Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

Batman versus Superman had such toxic word-of-mouth that it couldn't even double its opening weekend. Literally the only $300 million grosser that has come anywhere near that distinction. Comparing Beauty and the Beast to it is completely ridiculous, as the Saturday number already proves it's not going to be that front loaded.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ocho said:

ac25f0663538c217fcf041e449ec5164.jpg

Doesn't Amy Adams have to be "The Little Mermaid"?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Casting a 42 year old as a 16 year old would be the epitome of casting actors way too old for the part :lol: 

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

TJB dropped 25%, so I think 46.5 is the floor.

I think a drop to near 20% is happening so  I think around ~50 million Sunday.

Sounds crazy but sunday afternoon is solid around here.

Yeah, I just need to accept it.

I lost my under 170 m OW bet for BatB. 

It's over. :sadben:

2 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Batman versus Superman had such toxic word-of-mouth that it couldn't even double its opening weekend. Literally the only $300 million grosser that has come anywhere near that distinction. Comparing Beauty and the Beast to it is completely ridiculous, as the Saturday number already proves it's not going to be that front loaded.

I agree, BVS is a case to be studied for generations, regarding word of mouth. :)

When even Fantastic Four 2015 managed to get a 2x multiplier, it's obvious there's something wrong with BVS in that regard.

Then again, BATB may miss 500 million domestic, despite such huge opening weekend. I mean, 500 million isn't a done deal yet. Movies like Civil War ( 179 million opening ) and Age of Ultron ( 191 million opening ) didn't get 500 million domestic. So, let's see the legs for next weeks and weekends, so we have a better idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I agree, BVS is a case to be studied for generations, regarding word of mouth. :)

When even Fantastic Four 2015 managed to get a 2x multiplier, it's obvious there's something wrong with BVS in that regard.

Then again, BATB may miss 500 million domestic, despite such huge opening weekend. I mean, 500 million isn't a done deal yet. Movies like Civil War ( 179 million opening ) and Age of Ultron ( 191 million opening ) didn't get 500 million domestic. So, let's see the legs for next weeks and weekends, so we have a better idea.

I said the same thing a while back and about 3 posters immediately jumped in and called me a wacko- Disney hater. Hope that doesn't happen to you, LOL. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I'm afraid she will go back to picking up indie films that once again will be hit or( mainly )miss so people will go back at saying she has no power at the Box Office.

In reality,there are no box office stars anymore,only stars that can take a movie that was always destined to be big snd make it a real ...beast.Emma is one of them.Hopefully she gets herself into one big franchise and in the meantime try to play in some indies.

True Emma in a Star Wars film would be s real gold mine.Who could she play?Right now i can see the executives of every big studio trying to find an iconic role to offer her.

Ahsoka Tano. :)

With huge openings, you ve already burned a lot of demand.

Doing 500m+ is rarefied air, even adjusted.

I am always surprised  how BOT members often compare multipliers of movies which had 20m OW,  50m OW, 100m OW, 150m OW and so on.

These comparisons never made sense to me.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Agreed. BatB does seem like something that could be leggier with GA than AoU and CW where team-up novelty wore off quickly (I guess adding more heroes to the team=/= bigger boxoffice with each addition). But we'll see. Als pointed out above, it already burned a lot of demand. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Just like I thought, people are already claiming that Watson is the aspect of this film that made it a smash. Evidently, her stellar record at the box office with non-HP films proves that it was not 26 years of pent-up nostalgia for a beloved classic what turned this remake into a monster; it was Emma's box office power, acting versatility, and —especially— her glorious singing. 

• Like 2

Just now, grey ghost said:

Question: Would Hollywood survive without nostalgia franchises?

You can't deny, they pay the bills.

They definitely don't seem to think they can.

21 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I said the same thing a while back and about 3 posters immediately jumped in and called me a wacko- Disney hater. Hope that doesn't happen to you, LOL. 

I think they are basing this on trends...all the Superhero film have very loyal fanvases that go see the movie opening weekend.The rush factor plays an important part so SH movie,like the ones mentioned,tend to be more frontloaded.A family film,like BaTB,usually has better legs.And in this case,the film,unlike current SH films,has many fans that are now grown ups and this target group usually shows up in later weekends(The exact same thing occured with Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beast this November.DS opened higher but FB eventually made more.Ironically enough CW/DS and BaTB/FB have even similar RT scores)

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Question: Would Hollywood survive without nostalgia franchises?

You can't deny, they pay the bills.

Remakes aren't exactly a new tool in the Hollywood business model arsenal.

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

With huge openings, you ve already burned a lot of demand.

Doing 500m+ is rarefied air, even adjusted.

I am always surprised  how BOT members often compare multipliers of movies which had 20m OW,  50m OW, 100m OW, 150m OW and so on.

These comparisons never made sense to me.

Absolutely this! 

The bigger the opening, the steeper the decline (caeteris paribus) It only makes sense to compare internal multipliers with movies of similar OW size. 

• Like 3

Some of you guys are talking about the Lion King and The Little Mermaid in terms of live action Disney remakes. 

Im betting all my money on Frozen being the biggest of them all. That's when they inevitably announce a live action remake of it. 

Queen Elsa for the win elsa_frozen_810_500_55_s_c1.jpg

• Like 5