jeopardy due to the Majors stuff. But to imply they're incompetent is... eesh

We already know Feige's plan; his plan is to market this saga through Kang/Jonathan Majors. He already said that the multiverse saga rests on the shoulders of Jonathan Majors. They are unable to project heroes as the faces of the MCU because they don't have confidence in those characters that they can carry the MCU. If they project someone as the lead of the MCU, whether it is Spider-Man, Shang-Chi, or anyone else, then I'll believe that they have some plan.

GOTG 3 is now at 77% on RT. Usully these movies have 300/350 reviews and so far, we've had a little more than 100.

No idea about the final tomatometer, but it can go both ways. Getting rotten would be a truly disaster, getting less than Love and Thunder (which wasn't rotten ) and not rotten would also be a disaster.

All in all, I'm curious about sales. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

GOTG 3 is now at 77% on RT. Usully these movies have 300/350 reviews and so far, we've had a little more than 100.

No idea about the final tomatometer, but it can go both ways. Getting rotten would be a truly disaster, getting less than Love and Thunder (which wasn't rotten ) and not rotten would also be a disaster.

All in all, I'm curious about sales. 

How often do films go up at this point? Even it's average has dipped to a 7. 

I think around MOM is most likely.

Oh my God it´s extremely rare for a movie to drop 18% after 100 reviews, especially with a 7.0 average, stop with this rotten score nonsense 

And while MCU does have a story of audience reception agreeing with critics recently, there are examples of movies from them in their 70´s getting A´s on CinemaScore. This movie reviews isn´t simply a case of opinions being mostly mid, people are just divided, you just have to read the reviews [or look at how Metacritic is way higher than Thor and MOM despite the %], this can lead to a very different audience reception. So, predicting bad multiplier based on reviews alone is simply absurd. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1