FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

4 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Life is DOA

Not really. Why would there be any up front push for Life? It should do 15-20. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Not really. Why would there be any up front push for Life? It should do 15-20. 

I'll take that at this point but I don't think it can get there to be honest. 

Luckily for Sony, Life cost $58M to make so it doesn't need to set the box office on fire to make money. 

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

To be fair, a month is just as good as the movie line up is. This August is a joke while March was always expected to be big. 2014 and 2016 showed the potential that August can be a great month. But this March is definetly out of this world.

True and I think studios have realized that.  

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's gonna need OS to save it imo 

Overseas dont save movies. Movies are rarely made anymore with just US and Canada in mind.

• Like 3

Just now, filmlover said:

Still, compared to, for example, the $80M that Gravity cost, that's pretty impressive.

It's impressive because I heard the effects are good and it has a really good cast. So it's cool to see they were able to keep the budget lowered compared to other space films who have bigger stars.

But that OW is looking like a big yikes imo. 

So if Power Rangers is a success, can we expect a Rangers cinematic universe, now? I want gritty reboots of VR Troopers, Big Bad Beetleborgs, and Mystic Knights Tir Na Nog, at least. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Overseas dont save movies. Movies are rarely made anymore with just US and Canada in mind.

Of course. I think Life will be bigger OS than domestically. Probably like $100M OS and like $50-60M domestically depending on where it opens. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think it should be doing better given the push, premise, and leads...but it's within recent expectations.

Maybe so but Jake Gyllenhaal's highest opening weekend besides Prince of Persia was Jarhead and then prisoners neither of which grossed 30 million.  So and 18 million OW would be good imo. It could be a 200 mill WW kind of film.

1 minute ago, Nova said:

It's impressive because I heard the effects are good and it has a really good cast. So it's cool to see they were able to keep the budget lowered compared to other space films who have bigger stars.

But that OW is looking like a big yikes imo. 

Did anyone really expect a sci-fi movie with an extremely derivative marketing campaign starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds, two stars with the most inconsistent box office track records around, to make big bucks, though? Even Sony probably decided to move it out of summer altogether because they realized they didn't have a blockbuster on their hands.