franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

So reviews are not as good as early reactions and scoops suggested. What a shocker.

Highest rated superhero movies on Metacritic post shutdowns are...

The Suicide Squad 72

Shang-Chi 71

No Way Home 71

The Batman 72

Wakanda Forever 67

Guardians Vol. 3 69

...considering that, reviews are actually pretty good. Unless, I guess, you don't consider the critical receptions of those movies as all that great? Which, is possible. None of them received widespread acclaim but all well were pretty well received I'd say.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The Suicide Squad 72

Shang-Chi 71

No Way Home 71

The Batman 72

Wakanda Forever 67

Guardians Vol. 3 69

...considering that, reviews are actually pretty good. Unless, I guess, you don't consider the critical receptions of those movies as all that great? Which, is possible. None of them received widespread acclaim but all well were pretty well received I'd say.

I don’t check Metacritic, but surely GOTG3 has several more reviews still to be added? 

Just now, Krissykins said:

I don’t check Metacritic, but surely GOTG3 has several more reviews still to be added? 

Probably about 20 more to add. It does have 35 reviews already. That's a sizeable chunk. Movies there tend to get somewhere between 45 and 60 reviews counted on average. So, for that site, 35 is actually a pretty nice sample size to start. 2/3 of the total number it'll get.

I do sort of wonder if "superhero fatigue" is not only hitting audiences, but reviewers as well, and there's just a certain number of reviewers who would have given some of the more recent superhero films a pass (a positive on RT), but just won't anymore. 

So, something that would have scored high to mid 80s 5 years ago, ends up in the high 60s or low 70s now.  

Like, I didn't really like either of these films, but I don't think there's really *that* much of a quality difference between Ant-Man 2 and 3 (87% vs. 47%, a whopping 40-point difference in positive reviews), and I think 3 would have gotten much better reviews 5 years ago, and 2 would have done much better if it had been released now.

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The Suicide Squad 72

Shang-Chi 71

No Way Home 71

The Batman 72

Wakanda Forever 67

Guardians Vol. 3 69

70s is good, but I assume it'll drop to low 60s in the end, with RT below 80 which is not great, definitely not raves I expected.

5 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I do sort of wonder if "superhero fatigue" is not only hitting audiences, but reviewers as well, and there's just a certain number of reviewers who would have given some of the more recent superhero films a pass (a positive on RT), but just won't anymore. 

This is 100% the case; end of the day reviewers will look for something a bit different. Its also possible Marvel staff are fatigues/out of some of the ideas that were popular. I still think NEW Gamora was a mistake, we are basically getting a third film about their relation - thats not great when we should be seeing character growth.

Reviews seem in the OK range which for me if people were holding out for a review bump to tracking thats not coming but I still hope fans of the films run it up a bit late but thats only a hope.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

So, something that would have scored high to mid 80s 5 years ago, ends up in the high 60s or low 70s now.  

Like, I didn't really like either of these films, but I don't think there's really *that* much of a quality difference between Ant-Man 2 and 3 (87% vs. 47%, a whopping 40-point difference in positive reviews), and I think 3 would have gotten much better reviews 5 years ago, and 2 would have done much if it had been released now.

I actually think AM2 is considerably better than AM3 but that said 87% is super high. I didn't realize the % was that high. I do think that there's something to this... There's definitely fatigue with everyone for supes stuff. I'm sure some will still get glowing reviews but we haven't seen literally any get anything higher than like 72/100 on MC since Endgame. None. And, there's been a ton since Endgame. Not just MCU ones but DC has released 4 too. Of course, Venom 2 and Morbius came out too. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting too. There's been what since Endgame? Well over a dozen right? Maybe 16 or so? And, again, none higher than a 72 on MC since it released.

17 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Wait. The Special is a need to watch? Just heard it in a review. I thought that was Christmas fun? Marvel needs to stop doing this. 

There's no way that's a need to watch. There's one small thing revealed in it that if you paid attention to Vol. 2 at all pretty much anyone probably already assumed. Special is complete fluff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Wait. The Special is a need to watch? Just heard it in a review. I thought that was Christmas fun? Marvel needs to stop doing this. 

Haven't seen the movie but I have seen the special and it is one of the worst pieces of media I've ever watched. So I highly doubt it's a "need to watch". Nothing happened in the special.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1