FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

1 minute ago, Momo said:

So it is opening in China? What was the number in Brazil and Peru. I remember reading Super Sentai/PR tv shows were popular down there. Not that it has any reflection on the movie though.

POWER RANGERS popped off with a mediocre $18.7M internationally in 62 markets. MEX ($3M) BRZ ($2M) UK ($2M)

• Like 1

With estimates, Beauty and the Beast has had one of the strongest second weekend holds when looking at the biggest openers of all time (those that made $150+ million opening weekend). It’s second weekend gross represents the 4th best second weekend of all time, coming off an opening weekend that was the 6th best of all time. 

It will be interesting to see how it does over the next two weekends before The Fate of the Furious opens.

The Force Awakens was a beast no matter what, but combine that with a second weekend that had Christmas fall on the Friday (and the deflating Christmas Eve not fall on the weekend) and it benefitted from the holiday alignment of that year. Jurassic World benefitted from a Sunday that was nearly flat from Saturday due to Father’s Day.

The last Harry Potter may have the worst drop of the bunch, but it is at least partly a testament to how incredibly anticipated the final instalment of the Harry Potter series was. It made $43.5 million in previews (in 2011), close to 50% of it’s opening day, which is insane, and before The Force Awakens came along, was the highest preview gross ever (and by far; the next largest preview gross is The Dark Knight Rises' $30.6 million).

2nd Weekend Drops for Films with $150+ million Opening Weekends

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens: -39.8% (Christmas Holiday weekend /w no Christmas Eve)
  2. Jurassic World: 49.0% (Father’s Day Sunday)
  3. Beauty and the Beast: -49.4%
  4. Marvel’s The Avengers: -50.3%
  5. The Dark Knight: -52.5%
  6. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: -53.1%
  7. Iron Man 3: -58.4%
  8. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: -58.7%
  9. Avengers: Age of Ultron: -59.4%
  10. Captain America: Civil War: -59.5%
  11. The Dark Knight Rises: -61.4%
  12. Spider-Man 3: -61.5%
  13. The Hunger Games: -61.6%
  14. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: -69.1%
  15. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: -72.0%

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Lionsgate always does O/S pre-sales.  Bombing overseas will hurt all their partners but with a maybe $100m domestic + US ancillaries they should be fine.

The issue comes when they go back to them for distribution of future movies. They sold the OS distribution rights for Insurgent and Allegiant at the same time by showing it could increase from the first one OS (when the series was just supposed to be a trilogy) but could not manage to convince the distributors a 3rd time for Ascendant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

With estimates, Beauty and the Beast has had one of the strongest second weekend holds when looking at the biggest openers of all time (those that made $150+ million opening weekend). It’s second weekend gross represents the 4th best second weekend of all time, coming off an opening weekend that was the 6th best of all time. 

It will be interesting to see how it does over the next two weekends before The Fate of the Furious opens.

The Force Awakens was a beast no matter what, but combine that with a second weekend that had Christmas fall on the Friday (and the deflating Christmas Eve not fall on the weekend) and it benefitted from the holiday alignment of that year. Jurassic World benefitted from a Sunday that was nearly flat from Saturday due to Father’s Day.

The last Harry Potter may have the worst drop of the bunch, but it is at least partly a testament to how incredibly anticipated the final instalment of the Harry Potter series was. It made $43.5 million in previews, close to 50% of it’s opening day, which is insane, and before The Force Awakens came along, was the highest preview gross ever (and by far; the next largest preview gross is The Dark Knight’s $30.6 million).

2nd Weekend Drops for Films with $150+ million Opening Weekends

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens: -39.8% (Christmas Holiday weekend /w no Christmas Eve)
  2. Jurassic World: 49.0% (Father’s Day Sunday)
  3. Beauty and the Beast: -49.4%
  4. Marvel’s The Avengers: -50.3%
  5. The Dark Knight: -52.5%
  6. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: -53.1%
  7. Iron Man 3: -58.4%
  8. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: -58.7%
  9. Avengers: Age of Ultron: -59.4%
  10. Captain America: Civil War: -59.5%
  11. The Dark Knight Rises: -61.4%
  12. Spider-Man 3: -61.5%
  13. The Hunger Games: -61.6%
  14. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: -69.1%
  15. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: -72.0%

Peace,

Mike

It might move ahead of JW with actual.

Deadline says industry estimate is $90.4M (-48.3%)

Edited by bladels

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The issue comes when they go back to them for distribution of future movies. They sold the OS distribution rights for Insurgent and Allegiant at the same time by showing it could increase from the first one OS (when the series was just supposed to be a trilogy) but could not manage to convince the distributors a 3rd time for Ascendant.

Don't get me started on how Lionsgate fucks up OS partners. Gods of Egypt, Last Witch Hunter and Deepwater Horizon were sold for 100M each lmao. Insurgent were 65M and Allegiant 85M. I assume Power Rangers was also 100M.

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Don't get me started on how Lionsgate fucks up OS partners. Gods of Egypt, Last Witch Hunter and Deepwater Horizon were sold for 100M each lmao. Insurgent were 65M and Allegiant 85M. I assume Power Rangers was also 100M.

Those need a source. 

Last Witch Hunter being sold for $100m to foreign markets I find very very hard to believe. 

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Has Lifes OS numbers been released?

Not that I know of. Does anyone know where it's been released? I know Aus, Germany, Russia and possibly France? 

Not sure about any of other markets like Brazil, UK, South Korea etc. 

Hasn't gotten released in Japan for sure. 

Also is it getting a China release? 

Under 50% drop, what a beast! I know several on here predicted 100 mil second weekend, but grossing close to 90 mil is unbelievable. I guess I underestimated how popular and revered the original animated version is.

1 minute ago, Momo said:

Wow so even less then 163M in total OS. F4 had 111M OS. Will it even reach that number?

Unless it explodes in China 111M are unlikely.