Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

Just now, filmlover said:

Step on your Jesus.

Eh, I'm being realistic here, and 535 seems somewhat tough. Not impossible but I'd say odds are in TDK's favor domestically.

Either way, TDK will move at least a spot down the list within the next year. It's cool. It happens.

• Like 2

This also begins Disney's year with a bang. Their slate definitely looks promising, even with Pirates of the Caribbean and Cars sequels that no one really seemed to be asking for in the mix.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Nice Saturday number! Should land around the 170m and take the March record. Another runaway success for our Disney overlords. They now occupy 6 of the top 10 biggest opening weekends of all time, probably 7 in a few months with GOTG2.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

So when we account for your Nolan bias that should put BATB about 5-10m over TDK :ph34r:

I can be surprisingly practical when it comes to this stuff....for example, you were way above me on Interstellar :kitschjob:

• Like 5

Dude!!! These numbers are awesome. Nostalgia is powerful if done well! Jeez, I can't get over how much money Disney seems to be making these days. 

I wouldn't underestimate pirates. It's the last one, at least that's what the trailer is advertising. And nostalgia for the first film will bring in audiences. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

back to back 500M grossers.

Hadn't thought of that actually. It's kind of insane that Disney has made more in two movies than Sony did with their entire slate last year.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, looks like Life won't be much of a threat: both Variety and Hollywood Reporter were mixed on it.

The threat from Life is not box office, it is screens. Life is getting a last minute IMAX release next weekend. Wonder how Sony swung that. Power Rangers is getting only PLF screens thanks to that. This is one crazy crowded March for sure.

17 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Eh, I'm being realistic here, and 535 seems somewhat tough. Not impossible but I'd say odds are in TDK's favor domestically.

Either way, TDK will move at least a spot down the list within the next year. It's cool. It happens.

Not a lot of films manage to stay in the top ten for a decade. Assuming we don't get a swarm of $533M+ grossers in the next couple of years it will be able to hold on to that.

• Like 2

Deadline does not know math continued

Disney’s Beauty and the Beast should easily end Saturday with $60M-$62M, which on the low end makes it the sixth best Saturday of all-time, and on the high end puts it past Captain America: Civil War ($61.2M). 

Remember how amazing Sunday was for Jurassic World, where it just took off in a way that we didn’t expect? (-18% on Sunday vs. Saturday with $57.2M). Some believe a similar phenomenon could take hold for Beauty on Sunday, pushing its three-day to, gulp, $180M. We’ll see.

Who adds these figures for them? An 18% hold will still put it at 173M, what are they smoking???

Other pics in the top five saw high double digit jumps Saturday over Friday. Warner Bros./Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island is showing a 69% increases today with $12.3M and a second weekend of $27.6M, -55% and a 10-day run of $108.9M. Beauty and Kong now put 2017’s tally of pics crossing $100M at nine including La La Land, Hidden Figures, Split, Fifty Shades Darker, Lego Batman, Get Out and Logan.

Speaking of Wolverine, Logan is raising his running total through his third weekend to $184.3M after an estimated $17.8M (-53%) and Saturday $7.7M (+65%). This makes the threequel easily the highest grossing title in the Wolverine trilogy beating 2009’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine ($179.88M). Logan has already left X-Men ($157.2M), last year’s X-Men: Apocalypse ($155.4M), X-Men: First Class ($146.4M) and The Wolverine ($132.6M) in the dust. His next conquest is X2: X-Men United ($214.9M).

Universal/Blumhouse’s Get Out was up 57% with $5.9M and a fourth frame take of $13.5M, -35% for a total by Sunday of $133.4M.

Great hold for Kong for sure. Logan doing well as well. Get Out continuing its good run.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Deadline does not know math continued

Who adds these figures for them? An 18% hold will still put it at 173M, what are they smoking???

Great hold for Kong for sure. Logan doing well as well. Get Out continuing its good run.

I need a job and I can multiply and add. Maybe I should apply? :thinking:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

I need a job and I can multiply and add. Maybe I should apply? :thinking:

I figured out how they got to 180M. 63.8M, 60M giving us 123.8M, then they took the 57M Jurassic World made and just added that figure to come to 180M without even thinking about what they were doing.

• Like 7