franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I feel like it's pushing it a bit to say critics reception here differs so much that it warrants asking that question though. With the score now solidifying around 80 instead of going down reviews certainly landed on the good side even if they're not overwhelmingly great like the audience scores.

Especially because I feel like the same persons are just trying to push a "critics are out of touch" narrative that they really tried to push with Mario already. Maybe we'll get a sequel for the trilogy when Fast or Transformers obviously go rotten...

I agree that there’s not really a notable difference. I think that’s a better response than “it’s opinions” which Eric says a lot in contexts where it’s totally nonproductive.  

• Like 5

I do think that’s a pointless discussion, but oh well i’m not doing anything so… i think once again the “villain” here is RT system 

Guardians have 80% with 7.3 average now, since it’s based on +170 reviews, it shouldn’t change much at this point. Right now, the average is actually better than WF (84% - 7.2), Wasp (87% - 7.0). Same of Guardians 2 (85% - 7.3) and Dr Strange (89% - 7.3). And just shy of FFH (90% - 7.4). 

But despite the average of all these movies being 7.2-7.4, Guardians is way behind in % which gives the impression that reviews themselves are worse when they’re not, it just doesn’t have the same consensus. 

I would like if RT just make the average visible on the movie’s pages, maybe it would be easier for users to see the tomato % is not the actual grade of the movie.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

China Previews Reception (Postive-Negative)

Maoyan - 364 - 3 

Breaking Postive Reviews

Plot Good - 177 | Picture - 87 | Acting - 20

3 Negative ~ 

This seems very promising, especially considering how the recent MCU titles was received. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I Am Eric said:

Plus are we really going all "grr critics bad" on a movie with an 80% on Rotten Tomatoes? In what universe is that a bad rating?

Uhhh, I don't think anyone is. Seems to be a lot of just noting how audience reception appears to be much higher than critic reception, and people are speculating why that could be. I agree with Legion on this one, it probably goes deeper than just saying "it's an opinion" lmao.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I do think that’s a pointless discussion, but oh well i’m not doing anything so… i think once again the “villain” here is RT system 

Guardians have 80% with 7.3 average now, since it’s based on +170 reviews, it shouldn’t change much at this point. Right now, the average is actually better than WF (84% - 7.2), Wasp (87% - 7.0). Same of Guardians 2 (85% - 7.3) and Dr Strange (89% - 7.3). And just shy of FFH (90% - 7.4). 

But despite the average of all these movies being 7.2-7.4, Guardians is way behind in % which gives the impression that reviews themselves are worse when they’re not, it just doesn’t have the same consensus. 

I would like if RT just make the average visible on the movie’s pages, maybe it would be easier for users to see the tomato % is not the actual grade of the movie.

the solution is simple.
don't give more importance to RT

• Like 2

looks like great audience wom is helping to bring back the brand value back this one should have released after wakanda forever ! now marvel can't bottle secret invasion nd loki or echo what ever gonna rls after that nd for the marvels f$ck the box office they should make sure that movie gets good reviews ! marvel can not do anything wrong next yr ! they r back to phase 1 nd make sure they earn the interest back 

1 hour ago, froztking said:

looks like great audience wom is helping to bring back the brand value back this one should have released after wakanda forever ! now marvel can't bottle secret invasion nd loki or echo what ever gonna rls after that nd for the marvels f$ck the box office they should make sure that movie gets good reviews ! marvel can not do anything wrong next yr ! they r back to phase 1 nd make sure they earn the interest back 

You are overreacting. Most of the shows and movies have been well received and they introduced fan favorite characters.  The idea that marvel needs to have everything coming up be a horrible is ridiculous.  They need to be entertaining and have fun characters. 

38 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It would've been 90%+ in 2018-2019. Critics are a lot harsher to cbms today and now criticize them for things that were always present there. Quantumania would have been in 80%-85% range in 2018-2019.

Quantumania was quite literally the second worst rated MCU film by audiences...just drop it guys. Jeez. 80% is not a bad critics score lol.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

Uhhh, I don't think anyone is. Seems to be a lot of just noting how audience reception appears to be much higher than critic reception, and people are speculating why that could be. I agree with Legion on this one, it probably goes deeper than just saying "it's an opinion" lmao.

It’s a blockbuster is why. They tend to have higher audiences scores in general. Because audiences for most are expecting just a fun time and grade according to so.

57 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It would've been 90%+ in 2018-2019. Critics are a lot harsher to cbms today and now criticize them for things that were always present there. Quantumania would have been in 80%-85% range in 2018-2019.

Quantumania would've been poorly received in any era. It's just not very good. Arguably the worst MCU film among the other 4 or 5 complete duds they've had out of 30+ movies. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, YM! said:

It’s a blockbuster is why. They tend to have higher audiences scores in general. Because audiences for most are expecting just a fun time and grade according to so.

Nah, this ain’t it. That’s a real dynamic sure but it seems like there’s a bigger disconnect which is what people are talking about.   

• Like 1

Ftr in the meantime GOTG3 even climbed another point to 81%. So it's feeling like it might just stay low-mid 80s at this point. Again this is by no means a bad critics score and the avg critics score is already ahead of WF as well.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

It’s at an 81%. Think it just comes down to some critics (maybe lean top critics?) on the fence are not giving the same kind of soft pass they did for say Vol 2, otherwise the scores would be right in line with it. 

32 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Quantumania would've been poorly received in any era. It's just not very good. Arguably the worst MCU film among the other 4 or 5 complete duds they've had out of 30+ movies. 

The mcu doesnt have 5 duds lmao. A dud is a critical abd financial flop. Only 2 movies come to mind out of the entire mcu

• Like 1